CAA Membership Disappeared - Anyone Else Had The Same?

1 hour ago, Nigel Heather said:

There is something wrong with your emails.

I sent on Thursday 25th Jan at 18:50 - you say that has never been received

I sent on Thursday 25th Jan at 22:36 - you say that went into your SPAM folder

I sent the requested screenshot on 27th Jan at 09:26 - you say that you haven't received that

Sounds like you have got some systems issues, databases not being updated and emails going missing.

Since your email system is clearly broken, here is the screenshot

spacer.png

Normally I would see details of the registration such as the expiry date.  But the portal is not populated which makes it look like I am not registered with the CAA.  I know I am, it just isn't being displayed on the BMFA Portal.

Cheers,

Nigel 

I have received your email sent today at 18.01. Email is not 100% reliable unfortunately, but we do receive hundreds every day. There is no issue with the database, your memberships and CAA are showing correctly on that, there is however a small issue with the interface that displays them to you. The support guys at JustGo have been informed and I am sure it will soon be resolved.

On 29/01/2024 at 12:46, Andy Symons - BMFA said:

This issue has been resolved.

Are you sure?     I have just renewed mine.   When I started it said I was CAA registered,  I paid my £10. 33 to renew and then afterwards the CAA box was blank implying I am not CAA registered.   However the confirmation of payment email was sent.   So mine seems just the same as  Nigel Heather!    

Thanks Andy ,   

( note that Andy Gates is secretary of my club and is entitiled to look.  Hopefully nobody else can unless  authorised )

Maybe it will correct itself tommorrow, but the current years registration should still be there - it lasts for a few weeks yet.   A very unsound system - if something happened today and someone checked it shows I am not registered and shouldn't be flying.  It would show me to be breaking the law when I am not.   What's the point of having a system that is not correct at all times?   And we are paying for that!  

It's no use at all if it's not 100 percent correct at all times so should be scrapped.  I went in half an hour later and it was still incorrect.

The fact that it happened to me exactly like Nigel shows it's fundamentaly flawed just like the Horizon system.  It's uncannily like the Postmasters situation -the screen altered from correct to incorrect whilst I was logged in.   It's obviously not a one off human error.    Fortunately our situation is not nearly as bad as the Postmasters.

Edited by kc
  • Haha 2

What should the JustGo portal entry look like if the CAA Fliyer ID is valid because mine expires on Feb17th but it just shows as below.

There's a whole lot that just isn't clear about the portal.

CAA.jpg

Does this only show if renewing through the BMFA or should they pick up this information from the CAA if renewed directly with them?

Edited by Andy Stephenson
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, kc said:

...The fact that it happened to me exactly like Nigel shows it's fundamentaly flawed just like the Horizon system.  It's uncannily like the Postmasters situation -the screen altered from correct to incorrect whilst I was logged in.   It's obviously not a one off human error.    Fortunately our situation is not nearly as bad as the Postmasters.

Welcome to the BMFA JustGo portal, powered by Fujitsu... 😉

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, kc said:

A very unsound system - if something happened today and someone checked it shows I am not registered and shouldn't be flying.  It would show me to be breaking the law when I am not.

If you have had a valid notification from the CAA itself telling you of your Operator ID then you are not breaking the law… despite what the BMFA’s membership portal says (or doesn’t say). Your 2023 registration probably hasn’t expired yet either.

Unfortunately the JustGo portal has always been rather hit and miss, however for the BMFA to have had bespoke software specifically written for its membership requirements would probably have cost the total income of the society for a year. The JustGo system apparently ticked all of the GDPR (data protection) boxes in a cost-effective way when it was introduced. That’s how Andy Symons explained it to me in its early days. Until a year ago I was Treasurer and Membership Secretary of one of the clubs that I’m a member of.

This is how my CAA registration is (correctly in my case) shown on the portal this morning:

22841719-CFF3-47A8-A8AD-8C412CBB5772.thumb.png.34116c81a2565948b056f28365a7cfd2.png

It’s not an ideal system but it’s a compromise which is works reasonably well most of the time.

Brian.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Andy Stephenson said:

What should the JustGo portal entry look like if the CAA Fliyer ID is valid because mine expires on Feb17th but it just shows as below.

CAA.jpg

Does this only show if renewing through the BMFA or should they pick up this information from the CAA if renewed directly with them?

Will only show if you renewed through the BMFA.

16 hours ago, kc said:

Are you sure?     I have just renewed mine.   When I started it said I was CAA registered,  I paid my £10. 33 to renew and then afterwards the CAA box was blank implying I am not CAA registered.   However the confirmation of payment email was sent.   So mine seems just the same as  Nigel Heather!    

Haven't had reports of it not being resolved until seeing this. If you can drop me an email to [email protected] with details of who you are and a screenshot of what you see after you click on 'Membership' from the top menu I will be able to investigate.

top menu.JPG

22 minutes ago, Dickw said:

The current CAA Operator ID and it's expiry date is shown  on the "Member Details" page rather than on the "Membership" page.

At least it is on mine. Do others not see it on there?

Dick

Member details tab.jpg

CAA registration.jpg

Ditto for me.  I've always paid through the BMFA.

Why people should expect to see information on the BMFA Membership site when they pay the CAA beats me.  Just check with the CAA if you pay through them.  Simples.

4 hours ago, Peter Jenkins said:

Ditto for me.  I've always paid through the BMFA.

Why people should expect to see information on the BMFA Membership site when they pay the CAA beats me.  Just check with the CAA if you pay through them.  Simples.

You don't even need to check the CAA site - if you paid direct you will have a confirmation in your email of the payment and the valid dates, then you will get reminders direct from them to renew. Far simpler IMO than renewing via BMFA (and also means can take full responsibility at renewal time), but I do understand why the BMFA wanted to offer this, even if it makes the Sec's job  a little trickier. Each to their own.

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1

I renewed via the BMFA and subsequently received an email from the CAA confirming renewal and valid dates.

One on-line transaction via the BMFA instead of also having to also make another transaction with the CAA.

Dick

• Like 2

On 06/02/2024 at 00:40, Andy Stephenson said:

CAA.jpg

This is what mine looked like to.  Andy got the BMFA admins to correct it.  I assume that there was a glitch when I renewed and the database didn’t get correctly updated - but the admins were able to rectify it quickly.

11 hours ago, Arthur Harris said:

My BMFA is up to date, but as for CAA- who knows? Not me,...............

I do suggest you make an effort to find out if you plan on flying as a current registration is a legal requirement 😀

See John Lee's answer for how to check.

Dick

• Like 2

Definitely recommend checking on the CAA site if you are uncertain whether you are properly registered or not. Mine is showing properly on both BMFA and CAA sites and, whilst I was there, even though I don't actually need one under Article 16, I thought I'd take a look at what the CAA test for a Flyer ID was like. 40 questions, which you can take as many times as you like. Not a single question about model aeroplanes, ever single question concerned drones and their operation. The Flyer ID is valid for 5 years after passing that online  test.

On 05/02/2024 at 18:12, kc said:

Can you check now please. Should be there.