Elapor ding removal

Terry Plumridge 1

Prick the area with a thickish pin, squeeze a wet cloth on the dented area - the idea is to get the water into the pin holes. Now go over the area with a hot covering iron or household smoothing iron. The iron should be hot enough to turn the water to steam. The hot steam & pressure created will cause the crushed Elapor to expand from within. 

• Like 2

On a couple of Parkzone EPO repairs I've used the microwaveable wheat bags to deliver heat to the crushed foam and restore it to something like the original configuration. The side effect of any form of heat treatment is that you might well get that alligator skin texture as the beads of foam expend. I rather like Pat's suggestion of using a covering iron to expand water in the foam to steam - will have to try that next time.

Boiling is in my experience the best and to keep its application local I use an old flannel or dishcloth that i soak and place on the affected area. One of my local club members had a crash recently and one wing panel had several dings. One very major one too, and I was able to remove all of them this way.