2024 Mass Build

Thanks for your comments which all make sense. I’ve now put my name down with Richard for one of these so am looking forward to giving it a go. Part of the attraction will be watching the progress of other people building the same model and learning from their experience. Should be fun !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Outrunner said:

My Balsacraft 48" Spitfire stopped breaking props when I switched from my usual ACPe to a 2 bladed Graupner cam prop.

Lovely model by the way, just like Richard's new warbirds, very light no undercarriage or flaps or rudder, pity they don't make them anymore.

Yup - but the kits regularly turn up on eBay, often for in the order of £100-120, which is good value for a very comprehensive kit in today's market.

I've got two that I'm refurbishing at the moment -one is in the original lightweight configuration with a Mega 22/30-3 inrunner and is nearly done, just the panel lines and weathering to be finished before final gearing up- I'll post pictures in due course. The other had been fitted with retracts, a brushless outrunner and a big steel block to balance and feels much heavier. There have been frequent claims made that the Ripmax Spitfire is essentially the same as the Balsacraft, but that simply isn't true - they are approximately the same size, but the structure is quite different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPsujZ6994g&t=21s

Very good Mike . Bruce Dickenson also does a nice little piece in front of the Tempest on you tube .

I know we cant see a real one flying (at the moment ) but we can certainly get an idea of how potent it was by watching the display shown in the link. 

The performance was pretty much the same . I wouldn't have wanted to be on the wrong end of that !!!

When you see the last piston engined fighters , like the Sea Fury and Bearcat , you realise what a quantum leap they were from the Battle of Britain protagonists .  

• Like 1

I'm not going to pin myself down on times , mostly because its not entirely in my control . Although the design is 95% complete and ready to have cut , I have to get the Kit cutter to fit in the prototype first . I cant build a hand built version then launch straight into a kit version that has loads of little mods . As with 190 , it wont have a manual , just a plan so the on line prototype build has to be done and documented before I can press go on 35 kits . 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Paul Johnson 4 said:

Having worked with Richard over the last few years I can promise that it is a labour of passion and not financial gain that produce these kits.

Even 35 kits leaves very little, if anything in the kity.

Oh no, I wasn't thinking of money. I meant it's a nice level of participation.......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Oh no, I wasn't thinking of money. I meant it's a nice level of participation.......

Yes the level of participation is good and it will be great to see more build logs rather than one or maybe two but with massive views only.

It's really satisfying to see more people sharing their build experience after all the hard work that goes into producing these kits.

We all approach the building in different ways and the more diversity on how we achieve the final objective helps everyone.

• Like 2