Ebay sellers...

Peter, Your father was clearly a courageous man. I guess if he had had a gun jam in combat, having two guns must have given him more reassurance, protection and opportunities. From what Wikipedia says, it took considerable strength to move and operate two guns on a Scarff ring, which is why they reverted to a single gun again after the war.

Did your father ever say how he managed to avoid shooting his own aircraft when using a Scarff ring? I can't see any reference to interrupter equipment.

Scarff Ring - Wikipedia

I'll ask on the Facebook group foir First World War Aircraft if anyone can help with a picture of a DVII in the colour scheme you describe. I can't find any reference to a 'Von Baun' Could it have been Konstantin Von Braun's Jagdstaffel 24?

You may be interested in reading about your father's aircraft, A7815 here, in the post by 'Vulcanworks' on 6 June 2008, 03:04 PM . Double Lewis gun on A7815

The colour scheme you describe is similar to that of Gottard Sachsenberg. Wikipedia describes his 'Marine Jagdgruppe Flander' as, '...switched from the Albatros to Fokker D.VIIs in June 1918. They were as colorfully and distinctively marked as Manfred von Richthofen's "Flying Circus" (Jagdgeschwader I), with the basic color scheme being yellow and black, as a yellow and black checkerboard had been Sachsenberg's personal motif, and it was spread to the entire unit, with minor variations marking the different pilots.'

Advert

In his final battle 9 aircraft had to bomb a bridge. 3 never took off, 3 turned back. The remaining aircraft were told to bomb and then climb for height. My father's pilot did that, The other 2 did not. They never made it back.

In the fight my father actually shot his own rudder control off.

At 22000 feet the German fighters could not reach them but this time they couldn't reach that height.THey finally crashed and,until they saw the solders coming to help them they did not know which side of the lines they were. Luckily it was on our side.

My father had badly shot up lower leg,a bullet through the shoulder and anther through his elbow. He was 13months in hospital. He was called up and served all through WWII

I can only say what he said about the German and probably he never knew exactly which Von Braun it was but he was sure of the colour scheme of the Fokker DVII.

I have found a copy of reconnaissance and bomber aces of WW1 and ordered it. I will now check out those link you have given me.

I did have a letter written by my father describing how he won the DFC. I have given it to 18 Squadron records.

Edited By Peter Miller on 29/06/2020 18:22:12

Peterr that is an incredible story! How anyone managed to cope astounds me. 22000ft on an unsupercharged engine is very good going, it must have been pretty asthmatic by the time it got there. I just checked Wikipedia, and it says they INCREASED the Rolls Royce Eagle compression ratio to 4.9:1 in 1917!

Did your father ever fully recover from his wounds?

By coincidence, 18 Squadron flies Chinook helicopters these days, and is based at RAF Odiham where I was gliding until recently.

I will ask a Facebook group I'm on to see if anyone has more info on the DVIIs of Von Braun's Staffel. There's a chap in Germany who has built several replicas of various WW1 Fokkers, and has done a lot of research on them.

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 29/06/2020 20:16:39

Posted by Robin Colbourne on 29/06/2020 19:16:38:

Peterr that is an incredible story! How anyone managed to cope astounds me. 22000ft on an unsupercharged engine is very good going, it must have been pretty asthmatic by the time it got there. I just checked Wikipedia, and it says they INCREASED the Rolls Royce Eagle compression ratio to 4.9:1 in 1917!

Did your father ever fully recover from his wounds?

By coincidence, 18 Squadron flies Chinook helicopters these days, and is based at RAF Odiham where I was gliding until recently.

I will ask a Facebook group I'm on to see if anyone has more info on the DVIIs of Von Braun's Staffel. There's a chap in Germany who has built several replicas of various WW1 Fokkers, and has done a lot of research on them.

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 29/06/2020 20:16:39

THanks

My father could never fully straighten his right arm which hampered his golf.

I believe that his years first in the trenches from about 1916 on and then the RFC did affect him psychologically which is pretty understandable and I believe pretty normal..

He did talk about his service.He was a maths teacher and the other boys discovered that if they could get him talking you could forget about geometry.

Imust copy the printed version of his description of the mission that won him the DFC. I hope thatI can post it here somehow.

Posted by Robin Colbourne on 28/06/2020 22:29:37:
Posted by Kevin Fairgrieve on 28/06/2020 21:16:57:

secret How much!!!!

Flair Puppeter

Why oh why does he say it was modelled on an Albatros DIII? THe Albatros has an inline engine with a big spinner, a fairly rounded fuselage and wingtips swept the other way.
Oh, hang on, the Albatros had black crosses too, that must be it!

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 28/06/2020 22:31:12

Indeed - it couldn't be further from an Albatross DIII unless it was a Flair Magnatilla or Triplane.. As mentioned, it's being sold by an antique shop and they do have some funny ideas about the value of models sold as ornaments.

If you watch Salvage Hunters or Antiques Road Trip it is suprising the number of tatty looking models hanging up in antique shops.

I once looked at Drew Pritchard's website and saw a couple there at ridiculous prices.

Some times I Iook at my semi retired stable and wonder A) how much they would give me for them and B) how much they would the charge for the same rather tatty item

I hope whoever buys this realises just how little of a Precedent Flyboy they will be getting... I seem to remember copious sheets of liteply; which are notable by their absence in the only picture out of four that actually shows the box contents!

Also if you look at the bids so far, this is a classic case of 'Shill Bidding'.

Precedent Flyboy

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 01/07/2020 17:54:53

Hi Guys

Not a complaint this time, but a puzzle.

Bought a Rotring set square from a seller on e-bay. Price was £3.95 + free post. This ordered yesterday and arrived today. Not bad.

The seller sent it by Bluecare Express, which I have never heard of, and included a tracking number. On the Bluecare express tracking site they are unable to provide any information for this parcel.

Anyway, when I opened the package I found a packing slip saying 'Thank you for shopping with Amazon'.

Eh?

Checked on Amazon site and they have the same item at £3.50, with free shipping if I take on an Amazon Prime 30 day trial. Otherwise it's a whopping £4.49 to ship, prospective delivery on Saturday.

I'm quite happy with the purchase, just a little puzzled whether I bought from an e-bay seller or from Amazon.

Any thoughts?

Jeff

Posted by Doc Marten on 09/07/2020 15:54:35:
Posted by Robin Colbourne on 01/07/2020 17:52:27:

I hope whoever buys this realises just how little of a Precedent Flyboy they will be getting... I seem to remember copious sheets of liteply; which are notable by their absence in the only picture out of four that actually shows the box contents!

Precedent Flyboy

£60 for a wingless, half box of Fly-boy parts?!

Yep, shill bidding suspected here or a buyer completely out of their mind. We'll know for sure if it's listed again at a later date.

Doc Marten, I would love to know what is going on. It did occur to me that it might be some form of money laundering, but it seems a lot of effort for a relatively small gain. If it was something in the hundreds or thousands I could believe it. The Flyboy isn't even a particularly good model even if the kit was complete.
Robin

• 4 weeks later...
Posted by Robin Colbourne on 09/07/2020 18:54:31:
Posted by Doc Marten on 09/07/2020 15:54:35:
Posted by Robin Colbourne on 01/07/2020 17:52:27:

Precedent Flyboy

£60 for a wingless, half box of Fly-boy parts?!

Yep, shill bidding suspected here or a buyer completely out of their mind. We'll know for sure if it's listed again at a later date.

Doc Marten, I would love to know what is going on. It did occur to me that it might be some form of money laundering, but it seems a lot of effort for a relatively small gain. If it was something in the hundreds or thousands I could believe it. The Flyboy isn't even a particularly good model even if the kit was complete.
Robin

I think you're being unfair to the seller on this occasion. Look at the recent transactions which have mostly gone for somewhere around market value.

Quite why there was so much competition to buy a plan, box and a few remnants from the contents is a matter for the perhaps deluded or careless buyer to consider when they open it in the cold light of day!