Ebay sellers...

In contrast to that package which shouldn't have cost much more than £150 to assemble (HK were knocking the model out for 40 something squids a year or so ago and very good it was too for the money) the Tucano would have easily cost the asking price - and considerably more, I suspect.

My limited experience of selling on Ebay has suggested that setting a low starting price encourages buyers and can result in a bidding war if you're lucky!

Advert

Strange that he's provided detailed photographic evidence of the prop, servo(s) and engine but not a mention of what the model is.

And if he's glued the servos in, I wonder what others horrors are lurking beneath the surface of the half-built' model? Tail glued in using midge-spit? And without removing the covering?

Posted by Stevo on 22/06/2015 17:59:12:

So how does this work?
I bought a servo from a private seller... unwrapped it, put it in the servo tester and it didn't move but got red hot! Contacted the seller who said it was working when he packaged it. He had 100% feedback. Asked for a return address, he never answered any more emails.

Went through ebay dispute, and they were really helpful. Money credited back to me after they intervened and sent me a postage label to get it back to him.

Do they then claw that back from the seller?

Yes they do.

I think that I just got stung. I bought a S/H Sepktrum Rx wnd when it arrived I found that one aerial on the satellite Rx was half the length of the the other.

The photo in the listing was carefully cropped so that this did not show.

I have sent a message to the seller. If that does not work we will startt the dispute proceedure.

I found the eBay claims process quite painless really as long as you play by the book.

I bought a servo from a seller with 100% FB, it arrived but clearly burnt out. Seller would not take it back and then stopped answering my messages. I opened a claim, and despite the Microsoft/Disney approach to customer services:-

"Hello, my name is Aarron, I am here to look at your case and resolve it to a satisfactory outcome...Have a nice day"

They sent me a pre-paid postage label to send it back and I got a full refund!

The dispute system does not always work.

I purchased a cat igloo, the size required was large.

A small version was actually sent, and it came from China, whereas the advert suggested the UK.

I logged a dispute and asked for a return label. The seller replied that the item must be returned at my cost. I disputed this. EBay replied that a return label must be supplied.

No label was ever made available.

I was refused a refund as I had not returned the item. I stated why to EBay.

Eventually the complaint was closed out as I had not returned the items. The cost was low, but annoying.

My brother was on the other end of an ebay dispute (the purchaser was not happy with the condition of a 2nd hand item) and to me it sounded almost too easy to get your money back.

I would be interested of 1st hand accounts as to whether an honest seller can get a bit bashed up by e-bay wanting to keep buyers happy.

Hi Erflog

Terms like small or large are very subjective. Were there dimensions stated on the item advert?

I lurk on Chinese sites like banggood and have seen plenty of kit/computer/camera bags, where the photographs do not represent the stated the dimensions. Most are way smaller than the photo appears.

Interested.

Posted by Kevin Wilson on 01/07/2015 10:00:12:

I would be interested of 1st hand accounts as to whether an honest seller can get a bit bashed up by e-bay wanting to keep buyers happy.

ebay will always take the side of the buyer - sellers on ebay are 2-a-penny.

I recently sold something that I knew was working when I shipped it. It was well packaged and couldn't have been damaged in transit. However the buyer contacted me to say part of it wasn't working and he wanted a 50% refund. After numerous emails back and forth, I suspected he was trying to pull a fast one and wanted to claw back some of the money he had paid. I refused a refund and he opened a dispute with ebay. This put a block on my funds in paypal. Their solution was for him to ship the item back (at his cost) and he was automatically refunded his full amount (including original P&P) from my account so ultimately I lost the cost of shipping - not a huge amount but still a few quid.

When the item arrived back, guess what? It worked perfectly. However because the dispute was closed by the buyer there was no way that I could complain to ebay. All subsequent emails to ebay were ignored.

I'm becoming less inclined to use ebay - costs for ebay and paypal seem to be getting more excessive and you end up only getting something like 80% of your final selling price. frown

Edited By Dominic on 01/07/2015 10:20:12

Posted by Erfolg on 01/07/2015 09:58:45:

The dispute system does not always work.

I purchased a cat igloo, the size required was large.

A small version was actually sent, and it came from China, whereas the advert suggested the UK.

I logged a dispute and asked for a return label. The seller replied that the item must be returned at my cost. I disputed this. EBay replied that a return label must be supplied.

No label was ever made available.

I was refused a refund as I had not returned the item. I stated why to EBay.

Eventually the complaint was closed out as I had not returned the items. The cost was low, but annoying.

I think your confusing Ebay with Amazon again, Erf. wink 2

Kevin

The size was also descibed with a set of dimensions.

cat1.jpg

This is a picture used in support of the dispute, the difference in size is evident.

I am pleased that most people are successful in resolving their disputes successfully from their perspective.

For me I responded as per the procedure, although when faced with silence from the seller, EBay then seemed to just let things lie.

Ah, you could be right Pat, redirect grumble to Amazon, I no longer remember clearly.

Edited By Erfolg on 01/07/2015 11:34:13

If there were dimensions stated and your item did not meet those dimensions it seems pretty incontrovertible.

I wonder if e-bay have as much luck as the rest of us getting money OUT of China frown

My brother was/is a small fish with few transactions AND the money was in PayPal (an e-bay company), so easy pickings.

.......the buyer contacted me to say part of it wasn't working and he wanted a 50% refund. ..... I suspected he was trying to pull a fast one .....

Similar situation to my brother Dominic. Which prompted my question.

It probably wasn't just my potentially skewed perception then.

I sent the seller a message. He said that he would refund my money even though he had sad no returns He also claimed that all his satellite RX were the same.

I have been "disbelieving" about his carefully cropped photo too.

I contacted Horizon and of course that was not true. However Horizon said send it in and they would repair and check it. That way I will have a pretty cheap Rx which I know is OK.

Edited By Peter Miller on 01/07/2015 12:05:31

Posted by Kevin Wilson on 01/07/2015 11:51:16:

.......the buyer contacted me to say part of it wasn't working and he wanted a 50% refund. ..... I suspected he was trying to pull a fast one .....

Similar situation to my brother Dominic. Which prompted my question.

It probably wasn't just my potentially skewed perception then.

I bought a couple of engines a while ago, they were not like the descriptions. I got an instant partical refund, Then I found that inside one was worse that=n I had thought. Still the deal ws done.

I did alittle polishing of a scored bore where the piston had picked up quite badly.

Then I sold them to a friend for peanuts (Yes,he knew exactl what the story was)

He sayds that the both run like dreams.angry

I recently sold some model railway equipment on ebay. One of the buyers got in touch to say I had miss described the stuff I had sold him. I had not miss described but said OK, if it's not what you thought you were buying then send it back and I will refund. The stuff he sent back was not what I had sent him!. When I pointed this out it turned nasty and he accused me of all sorts of things. About an hour later he replied again with a full apology saying he had mixed up the packages at his end. All's well that ends well. No hard feelings.

But, if he had not realised his mistake and taken it up with ebay I wonder how it would have ended.