CDScaleDesigns Sopwith Pup

Thanks Terry!

Yeah, I have been thinking about the "little fingers" - I'm taking a sign that says "Please do not touch" and an axe!

Anyway, I have been taught how to switch off the video setting on the camera and even how to switch the camera to Hi-Res (wow!) So I was able to take some decent photos in the garden. Even though I did have to down size them by 50% to get them on here!

So, in all her splendour, her she is...

Advert

BB,

I have spent many many minutes just looking and day dreaming when
any of my builds are in this state, reluctant to start the covering stage.
 I suppose hundreds of builders out there do the same.
I think it's a mixture of personal satisfaction and pride which you
can not share with anyone once covered.

NIce work

Terry

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Guys,

thanks for the kind comments

I exhibited the Pup at the Model Show - it went down well with the show visitors and attracted many questions and comments. I also managed to keep the more enquirying "little fingers" at bay! So all was well.

I've taken a couple of weeks away from the build whilst doing "the day job", fitting in lots of flying in the nice weather and assembling the BritFlight HTWO-0 (more of that in another thread soon).

Cling film? Mmmm interesting idea - I'm tempted but I think the scale purists might have a comment or two! Not to mention the slight "in flight" orientation problems it might give rise to, having a completely see-through aeroplane!

Yeap, the plan is antique Solartex. But first I have to fit the radio gear. No trival job because of all closed loop systems etc. I'll be starting that later this week.

BEB

• 2 weeks later...
OK, back to work!

Time to start installing the radio gear. We'll start with the aileron servos. These are mounted inside the wings in the now conventional manner. The servos used for the ailerons are HiTech HS82MG, these are a well known metal geared miniature jobbies. The picture below shows the servos fixed to the mounting plates...

While this is a side on view, the 1.5mm ply plate at the rear of the mount is a spacer which ensures that the mount will be flush with the wing undersurface...

The wings themselves are fitted with mounting points and a rear mounting shelf to accommodate the servo plate. A nice design touch is the use of a strip of 3x3mm spruce at the lip. This provides a hard locating point that wont dent as balsa would...

So, here are the plates in place in both the lower wings - a nice snug, flush, fit...

Once the wing is covered these will of course only show as a small slot with the servo arm protruding - very smart!

BEB

BEB
An beautiful piece of carpentry.

Just as an aside the first Linke-Hoffman was covered in clear cellulose film to try to make it less visible. This is the second one which used the standard German lozenge fabric.
The clear film did not work as its shiny surface reflected any sunlight like a mirror.

• 10 months later...
  • 12 years later...

My only reason for bumping this blog from BEB is that following his passing I acquired the model and has sat boxed in the workshop awaiting an opportunity to complete. Now in fairness I was not even aware of this blog and only came across it whilst seeking some information about the model on line. It seems that some bits have gone astray but nothing too serious all the major components are still there and included the RCV four stroke motor that Dave had selected. Now as a friend, colleague and fellow club member I will endeavor to get the model completed and flown in the near future to complete the blog in tribute.

Linds

Edited by Lindsay Todd
  • Like 6

Hi Jon, BEB went for the RCV 58CD, not an engine i am particularly familiar with but from memory tended to have capability to throw a larger than average prop and good torque curve through lower rpm range. All part of the rotary valve arrangement. Any info always useful.

Linds

On 13/04/2024 at 20:41, Lindsay Todd said:

I will endeavor to get the model completed and flown in the near future to complete the blog in tribute.

Linds

In the near future, we are talking 12 years later here.  How much longer ?

I do miss BEB, My only regret is not realizing that he was at a fly-in that I attended had I known I would of gone over to him and had a chat. 😩

Steve

• Like 2

Sadly missed - I never met him but had quite a few conversations by PM as well as interacting with him on various forum threads and felt like I knew him. 

Lindsay, I think you’re confusing the 58CD with the “walnut whip” RCV 60 - 120 SP engines, which drove their propellers from the rotating cylinder at half engine speed.  The 58 and 91 versions had a conventional layout (although with a horizontally split crankcase) driving the propeller from the crankshaft but the cylinder rotated internally to provide the sleeve valves. 

• Like 1

As Martin said, the 58 and other CD designs spin standard size props. The engine will develop power roughly equivalent to a conventional 52 four stroke, and  run hotter and provide some useful nose weight. Baffled correctly it will run fine and carry out it's business

• Like 2