Magnatilla Pilot ideas

Halsey

Hi

I'm just about to start a Flair Magnatilla build and I want a pilot - it doesn't seem to be possible to get new old stock anywhere (which I guess isn't a surprise) so any thoughts/ideas/solutions would be welcomed.

I don't have access to a 3d printer.

Thanks in anticipation of loads of replies 😂

J

Advert

36 minutes ago, Geoff S said:

I have made the Flair 'Albert' who once piloted my SE5a, but now replaced, into a traitor as he's destined for my Fokker DVIII 'Razor' and will battle his former aeroplane over the skies and trenches of ... Ashbourne, probably 🙂

Several German fighter pilots flew in captured British flying clothing because it was superior to anything they were issued with. Adolf Ritter von Tutshcek perhaps being the most famous. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Ritter_von_Tutschek

I'm in the process of making a couple of 'Spandau' guns for my Fokker DVIII.  They are certainly cartoon scale but I'm trying to de-cartoonise them a little.

1764006817_Spandau01.thumb.jpg.c64bad12de209761a133ae79eeb47b81.jpg

The barrel is a piece of 5mm carbon rod and the ventilated cylinder was made from a piece of perforated aluminium sheet I bought on eBay £3.50) as a 100mm x 100 mm square - enough for 2.  If I told you how long it's taken me so far, you'd laugh but the second should be quicker as I won't have to search my junk drawer for inspiration (which never actually arrived!)  Hopefully when I've added something to simulate the mechanisms and painted it all matt black it'll look a bit more realistic.

Sarik do a 3D printed Spandau about the right scale for £16.50 but I balk at £33 for a couple of guns although if I costed my crude versions per hour, £33 would be a bargain 🙂

• Haha 1

On 04/12/2023 at 09:20, Halsey said:

Hi

I'm just about to start a Flair Magnatilla build and I want a pilot - it doesn't seem to be possible to get new old stock anywhere (which I guess isn't a surprise) so any thoughts/ideas/solutions would be welcomed.

I don't have access to a 3d printer.

Thanks in anticipation of loads of replies 😂

J

Have a nosey on ebay I picked up a couple of 3d printed chaps for my old Parkzone Mosquito in a reduced size. Here is an ebay number, probably not what you need but a quick search will throw up plenty of them in various sizes. eBay item number:364554315152

• Thanks 1

My Sopwith Pup pilot came from 'Real Model Pilots'. He looks both determined and fierce.  He comes plain so blame me for the painting.

DSCF0011.thumb.JPG.91da9934a5806b2cd6133ea9662e0785.JPG

I know the Kiwi doesn't look like a Kiwi but, whoever painted it in 1917 (or whenever) on the Pup I've chosen to represent, had probably never seen one 🙂

• Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 20:02, Flyboy3 said:

Best flying model I have built many moons ago. Regarding pilot I remember on drawing referring to German helmet “ spike essential” lol.

My new one (Steve Webb models £18 1:6 ) has the "spike" and is latex so very light.