Xfly Twin Otter 1800mm PNP

An early birthday present ( beginning of Feb ) 

The Xfly Twin Otter arrived today. SWMBO has chipped in to give me my first foamy twin. Looks easy enough to assemble but as usual after a quick look at the destruction, very quiet on the electrical set up.

I'll post up a picture or two but wont be completely unboxing as it looks like a complicated affair. I have a couple of foamie now and think I will stick to them for the immediate future after gaining my solo ..... plus a little more experience. All high wingers and relatively sensible for a new pilot.

Further incentive to get my finger out and gain competency. 

Pictures to follow later.

Toto

• Like 1

Hi Rich,

Never seen febs rcm&e as yet but its yellow and blue in colour.

Iwill be posting a picture up of the box later tonight which should answer your question. Looks the business that's for sure. 

The shed is bulging now so I need to put the brakes on .... or crash a couple which is more likely ....:classic_laugh:

Check the post in an hour or two .... the photo will be up.

Cheers

Toto

4 minutes ago, Rich Griff said:

Hi toto, is that the one in FEBS rcme ?

I have slightly more funds these days, something like 50 days nicotene free....but boy I would still like a fag !

I notice your addiction us still ongoing......

Well done Rich, you should have loads of money for a new model after giving up the fags!

I gave up on December 31st 1986, not sure how many days that is but I definitely wouldn't like another one! After a couple of months I thought that they are the most disgusting smell and a filthy habit and my money is better spent in the model shop.

Buying kits can be addictive too, and expensive!

Hi Jake,

I looked at the twin nova earlier today ( not that I am buying one as I need to calm down a bit ) and they also looked very good. I like the benefit of the larger wingspan also as they are definitely easier on the peepers.

Good luck with the nova and let us know how you get on with it ...... some piccies would be good as well.

Cheers

To5o

Apologies for the slightly blurry image ...... but here it is .....

P1120511.thumb.JPG.c210de8083a68326bdd4dc8cc328d564.JPG

I have some 6s lipos already but they are 4800mah not the 5000 - 6000 mah as it calls for.☹️

thats it for now ..... the shed is absolutely perishing.

toto

• Like 2

Thank you Murat kind Sir. Am I right in saying it may be just a slightly shorter flight duration ?

I ran my Beaver on the 4800 mah batteries and I'm sure from memory I was comfortably getting eight minutes from a battery.

Learner / Grumpy ..... no more orders required .... :classic_biggrin: it comes with motors, ESC's and servo's built in. Hmmmmm ..... just need a receiver. No rush though.

Toto

Yes, I know. It was an attempt at humour aimed at your spending spree...... the major issue with having lots of planes is deciding which ones to take to the field (in my opinion), especially if they're not too diverse.

I end up taking one specific plane just about every time, plus a couple of others depending on the weather conditions.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Yes, I know. It was an attempt at humour aimed at your spending spree...... the major issue with having lots of planes is deciding which ones to take to the field (in my opinion), especially if they're not too diverse.

I end up taking one specific plane just about every time, plus a couple of others depending on the weather conditions.

I've sold half of my planes last couple of years for this reason.

I only take 2 now that take the same batteries.

Used to take more but some would only fly once and realised it wasnt worth the bother.

My flyings improved big time using the same plane most of the time as well so win win.

• Thanks 1

Hi toto,

Very nice toto, not the one in FEBS rcme, xfly P68 33.5 inch wingspan.....

Did you set up your "battery register" to keep check on your lipo's ?

I have 13 now ( tempting fate there ) of 5 different types, duplicated being identified by colour, letter or number, all recorded in a note book just for lipo's.....

At least 2 of each type so two flights per battery application pet flying session.

A duplicate for the "odd" battery is at the top of my next order list.

Have a great day toto.....

Good news for me, have permission for third local flying site but it'd a treck to get to, needing wellies for the big puddle( small lake and boggy ground ) and a detour up and around the dangerouse bit.

Happy days but the sun is low this time of year....fancy living where I do and moaning about the sun eh !

Edited by Rich Griff

Hi Rich,

I did start up a battery register but it needs to be updated a bit. I have bought a few more batteries since I started it and have not been updating charge cycles.

I do have a self adhesive address label stuck on each battery and every time I do a charge, I add a tick on it to keep track of number of cycles. 

I'd need to count the  number of batteries I now have but there are quite a few, I know that much.

I've lost the plot with the state of charge on some of these which is mot good so I need to dedicate some ti e into catching up with that. I suspect I need to actually discharge quite a few down to storage voltage as they had been charged but not used.

Toto

I have all of my multicell  lipo batteries enumerated and monitored on one sheet of my master modelling Excel spreadsheet. That worksheet  records the battery capacity, dimensions, weight, any slight puffiness which may develop, the connector state, which is checked regularly, the individual cell voltage and IR, when these are periodically updated, the date that they were bought, the vendor and the models that pack is used in. I don't keep a record of how many charges a pack has had, though some of my clubmates do put a tick mark on the lipo with each flight to monitor that. It's a very useful tool to monitor the state of my packs and to decide if and when to retire them. I do that thorough review and measure maybe three times a year - the spreadsheet has conditional formatting set to highlight any potential problem areas. I've still got lipos that I use regularly which are ~10 years old.

Next to my lipo charge state board on the wall in the charging area I have a set of A3 colour coded sheets which show which pack fits each of my models and also shows which transmitter those models are assigned to. That's very helpful in deciding which half-a-dozen models I'll take to the field on any given day - I look at the lipo charge state board, weigh up how many of a particular pack is charged, which model those packs fit and pick the models dependent on the field and the weather forecast.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Maybe their batteries ultimately last longer/perform better.

That's probably the thinking but in my experience many batteries are destroyed rather than wear out, especially with beginners. 

Steve

On 16/01/2024 at 18:06, toto said:

Hi Jake,

I looked at the twin nova earlier today ( not that I am buying one 

Good luck with the nova and let us know how you get on with it ...... some piccies would be good as well.

Cheers

To5o

There you go. Little and Larger.

Both are fantastic fliers.

Good luck with yours.

Screenshot_20240118_143758_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like this will be my next assembly. 

I reckon I have enough room in the shed for one more decent size assembled model.

My others ... Beaver, Domino, Tasman and the latest Super Cub are all more or less good to go. The Beavers horizontal stabilisor is on its way ( exactly when due I don't know as its coming from the good old US of A ) I already have a replacement cowl.

A little bit of re- binding to do but they are ready otherwise.

I'm banking on getting more sticktime as we start to head towards the spring. No guarantee I know but you've got to have hope. If the stick time comes regularly, I am confident in reaching solo relatively quickly. Then the gloves are off.

Anyway ..... the otter may get its first dook :classic_biggrin:

C'mon the otter :classic_biggrin:

Toto

Once you are allowed to fly solo, there's going to be a huge temptation to chop and change between all those models, which I personally think will slow down your progress from a competent flyer, to a good one.

Think of it like learning to drive - the real skill acquisition comes AFTER you've passed your test. It'd be a shame to damage some of those nice models.

Learn to fly; fly the wings off one model until it's all second nature; introduce others gradually, becoming very familiar (they will all have differences and challenges for you) before moving on to the next..

Other opinions are available of course.

• Like 2

Hi Grumpy,

I know what you are saying makes sense, I suppose all I'm doing is trying to keep my enthusiasm up in times when there is a little bit of a drought in actually activity / progress.

Right now, even having some of these models to assemble gives me a " fix " whilst waiting for the weather to be a little kinder. I am fast approaching " max out " in terms of available space so have concentrated on what I think are the wisest models to be taking up that space in terms of suitability for use. This will be the last to be assembled for some time.

I've left the more complicated models for further down the line ..... talking the Edge 540, Space Walker, steen Skybolt, Miss Ultimate, Beechcraft bonanza, Beechcraft Barron, Valiant, , Cessna Skylane to name a few.

I'm looking at foamie highwings. Nothing too exotic and nothing intended for IC.

On attaining Solo, .... my Mystic Meg prediction will be that I will try these foamies out and find a favourite and then do exactly what you suggest ..,,,,, fly it to death...... probably literately :classic_biggrin: At least when the flying time becomes more consistent, it won't suffer delays etc due to possibly any one model taking a knock. 

The Beaver is a classic example having waited about six months for a replacement horizontal stabilisor. Soul destroying to have a model worth north of £400.00 sitting doing nothing. ..... shouldn't be necessary.

However, doing what I do ...... my mojo remains intact .......:classic_biggrin: and I haven't given up.

I absolutely take heed of what you say though. Much appreciated kind Sir .

Toto

• Like 1