Ideas for articles in RCM&E

Advert

I've seen countless articles for ,ARTF's, kit reviews, engines, radio, how too's,scale matters,jet's, covering help, beginners, aerobatics, Gliding, flight sim's, electric set up's, batteries, chargers etc etc etc etc

Only ever once have I seen a bit on model autogyro's (proper ones), it was a small piece on a gents models (can't remember his name). Then you have to go back to the 80's to the Micro Mold Wallis articles and Thames Valley Model 'Hobbit'. There are of course the 'Twirls' , Ketsrel types but strictly speaking not true autogyro's.

I have had first hand experience and have seen their popularity rise over the last 5 years from 4 models at our first fly- in to 70 models at our last.

No matter where I take my models there is always interest and I am always happy to answer the many questions. You'd be surprised just how many people say 'I have never seen one of those fly' or 'that is something I would like to try' , 'doesn't it handle the wind well'.

So for me that is what I would like to see, a bit on autogyro theory and perhaps some history into the models from years gone by (the UK was the leading influence back in the 80's)but I think I may just be on my own with this oneembarrassed

Rich

Posted by David Ashby - RCME on 29/08/2012 13:34:56:
Posted by chris edwards 3 on 14/07/2012 19:10:28:

hi all

i personly think that there sould be a article about the mysterious world of electric flight.

i say this because i am having to replace the motor and ESC on my faithful wot 4 foam-e and there are so many different think you can buy, outrunners, inrunners, ubec ESC the list could go on forever angry

so for this reson alone i would like to see more about electric flight.

regards chris

Chris, we've printed a whole plethora of articles (many by Tim Mackey) on motors, ESCs, batteries, chargers etc. over the last few years. Does anyone still want to see more electric flight guidance?

David,
I think the general articles have been fine. But if the question is “I have an x inch winspan model that weighs y ounces and I would like it to fly like a scale aerobat, exactly what motor / prop/ battery combination should I use?” Then I wonder what percentage of the RCM&E readership would know exactly what to do?
I think this is the general "under the hood" question that Chris is asking & hopes that RCM&E can deliver angel 2

Kind regards
Mark

Are we doing enough to create the next generation of enthusiastic aero modellers?
They are the happy, little chaps that try to “wing walk” on your latest model?
An American once embarrassed me by asking “Do you carry some chuck gliders” to give to the kids who crowd around?

Maybe we need a quarterly article (competition?) for a “junior wing walkers” plan.
i.e. a fun chuck glider, simple rubber model that we can use to bring the next generation along?
Happy future flying smiley
Mark

Hi Iv just rolled out of the cafe it was put to me to try this tread, we all know it takes a long time to do a proper kit review without spreading it over a couple of print months, How about a round up of all the small kit makers, we all know Flair, Galaxy, etc, but how about cloud, cambrian,bowmans,skyways, the latter I am building a Hawk tiger moth and just recieved the Hawk 70 there real blast from the past.

I cannot tell you how helpfull people like Avicraft and Mason Models have been in bringing me back into balsa bashing and im sure more people would try a kit and the benifit to the small cottage kit makers.

Dennis

It is not an idea for an article, rather an idea, relative to CAD.

I have found that the CAD drawing is not an issue, it is getting it printed out. My local reproduction shop, plots the drawing first, then runs prints of the plot. This cost a lot of money about £25..

Perhaps Myhobbystore, could print out a drawing to the size required, say *2 or 60" span or 1/6 scale. With a big disclaimer, wood size to be determined by the modeller.

Or does Myhobbystore, also have to produce a plot first?

How about a "how to" for foam cutting using hotwires, including making a wire bow, Variable PSU's and how to select the correct NiChrome Wire!

Lots of foam models out there so could be useful!

I'm doing it the old fashioned way - try it and see. If it fails. change it and try again!!!

It would be usefull to have some form of "educated guide"!!!!

Dave

In the Datafile at the end of each model review I would like to see a 'Servos Used' section.

Sometimes the reviewer mentions what was used in the text, but I would like to see a specific section for this information.

Also, I like close-ups shots of the servo/RX/battery installation. Again, this happens sometimes but not always. We know what the model looks like on the outside from the box lid, but there are many secrets/hints to be revealed by interior shots.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by David Ashby - RCME on 29/08/2012 13:34:56:
Posted by chris edwards 3 on 14/07/2012 19:10:28:

hi all

i personly think that there sould be a article about the mysterious world of electric flight.....

Chris, we've printed a whole plethora of articles (many by Tim Mackey) on motors, ESCs, batteries, chargers etc. over the last few years. Does anyone still want to see more electric flight guidance?

Yes, there's lots of stuff about electrric flight but there's at least a couple of areas where I think you could go a lot deeper. If you look at the later postings on Erfolg's query about ESCs then you see that there's a lot of confusion about how brushless ESCs and motors actually work.

Similarly, there are frequent questions obut the technical details of how LiPos behave and how to manage them. And lots of well-meaning but completely incorrect advice too!

On LiPos I look to this Sony manual Sony make them, so they should know. It's an example of the level of authority and expertise I would personally look for. Maybe a bit detailed for some.

I think it would be excellent if you could include articles written at a similar or slightly less technical level, covering (separately) brushless ESCs, brushless motors and LiPos. Maybe some other topics of newish technology as well: e.g. 2.4 GHz stuff.

What I have in mind is "How it works", not product details and comparisons. And really authoritative stuff, along the lines of the engineering detail given by Wizard of Oz on i/c motors (I know he's not so strong on the physics, but ...) and the aerodynamics stuff from .Prof. Burton.

I am not thinking these could be written by any of your regular columnists; they have wide general knowledge but not, I think, the in-depth knowledge required: I would hope you could get this from manufacturers: e.g people who actually design ESCs.

I believe that a trawl through the forum shows both the initerest in more in-depth knowledge in these areas, and also the need tfor it.

Quite often in a review the "range check" is mentioned. I could be wrong but I can't remember, in the recent past of reading how this is done? If not it may be benifical to new flyers and a few older ones as well? I have watched a few folks performing what | presume they think is a range check and then some just don't bother. Just a suggestion?

One thing I would like to see is when reviewing trad kits or plan builds ie the free plans, is a tally of material costs, so that you can A- decide whether a trad build is within budget to go ahead with and B - you can decide if its beneficial to buy all the raw material and produce every component or invest in a cnc/laser pack, or even if its not worth doing at all and buying a similar artf kit.

Also, it might be an idea occasionally to throw a free plan kit to an indipendent who has no idea of the model and see how it gets on in the real world of builders, what I mean is its all well and good the Peter Millers (i'm not singling you out for any other reason othere than I am building one of you kits as we speak) and other designers explaining how they put it together, infact i am all for that, but they designed it, they know what they want from it, basically they know it inside out before it ever gets a public viewing, but any other buider doesn't, so would be interesting to see if they do go together as the designer intended.

I know what subject that should feature, is advice and thoughts on building and installing stuff on large models. Problem is as club models are bigger, on average, there is not coverage on large models over 26cc size, which even I, myself need to research before buying. Also engine installations and mechanical advice on such models.

On the subject of larger models, I'd also love to see a feature in RCM&E on what and how those clever "big boys" such as the guys flying huge "models" at Cosford, equip their models. Is the radio gear standard stuff or does each servo cost the same as a family car?!! Some of those models are so big I could fly in one! Where do the engines come from? Not a regular model shop..... Are they "home made"? etc etc. All very clever stuff and I'm sure it would make for fascinating reading.

The current Special is great. I've always had trouble safely launching my Stryker - now I shall try tying a big rubber band to the front!!

• 2 months later...

dont forget the foodmixer's david........i wouldn't mind seeing an article or three about the autogyro's...... and how to have a go with them......maybe even push the boat out a put a plan in the mag.......i'm in the process of building Tom Wright's Crane Fly ........ and i think that it ticks a lot of the box's for cost and straight forward build etc...as regards the flying---i'll leave that aspect to TW until mine leaves terra firma.......but going off the vid's - it look's a goodin.....

ken anderson ... ne..1 ...foodmixer dept.....