Fuel tank, two or three pipes, your preference?

martin collins 1

Advert

11 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

Good point Manish - and why I always have good quality filters on my fuelling system. 

Well, after a good night's sleep I realise the real problem of filling the tank using the carburettor feed, is it's putting the dirt straight into the carburettor and the filter is only filtering exhaust muck.

10 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

All I can say Paul is that you must have a really dirty fuelling system!

No I get through a lot of fuel, 4 days flying this last week on my Raptor .50, that's around 3 litres of fuel this week and I will be flying again this afternoon.

Ps, I forgot to mention, I do a lot of fuel mixing, at the moment some local rubbish mixed( dirt in the bottom of the container) with the blue British stuff that Jon hates with 2% of that loverly Castor oil, also a bit of dirt on the funnel won't help.

Edited by Paul De Tourtoulon
Ps

6 minutes ago, Andy Stephenson said:

I practice, I've found that a second clunk isn't required if you direct a piece of fuel tube down to the bottom and the back of the tank.

Tank2.jpg

My preferred method. Used it for years with no issues. Plus always use sintered metal filter clunk in tank and supply in field box.

Edited by Engine Doctor
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Engine Doctor said:

sintered metal filter clunk in tank

No, thanks they do get blocked, ( fibres from cheap rubbish castor oils )  use a good filter in the carburettor fuel line if you must use a filter.

The only filters I use are on my helicopters, and a felt chain saw clunk in my jet turbines.

Edited by Paul De Tourtoulon
a

2 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

No, thanks they do get blocked, ( fibres from cheap rubbish castor oils )  use a good filter in the carburettor fuel line if you must use a filter...

I agree, no matter how much you filter the fuel from the bottle into the tank there's always the possibility of debris getting in especially if there's exhaust pressure applied to the tank.

5 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

No, thanks they do get blocked, ( fibres from cheap rubbish castor oils )  use a good filter in the carburettor fuel line if you must use a filter.

The only filters I use are on my helicopters, and a felt chain saw clunk in my jet turbines.

Simple answer is dont use castor oil cheap or otherwise. Its old school , not good for modern engines and varnishes engine internals. Synthetic is far superior. 

If its an old engine with iron piston and liner then high quality first pressing castor should be used. 

A sintered filter in your filling can will prevent anything getting into the tank. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

If it uses cheap rubbish castor (whether or not you favour any top quality first pressing oil) then it’s not only expensive but a total rip off - which I certainly wouldn’t be buying. 

My excellent 10% costs me £18 a gallon. 

You are in England, fuel is a silly price here and over taxed.

What do you use and who sells it ?.

Can MP me if you don't want to go public.

13 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

You are in England, fuel is a silly price here and over taxed.

What do you use and who sells it ?.

Can MP me if you don't want to go public.

I'm also using Southern Modelcraft Fuels.. 10 % Synthetic for my Shuttle (Heli ) @ £23 p/gal  ( OS 32-F) & Sport Mix Diesel for my Ben Buckle Scorpion

( PAW 19RC ) @ £28 p/1/2 gal, which I buy direct from them & collect but then they ore only 2 minutes round the road from me