A very bad day at the office

Had possibly the worst day at the strip for a long long time yesterday.

1) Transferred GWS Tiggy Moth to DX6i as my DX7 needed memory freeing up - bound it - wiggled sticks, all seemed fine.
Take off, rolled into deck - obliterated.
Cause? Reversed ailerons - operator error. RIP

2) Flew the F18 Hornet, super flight, after approx 3 minutes motor shut down, and did not restart, despite "re-arming" with throttle stick - hit trees and stubble in adjacent field - Lots of debris.
Cause? 4 cell Lipo pack dead back home - open circuit cell. Probably RIP

3)The big PC9, set up for maiden flight, lovely take off, retracts up, 5 minute flight ( slightly pitchy but perfectly controllable ). Looked superb in the air, plenty of power @2.2 kw, all in all excellent. Good landing and taxi back to box. Really really pleased. Repeated with fresh battery, all fine, half way up a large loop - motor cut dead. Called deadstick, not particularly worried ( had height to simply stall turn and recover to land back in the field ) but then realised that all sticks were also dead. She piled in hard and was obliterated.
Cause? Full post mortem to be yet completed, but early signs suggest failure of the 5A UBEC. RIP.

Wonderful hobby this sometimes.
I'm off to the slope now - back in the saddle and all that.
Pictures later.

Advert

bad crack-tim-if only we had a crystal ball or two...what allway's astounds me is the way we all go back to the drawing board and come back..ready for more.....if we are honest we've all had day's like you had yesterday........have a good time at the slope..and stop in the saddle today if poss...

ken anderson ne..1.

That is rubbish Tim I feel for you, But as you know it happens to the best of us.
Have fun lobbing things off a big hill

Really feel for you Tim. I lost two in a week last year and that was bad enough. One high up in a tree due to cheap glitchy 35MHz RX. The other - no-one else to blame - inadvertently flew into the sun on a steep low banking turn and never saw the crash - just heard it! Dented my confidence for quite a while afterwards too.

These things go in runs. You should be OK now for a while.

Last one that I lost was due to disorientation while trying to adjust trims on a misty day. My own stupid fault.

It crashed 700 yards away across a very muddy clay field, down in a valley. The engine was going for a long time after it vanished from sight.

Oooh 'eck TIm... That sounds like a day to forget.

Reminds me of someone who used to fly with us a few years ago. As I arrived one Sunday he was leaving and looked even more disgruntled than normal. He had a bit of a reputation for being a bit "unlucky" (his version) or slapdash (our version) and generally crashed rather more than the average flyer... But on this particular weekend he'd crashed 2 or 3 fixed-wing models and a couple of helis, writing off around £1k worth of gear.

He now flies full-size. It probably works out cheaper for him!

I think we've all been there and can feel for you.
Must admit I've never had a 3 in 1 day though.
Usually don't have more than 2 in the car. That must be the advantage(?) of having one big model on board! Usually only load more when the caravan is attached and I'm off for a weekend at a fly-in.
The flight I hate most is the one immediately after a crash - you've checked everything (probably 3 times over) but there is always that nagging feeling.
Get the next flight in!
Bob

It is very brave of you to make known your trials and tribulations (what ever the phrase actually means).

It is reassuring to know that others have troubles.

I have had a number of damaged models, sometimes I am surprised how stupid I can be.

I recently damaged one model recently, possibly because I thought the friction it into polystyrene was sufficient, after i crashed/damaged the model I thought perhaps I should have hot glued or screwed the elevator and rudder servo, as on inspection they were no longer in place putting back in place seemed fine, that is until a few wiggles of the stick wher upon they had moved again. But I am not sure.

One damaged model I can be pretty sure of, was where I had a separate Nicad battery for the Rx and Lipo for the motor. I would give the Nicad a couple of hours charge before use. Except on week end where I had not flown the model after charging from the previous week end. It did not need charging did it. After crashing, one of those pocket battery checkers some carry showed a flat battery.

It is good to know that others have their problems, a bit of Schadenfreude perhaps.

Comiserations Tim,
Been there too often to recall. In fact I just totalled my Twister before reading the thread - all my own fault. I said to my better half that the sunshine was beautiful and I should go fly something but then pointed out that the bright sun might be an issue.
I then went and launched, had to be semi into sun to get into wind, lost it in the glare and piled it into a wall.
Hmmmmmm.
Oh well, look on the bright side...there's now room to buy / build something else.
T

Wow, that is bad news indeed Timbo.

Did you ever think that you might not be doing the right thing, when you decided to maiden the PC9 on the third flight of the day, after what had already happened??????

I really hope the soaring is going well and giving you something to consolidate yourself with.
Great that you are honest and shared this with us though.

Chin up.

Wow

I am liking these confessions?

I thought I was the only one who could find the position of the sun, a nuisance relative to my prefered flight pattern. It was partly the sun which I think put the model in a position that I should have planned to avoid. Or was it loose elevator servos?

I sometimes think this where some of the avionics coming on the market may contribute a bit more understanding.

My thoughts are with you Tim. Such a beautiful day today as well, weatherwise, at least here in Leics. There is a saying "If in doubt, don't". But I ignored the saying today and my electric Funcub, survived.
The situation was that after one flight and preparing for the second the arming tune was absent. The moving parts moved but the motor was inactive. I tried, after being advised by my fellow fliers. by disconnecting and reconnecting the motor wires from the ESC. Nothing happened it made no difference. Until I did the unthinkable and switched off the transmitter, DX6i, before I disconnected the battery. When I switch it back on again, the melodious tune started. Why this happened I don't know but I flew the model. And on this occasion I was lucky !! I realised I've just high-jacked your posting Tim, Sorry but I had to get this off my chest !!! Eric.

Cheers for the commiserations guys - after 30+ years of this game, I know only too well that every single time we fly, we are at risk of any many things that can, and sometimes do, go horribly wrong. As to thinking twice before flying the PC9 after the previous incidents - well I am completely non superstitious. of course, had I my self been feeling less than 100%, the weather had not been perfect, etc etc, then I wouldn't have flown. However conditions were great, and I could see no logical reason not to fly - as backed up I guess by the perfect first flight. These things happen, and as my original instructor told me many years ago - somedays will be good, somedays will be bad, crashing is part of the hobby, and after all...its only a bit of wood ( foamies didnt exist then )
kev ( Iawnski ) I have been at the big rock all day, just got in 5 minutes ago after a superb session, perfect conditions up there, all 4 models taken flew exceptionally well, and we finished a great days flying with some fun combat. All models came home in the exact same state they were taken . You missed a cracking day.
Before JB posts his pictures...heres mine.
Tiggy

And here they all are this morning....

Ooo Ouch!

they say trouble comes in threes - in your case Tim its certianly true!

Well, maybe that's "your share" as it were for a while. But it is part and parcel of what we do. As a friend of mine once remarked "If you don't want to break them, then go back to making Airfix models". Its true - but it would be nice if its wasn't so painful sometimes.

They're all a loss of course. But the PC9 particularly so. If a model has many flights under its wings its sad when it goes - but well you had a good time and all that. But when a new one goes in, when all the memories of the trials of building it are still fresh and its only had enough time to briefly show you its potential - that's doubly painful.

Still, as you say, back in that saddle. I hope the rest of the season goes much better for you Tim

BEB