SD Card not seen by printer

Erfolg

As my existing Micro SD cards are pretty full I purchased an additional card.

The card is QUMOX 64GB, it seems fine at receiving STL code from Autodesk Fusion 360 to and transferring the sliced object from Ultimate Cura to the card.

However after inserting the card into by Ender printer, the menu says no card present.

I have repeated the various operations a number of times. I have formatted the card, repeated the various operations, with the same result.

Looking at the 😧 drive content, both the STL and G code appear to be there.

Rather than delay what I am doing I have ordered a same size (that is GB) Scandisk.

Still would kike to understand the problem and fix it if possible.

I had two memory cards that I used in turn to transfer print files to my printer...one lived in the PC and the other in the printer - then the printer control board failed to read either of them.   So I bought a replacement PCB and fitted it.  It still failed to read either card which definitely had files on as I could read them in my PC.

I put another memory card in it with an STL file on it and it read it perfectly.  Printer working and all was well but I never found what had happened to those cards - which still worked fine in other devices.  I tried reformatting in every format that could conceivably be read to no avail...

I have a problem with static. Maybe its the nylon content in the carpet but after 3 paces from the PC to the printer I frequently quite a crack when I touch any metal part on the printer. I fear for the micro SD card if the discharge occurred over it so I now always touch the vertical lead screw (I know that is earthed) before inserting the card.

I have had the printer more than once fail to read the card despite CURA writing to it successfully. So far reformatting the card and reloading the STL has proved successful.

I am sure it is only a matter of time before the card will fail completely.

2 hours ago, Shaun Walsh said:

What capacity were the other cards? It may be that the Ender will not see sdxc cards or the formatting is different, is the new card formatted to fat32?

As above, are you sure the card is formatted to fat32?

No knowledge of Qumox, I only use SanDisk and have never experienced an issue.

Edited by PDB

I am hoping I have been lucky in that I ordered a 32GB Scandisk before your posts Allen and FlyinFlynn.

If I had a little more patience and a lot more knowledge these cock ups, could be avoided by me.

Time will tell🙄.

Thanks for the help, hopefully a lesson learnt.

My problem and solution may not quite relate to your situation, but....

I have a Qidi printer that I am very happy with. Some while ago I also had trouble with inserting an SD card and it not being recognised, other times it was quite happy with the SD card.

Eventually I twigged that happiness was related to the SD card being present when I powered up the printer  and unhappiness was related to inserting the card after power up. The solution was easy, whenever you need to insert a card power down first. Slightly annoying but not a major issue.

16 hours ago, PDB said:

No need to have purchased another card, you can reformat the QUMOX as FAT32.

It maybe that Linux will allow that natively but a windows machine will not when using the standard windows utilities. Something like partition master will need to be downloaded. Be careful not to partition master your main storage devices!

8 minutes ago, FlyinFlynn said:

It maybe that Linux will allow that natively but a windows machine will not when using the standard windows utilities. Something like partition master will need to be downloaded. Be careful not to partition master your main storage devices!

Any version of Windows will using the built in utility diskpart.

image.thumb.png.a91885929c278610fec0bd53e797ab5e.png

Edited by PDB

I will try and reformat the new old card, in a way, there is nothing to loose.

In the mean time I suspect that the Scandisk is probably a non UK supply. I expected the card to arrive in a day, maybe two, as a Prime purchase.

In reality it it is coming from somewhere with a 5 day postal service, I wonder where?

Surprisingly it was nowhere near the lowest cost Scandisk. I really should have looked closer at Amazon add, I will try to remind myself in future.🤨

1 hour ago, Philip Lewis 3 said:

Or if you don't like DOS commands then click on "this PC" to open explorer and show the drives then right click on the drive you want then pick format from the drop down, select file system as FAT 32 (which will likely be the default) and then click start, won#t really matter whether you do quick or not. 

We’re talking about a 64GB card, via the Windows UI there’s a 32GB partition limit.

20 hours ago, PDB said:

Any version of Windows will using the built in utility diskpart.

image.thumb.png.a91885929c278610fec0bd53e797ab5e.png

Only if it is less than 32GB.

Note: If the 64GB SD card only has a single partition, you can’t directly format the partition to FAT32 with Disk Management. Windows Disk Management only allows you to format a drive under 32GB to FAT32. To solve this, you can right-click the partition on the SD card and choose Shrink to shrink the partition (limited to NTFS partition) to 32GB. Right-click the Free space and click New Simple Volume to create another 32GB partition on the SD card. Then you can follow the 3 steps above to format these two 32GB partitions to FAT32 format.

(https://www.minitool.com/partition-disk/how-to-format-64gb-sd-card-to-fat32.html)

Stay calm if you are experiencing the same issue: Windows doesn't allow you to format 64GB or bigger SD card to FAT32. Follow through this guide, and you'll get a complete and easy guide to successfully format your SD card and other types of storage devices into FAT32 as easy as 123. Let's get started here. 

(https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/format-64gb-sd-card-to-fat32.html)

I would suggest asking a computer novice to mess around with partitioning  disks is a recipe for disaster.. it's ok if you know what you are doing but someone will end up partitioning their system drive.

FlyinFlynn

Perhaps I will just accept that the SD card I purchased is not immediately useful, to me. Better that, than create chaos on my PC or lap top.

In the next day or two the ScanDisk card should arrive, I will then see if that will work on my Ender3. If not, I will purchase an even smaller capacity card.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Erfolg said:

FlyinFlynn

Perhaps I will just accept that the SD card I purchased is not immediately useful, to me. Better that, than create chaos on my PC or lap top.

In the next day or two the ScanDisk card should arrive, I will then see if that will work on my Ender3. If not, I will purchase an even smaller capacity card.

Good plan.

• 1 month later...