Slope soaring, an ideal entry into learning to fly RC model aircraft?

Rich Griff

Good Afternoon, All.

I am looking in to learning sloe soaring and I am very interested in Andy Conway's BAe Hawk as a starter! I am eager to read build posts if anyone can point me in the right direction. 

Hi Andy,

Post a hello in the hello section so others can comment.

Amazon has that book that's been mentioned but if you have a proper computer, down load it from the link mentioned and either print it off or read from your large computer screen.

See you in the hello section this evening ?

Don't worry, you will soon get the hang of this place.

Ps, have you read this thread from the begining ?

Edited by Rich Griff

21 hours ago, MattyB said:

Yep, them thistles would easily take out a lightly built up wing at the height of summer! The stuff of nightmares they were...

Do you remember Greg Dakin and his Dad who used to fly there a lot, and Ron Broughton who used to fly a wide range of home brews and a very tricked up SAS Apache? The most memorable model we had was my Dad's PJ Models Red Arrows Hawk PSS, but it only flew there a few times - it's Clark Y wing wasn't really efficient enough unless it was a booming day.

I don't remember names that well but do recall seeing the SAS Apache on an odd occasion. We were often the only ones up flying though!

Funnily enough, I also have a copy of Dave Hughes' book. Not the well thumbed original one that was my Dad's as he chucked a lot of stuff out when he gave up flying.

12 hours ago, Nigel Sharp said:

Baildon west yorks. Lots of happy hours slope flying. Alas too near to L&B Airport and restricted zone.

Baildon is well out of LBA's NFZ. Check Altitude Angel. Where did you get the impression you couldn't fly there from? 

• David Ashby - Moderator changed the title to Slope soaring, an ideal entry into learning to fly RC model aircraft?
13 hours ago, PDB said:

Yeah, those don't have the famous Duralene fuselage (from Bob Martin models in the states) the original did, though. The story of those is quite interesting...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1853243-What-ever-happened-to-Dura-lene-Rumors-and-Facts

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Petrogli said:

I don't remember names that well but do recall seeing the SAS Apache on an odd occasion. We were often the only ones up flying though!

Funnily enough, I also have a copy of Dave Hughes' book. Not the well thumbed original one that was my Dad's as he chucked a lot of stuff out when he gave up flying.

Yeah,  I'm pretty sure my Dad still has a copy on his bookshelf too, though haven;t seen it for a few decades.

4 hours ago, MattyB said:

Yeah, those don't have the famous Duralene fuselage (from Bob Martin models in the states) the original did, though.

'A Plane Olde Bargain' has a duralene Apache for sale for just £40, plus a few other old SAS models on his eBay store. Link

Yup - it's just a pity that, as a business dealing in second hand model good, they have yet to come up with a viable courier service that would allow them to sell across the country, rather than being collection only. They get some nice airframes in sometimes.

• Like 3

On Leccy, I tried helping out my market trader brother in law, buying 10 such boxes, that would suit us, 4 foot by 18 inch square, double walled card.

We had to buy 10, or 100 boxes. 10 cost us £180. Shipping by courier one box containing goods was £15. We had to ask customers £33 postage. It was a nightmare.

A sport plane with separate wing halves would probably fit a 4 foot box, but adding £33 carriage can't go down well.

I appreciate that it can add expense, but it can be done and, particularly in an auction, provided the costs are fully laid out, it must increase the potential pool of buyers to be able to offer airframes for sale with shipping. I've had several very good experneinces of having airframes shipped, which have been very well packed by private sellers and arrived safely, for which I was more than happy to pay a reasonable price for postage and packing. 

• Like 3