Keeping Warm When Winter Flying

I had a good flying session today, but the temperature was around 4°C. Fortunately the wind was sub 5mph, but the old fingers and toes did suffer somewhat.

Usually I wrap up with thermal leggings under my jeans and a long sleeve thermal top under a long sleeve T-shirt, then long sleeve jumper and coat. Then there's the wooly hat and scarf. Two pairs of socks are the order of the day, but less than an hour standing on the cold damp grass my toes begin to suffer the rising cold. Usually my toes dictate when I will go home, typically after 2 or 3 hours. I fly thumbs and use fingerless gloves, which I trade for full-on soft leather gloves when I'm not flying. But the old digits do suffer and usually need warming up in my pockets in between flights.

Today was a much longer and more enjoyable session because I tried Hothands hand warmers on the recommendation of a club member.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hands-Hand-Warmer-Value-pairs/dp/B00N3X3JLI/ref=mp_s_a_1_8

At around £1 a pair they look like a double sized tea bag. They are activated by removing from a sealed plastic wrapper. After 15mins or so they get up to temperature and fit nicely in the palm of your hand inside your gloves and help keep your fingers warm. Also, they don't interfere with holding your transmitter. But the real advantage was using them in my foot ware too. After putting on my first pair of socks I put one 'tea bag' under my toes, held them in place with a little masking tape, then put on a second pair of socks. By the time I arrived at the field today my fingers and toes were toasty, and stayed that way all day. A real game changer and I highly recommend them. And they really do last 10 hours.

What additional measures do you take to keep your extremities warm when flying these cold days?

Edited by Futura57
  • Like 1

Advert

I've been using those footwarmers this winter and also invested in a couple of the lipo powered  handwarmers. Decent Thinsulate gloves with thumb and forefinger cut off for flying and a Thinsulate wooly hat. The biggest difference has been using a full body thermal lined suit, which is fantastic - wouldn't be without it. Highly recommended.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CK4H3GCQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

The lithium-powered rechargeble handwarmers (amazon etc) are brilliant, I'm outside all day and these have been a real boon. Previously I've used lighter-fuel ones, charcoal ones, the boily-clicky ones, & single-use throwaways, but the lithiums are the most dependable by far.

• Like 1

Weezle Extreme one piece undersuit (from my scuba diving days) and lined duck boots of no particular brand. Don’t usually need gloves with that setup, but have fingeless fleece ones I converted to with a pair if scissors. Never did find a use for the left-over fleece fingers.

For a good few years I’ve been using Zippo lighter fuel hand warmers and they have been excellent but this year, despite replacing the burners I just couldn’t get either to work so I spent £25 on a pair of Li-ion ones and they are nearly as good. I too wear a one piece padded over suit which keeps out the wind but I also have a heated waistcoat (from my motor cycling days) which is brilliant. I also kept the heated inner gloves for when it gets really cold but it’s probably too cold for flying if they’re needed!

Nice see thru " tx muff"....I think there is a market for an inflatable tx muff ?

Althought the dickies quilted overall are good they do not have side zips on the legs like the walls Zerozone one had which makes putting it on and taking it off so easy with h boots/shoes on.

One of those furry lined peaked hats with furry side flap ear covers are great, but need modifying with a wing band rather that a tie together strap, to stop you looking like a hound with big ears flapping in the wind.

Get the wife to knit a "neck tube" from wool, or cut the sleeves of a knackerd jumper and join together.

Bikers or should I say motorcycleists ( biker inffers summer Weekender rider to me, anyone doing the "dragon" this year ? ) know how to keep out the cold....

I also use fingerless gloves but when it's really cold I use the large "trigger finger and thumb" over mitts.

12 minutes ago, Colin Carpenter said:

Must be abnormal. Only a coat over a flannel shirt. Gloves with finger/ thumb cut off if required. Possibly a scarf if it’s a little windy. Waterproof walking boots for the mud ! Love flying on frosty ,🌞🌞non windy days. Dont get many of those any longer. 

I don't think you are abnormal, I just thing some pilots on here set the MAUW too low and need to add a bit of timber!

1 hour ago, Rich Griff said:

anyone doing the "dragon" this year ? )

Quite some time since I did that, and used to just bear the cold as I was too impoverished to afford better. Fast Forward a few decades and I think I'll get some electric heating. 

To answer the question. Not this year, however hopefully next.