Warbird Replicas FW190 newbie build (or possibly some wellingtons)

Lipo Man

Dont worry about the weight . Remember that my similar size designs with retracts all weigh 6lb and still handle nicely . 

Effectively you are still more than a pound under weight . 

I like your paint so far . Great Job . 

If I might say so sir , 

I admire your balls .....

The next step is going to be a masking challenge 😁

Overall effect with plenty of weathering , could be stunner . 

I always like dirtying up yellow panels with rivets and charcoal . Totally the opposite of "toy like" . 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

The next step is going to be a masking challenge 😁

Overall effect with plenty of weathering , could be stunner . 

Agree the masking is a bit complex. I’m tempted to try it first making the red and white triangles with waterslide decals. Same for the tail. Worth a try, anyway. Plan B is masking and painting…

After taking some scissors to the kitchen sponge I’m starting to develop my “soft edges” technique. It won’t win any prizes close up, but on a fast low pass down the strip I think it’ll look good enough!

IMG_4644.jpeg

IMG_4643.jpeg

• Like 5

looks good so far . I found that if you put the blotch colour on a piece of card , dab into it with the sponge and then keep dabbing onto scrap paper till its nearly dry . 

Then the last few dabs are very light onto the plane and the edges come out very soft . You can also do it with a soft brush .

Paint has to be almost gone and dry . Try it on some paper. Once you're confident , you can soft edge the blotches you already have . 

Yellow is spot on BTW . 

Great job . 

• Thanks 1

A few hours on the computer this afternoon using Inkscape to make my own decals for my chosen scheme. I need to get some matt varnish spray to seal them before fitting - the test for size on the wing is just paper. 

IMG_4645.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Decals starting to go on. On the upside the triangles on the cowl look great! On the other side of the equation, they aren’t sticking brilliantly to the matt painted surface. The plan is to lacquer over the top but I may need to apply some PVA around the edges here and there. Hopefully they will work out…

IMG_4652.jpeg

IMG_4630.jpeg

• Like 1

Could someone tell me where Rons weathering/panel line  video is please, or provide a link.

Many thanks  Graham (Cornwall)

I actually thought Eric was going to do one, as he mentioned it on the brown paper vid.

It is the next one in the multi chapter build vids that I’ve done although I did reference weathering in the last couple of vids. I did also mention weathering in the vid I did on brown paper covering.

So just to confirm that the next vid will be about panel lines, weathering and shading and I will be shooting it tonight!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve stopped painting/weathering until it’s flown - don’t want to jinx it! However, I’m definitely a bit nervous about hand launching it as my club mates and I have a chequered history in that regard. So - some shed engineering using left overs and I’ve got a dolly. Hurrah!

IMG_4671.jpeg

IMG_4670.jpeg

IMG_4681.jpeg

• Like 1

The Focke had a trip to the flying field this afternoon for a range check - all seems good. I also seem to have sorted the stuttering motor after re-soldering the motor bullet connectors. I need to make a couple of modifications to the take off dolly to make it a bit more secure but otherwise I’m ready for a maiden. Main problem at this stage is the waterslide decals, which aren’t adhering to the Matt paint at all. I think I’ll have to give up on them and reprint on sticky paper instead. Should have thought of that in the first place!

Motor test, btw, shows 60A at WOT. By my calculation that gives me almost 200W/lb power to weight - plenty!

IMG_4686.jpeg

IMG_4687.jpeg

IMG_4688.jpeg

• Like 9

Hi

i usually find nothing sticks to Matt paint in the long run , I  normally give my models a light coat of clear gloss were I want transfer/ stickers etc then a light coat of satin all over the entire model  , right or wrong I don’t know just my personal preference 

Andy 

5D91551C-03E7-4093-8C2A-AE283C4CA922.jpeg

Edited by andrew exton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, andrew exton said:

Hi

i usually find nothing sticks to Matt paint in the long run , I  normally give my models a light coat of clear gloss were I want transfer/ stickers etc then a light coat of satin all over the entire model  , right or wrong I don’t know just my personal preference 

Andy 

5D91551C-03E7-4093-8C2A-AE283C4CA922.jpeg

That’s good to know. I’ll do the same!

I was a bit nervous about hand launching, so I've built a rudimentary take-off dolly. I've never tried taking off from one before, and this morning realised I could test it with a plane that was a known quantity - my scratch-built Flitetest P47.  It's a similar sized warbird - albeit it's dramatically lighter so much easier to fly.

Anyway - I took the P47 to the field and had a go, and amazingly it worked! I even got a bit of video on my phone as proof.  Not sure how it will cope with the weight of the FW190 but at least I know I can take off from a dolly.  Another risk of potential disaster eliminated!

If I can get the spinner and prop sufficiently balanced tomorrow I may get the chance to maiden it on Saturday. It's getting real...

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

After a few modifications to my take-off dolly I was ready for a maiden - and the weather this afternoon was pretty decent so I had finally run out of excuses.  I must admit I was pretty nervous as it's a heavier model than anything I've flown before.  But...

Oh wow. What an absolutely lovely flyer! I had the CG about 80mm back from F2 (so a little further back than the instructions recommend, but Ron had flown his there so I knew it should be OK) and had a 2800mAh 4s with a 12x8 prop. It took off smoothly from the dolly and climbed away with hardly any input from me at all.  I was flying quite slowly as the spinner clearly wasn't adequately balanced, and the recommended throws (with 30% expo) were very gentle - I'm sure if I were going faster it would be more "decisive". Landing was easy, once I'd got my head around how much energy it carried - it seems to glide for ever. I also was amazed how much it would slow down - even at 2Kg weight.  All in all I am extremely chuffed - congratulations to Richard on a fabulous design.

So - remaining jobs are 3d print and paint a pilot, fit the canopy and finish the painting, weathering and decals.  Can't wait to fly it again with all that lot done!

I'm off for a celebratory glass of something!

And last but not least - thanks to fellow club member Helal for capturing the excitement on video...

• Like 9