Warbirds Replicas FW190 2023 version - a VLOG of the build

Ron Gray

I had to replace the motor on mine, the Overlander that was in the model was faulty so I had to get another one. Tested it yesterday and at WOT with an APC 12x8 it's pulling 60a and producing just over 800W which should be more than enough! A word of caution though if you have the alloy spinners, test them for balance, mine was quite a bit out, turning the front section through 180º helped but it still needed a bit of balance weight.

• Thanks 1

On 15/02/2024 at 09:36, Ron Gray said:

I had to replace the motor on mine, the Overlander that was in the model was faulty so I had to get another one. Tested it yesterday and at WOT with an APC 12x8 it's pulling 60a and producing just over 800W which should be more than enough! A word of caution though if you have the alloy spinners, test them for balance, mine was quite a bit out, turning the front section through 180º helped but it still needed a bit of balance weight.

Hi Ron, Just thinking about what you said here...How did you rig up a check of the spinner for balance ?

The video is currently being uploaded to YouTube. TBH it's not the best video due to the fact that I had the GoPro angled too high and that it was a really horrible sky for photos. The video is actually the second flight as I hadn't go the camera switched on for the maiden! From the launch I didn't need to input any trim changes at all, it just flew straight and level out of the launcher's hand but I felt that it was a bit nose heavy. So for the second flight which the video shows I had removed 1/3rd of the nose weight which made it slightly more sensitive but the 45º inverted climb showed it to still be nose heavy, however the onlookers all agreed that it didn't look as good as it did in the maiden flight. So I will be putting a bit more lead back in the ballast box. The stall is non existent and it was 'planted' throughout its flights showing a good (non scale) turn of speed with WOT, flight times were circa 8 minutes which left just over 30% in the 3700mAh 4s packs. It does take a bit of time to slow down on landing so lower approaches are the order of the day but it comes in nice and flat. Hand launching was easy and there was no torque roll or nose dipping.

It's a winner!

• Like 2

Ron,

Great to see a very successful first flight of your  Warbirds FW190. It looks super and it seemed very fast in the flybys and even on landing!

I am sure all of us following your build videos are very grateful for the massive effort you put into making these informative videos. Personally, I learned a lot. Thank you for taking the lead and spending so much time of your time on behalf of others.

Good luck! 

• Like 1

Many thanks for your kind words Gordon, I’ve said this before but getting these sort of responses make it all worthwhile especially when things have been learnt from them! There will be more build Vlogs as I have quite few to do!

Regarding the FW’s speed, for the vast majority of the flights it was flown a bit faster than ‘scale’ so that I could get used to it and it was also flown way faster than scale when I was doing some full throttle fly pasts as that always brings a grin! The landings weren’t too bad as long as the approach is a long one which gives the model time to slow down, the next flights should be better as I’ve now settled on the amount of noseweight required and I now know how it flies. I will be filming it again to makeup for the poor quality of the last one!

• Like 1

Hi Ron,

As we fiy from grass which is not cut till March, sometimes later if there has been a lot of rain. I made my dolly with 2,  4" wheels at the front and one 2" at the rear to reduce friction, each wheel is independent so no axles to drag in the grass.

Up to now it is close on 60 launches with the FW190 and Corsair and no fails , I hope I haven't jinxed it as I'm off flying as soon as the mist clears.

6” front, 5” rear all independent axles on mine Eric. For that last vid I had freed and oiled the axles so they were all free running, I think the dolly is too heavy! So I can make a new, lighter dolly or add some power to this one 😲

The other thing I had thought about doing was change the prop from the 12 x 8 to a 12 x 6, the x 8 gives it plenty of thrust (2x its weight) but the lower pitch should accelerate quicker?

Edited by Ron Gray

I think if we've learnt anything about dolly launching , its that the closer you can get to it just being "a normal " aeroplane the better . What I mean is , Erics dolly adds very little above a fixed undercarriage set up .The commercial one seem too big , too high and too heavy . 

Basically a wooden crucifix with a pair of old bent wire legs and some wheels of 3" or above will probably do the job . 

• Like 2

Completely agree Richard, From what I've seen the most successful dollies are the simplest and raise the model no higher than a normal fixed undercarriage would do. Once you start putting the model onto a mobile scaffolding set up you seem to run into all sorts of trouble. The exception which I have seen work are some tall dollies for launching very large electric gliders, which are high wingers and they do seem to benefit from a higher sitting position.

• Like 1

My dolly was originally built to launch delta wings both EDF and pusher but mainly the latter as I have some potential bacon slicers powered by 6s and there is no way anyone, including me, will go anywhere near them for launching. Hence why I said that I think the problem is one of weight. A new one has been designed!

• Like 1