Sign of the times - funnies * Remember this is a family friendly forum and inappropriate postings will be removed without warning.

ken anderson.

3 hours ago, Brian Cooper said:

1704612822009.jpeg.bcde8798126ed402b4f977f9d6612a77.jpeg

I follow a YouTuber (Sciman Dan) occasionally who takes the proverbial out of the flat earthers every Friday.  They are (literally) unbelievably thick but there seems to be quite a number of them - each has a different theory of the Earth's (and space in general) 'reality'.  Conspiracy theorists on steroids!

10 hours ago, Geoff S said:

I follow a YouTuber (Sciman Dan) occasionally who takes the proverbial out of the flat earthers every Friday.  They are (literally) unbelievably thick but there seems to be quite a number of them - each has a different theory of the Earth's (and space in general) 'reality'.  Conspiracy theorists on steroids!

I've just finished reading "Idiots, Follies & Misadventures" by Mikey Robins, pub Simon& Schusters, 2023, ISBN 9781761107115.

He has a chapter on Flat Earthers.

Page 328 - Flat Out Stupid

Not so much for a good laugh (OK, that as well) but as a good shake of the head at such stupidity of people at times.

23 hours ago, Peter Miller said:

THis has been the worst year ever for the garbage on TV.  They even showed a lot of films from the 1930s

Oh I don’t know, it’s only the 9th Jan so I haven’t quite made up my mind yet.

As someone who worked in broadcast TV for over 40 years, I can reveal that 1) At the BBC, football has priority over everything, and 2) at ITV football has priority over everything but adverts!

Speaking personally, if it has the words "celebrity" or "reality" in the title or description, its a total non-starter.

Definition of a celebrity: Someone famous for being famous.

As for reality TV, I watch TV to escape from reality, not to be reminded of it!

No wonder viewing figures have slumped so much that even advertisers are fleeing to other markets....

<Gets off soap-box!>

--

Pete

Edited by Peter Christy
typo
  • Like 10

32 minutes ago, Peter Christy said:

As someone who worked in broadcast TV for over 40 years, I can reveal that 1) At the BBC, football has priority over everything, and 2) at ITV football has priority over everything but adverts!

Speaking personally, if it has the words "celebrity" or "reality" in the title or description, its a total non-starter.

No wonder viewing figures have slumped so much that even advertisers are fleeing to other markets....

<Gets off soap-box!>

--

Pete

We didn't have a TV for over 50 years (surprising since I was brought up living at the family TV business and my first job was repairing them). We have a small portable in our caravan now but it's used mostly as a radio.  I wouldn't have done many of the things I have done had we had a TV because it's so addictive.  We have a TV licence now because I watch Eurosport for the cycling and other catch-up on my PC.  I don't begrudge it. The recent ITVX production of 'Mr Bates v the Post Office' was/is excellent and my wife and I binge-watched all episodes having heard a similar report a couple of years ago on R4.  It has, at least, stirred some action hopefully to exonerate those who suffered greatly.  I hope Fujitsu get hammered, too. TV at its best.

As for films from the 1930/40s that Peter complains about - some of them are classics and worth watching. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peter Christy said:

<Gets off soap-box!>

--

Pete

My video recorder packed up over Christmas.  I don't tink that I am going to bother to get it fixed

Dear Aero modeller fiend,

I send you this private mail so please do NOT circulate as I wish to close down any further miss truths on this forum.  Having worked for the Post Office Software Team for the last 30 years there is absolutely NO truth in the fact that I have now taken up a new role in an off shore software  hosting service providing a service to multiple forums including this one.

The issue was that I had to hurriedly leave the UK last week with only the clothes on my back as a TV company was going to release miss information on some software I wrote for the Post Office. How was I to know £1k out equated to £1 in in the line of code I wrote for the summary invoice for each of our branches.

Still I landed on my feet here on an isolated island having found a room in a run down mansion owned I understand by a middle aged women whose boyfriend died unexpectantly and has she has now fallen on hard times. So she rents out most of the rooms mainly to aspiring models who seem to spend most of their day lounging around  the pool.

On the recommendation of a large portly gentlemen (who I am sure I recognise from a past political life) recommended the complementary spa service.  This I tried yesterday and I must say the young lady provided a very good service and my back is feeling much better now along with me finding the alexia of eternal youth. The young lady was quite romantic saying she very much liked older men. Unfortunately I may have gone a bit over board with the promise of meeting UK royal household members and supplying large diamonds.

Unfortunately I must cut short this mail as my boss in the software hosting service has had several complaints about a patch I wrote the other day for this forum which had a hidden link in a Privacy Pop Up which allowed the UK Government to count those people complaining about some regulations on the control of lower airspace in the UK.  Can you believe anyone would be so stupid to click on links without first checking!

So as I say please erase this message once you have read it as I don't want any further come backs in 20 years time when this issue of Pop Ups is raised in the press or parliament.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

How do you cover the screen, tape, cardboard or just put the tv in a box ?.

The screen tells us about the radio broadcast we're listening to. We listen to R3 a lot, so it's good to know the orchestra/soloist/conductor etc.  😜 

• Haha 1