Ebay sellers...

Advert

Posted by Doc Marten on 28/06/2020 10:35:18:
Posted by David Davis on 28/06/2020 03:24:26:

The Laser 50 I was interested in went for £256.11. Too much for me.**LINK**

There was a Laser 45 a few weeks ago that went for the same David.

Next up......."Built by an expert builder"

Am I being too picky or does the lack of attention to detail suggest otherwise? I've seen many builds by forum members to a much higher standard, none of them claiming to be "Experts".

Expert or not, you shouldn't say it but

Look at this guy's feedback. A long list of very pricey sales

Why do a lot of you seem to enjoy having a go at ebay sellers, it make me angry some of the comments on here. The guy with the Hurricane he/she does say "built by an expert" they do not neccessarily say it is him/herself!!! Some of you have assumed it is the seller. And any balsa basher on here will know a beautiful swan emerges from every ugly duckling build process.

Ebay is an auction site, you see the item in the pictures you check the rating of the seller and make a decission to bid or buy now (if the item has that). If you think an item is over priced or not worth 2 pence you don't bid/buy. It's your choice to go either way. Why is it felt necessary to HAVE A GO at some sellers for trying. Don't forget some people don't realise as they may of been out of the hobby a long time how things and prices have changed. Why can't people just give people a break, there is to much verbal lashing out in this world which some take pleasure from and that saddens me.

PS. I am not a ebay seller, I do purchase a lot though and out of 550 plus purchases, I've had 2 problems that were dealt with swiftly by ebay.

Posted by Kevin Fairgrieve on 28/06/2020 21:16:57:

secret How much!!!!

Flair Puppeter

Why oh why does he say it was modelled on an Albatros DIII? THe Albatros has an inline engine with a big spinner, a fairly rounded fuselage and wingtips swept the other way.
Oh, hang on, the Albatros had black crosses too, that must be it!

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 28/06/2020 22:31:12

Posted by Robin Colbourne on 28/06/2020 22:29:37:
Posted by Kevin Fairgrieve on 28/06/2020 21:16:57:

secret How much!!!!

Flair Puppeter

Why oh why does he say it was modelled on an Albatros DIII? THe Albatros has an inline engine with a big spinner, a fairly rounded fuselage and wingtips swept the other way.
Oh, hang on, the Albatros had black crosses too, that must be it!

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 28/06/2020 22:31:12

Be fair. He said is was painted as an Albatross. Of course that also reveals his total ignorance because it is more like the Red Barons Fokker Triplane.

However we must be kind and not ridicule the poor, mentally bewildered idiots!!!

I notice it's advertised by an antique shop and they always seem to over estimate the value of model aircraft for some reason ... but £950 is a bit high even for an antique shop. It makes you wonder how overpriced the stuff is they sell that I have no idea of its value.

Geoff

Posted by Peter Miller on 29/06/2020 08:05:46:

Be fair. He said is was painted as an Albatross. Of course that also reveals his total ignorance because it is more like the Red Barons Fokker Triplane.

However we must be kind and not ridicule the poor, mentally bewildered idiots!!!

Actually Peter it DOES have the colour scheme of von R's Albatros and not the Dr1 - the 'all-red' Fokker had the early wide straight sided Greek crosses (and a red rudder) and he never flew it in combat winklaughcheeky

Ah Well,I am far from an expert on German WW1 colour schemes.

I do know one though. Von Baun's STaffel one Fokker DVII was all yellow witha black chequerboard across the top wing between the crosses.

This was the aircraft that shot my father down!!! He got a close view of that one but didn't get it.

There's an urban myth, Peter, that von R always flew an all-red triplane with the curved Maltese crosses - actually he only flew the all-red one a couple of times and never in combat (presumably he put on a display for visiting VIPs who wanted to see der Rote Jagdflieger in his all-red aircraft). That aircraft ended up in a Berlin museum and was, at a guess, destroyed during the bombing. The one he normally flew was partially red (fuselage forward of the cockpit and upper side of wings - aft of the square with the cross was the streaky Fokker olive green

Posted by Peter Miller on 29/06/2020 11:49:51:

Ah Well,I am far from an expert on German WW1 colour schemes.

I do know one though. Von Baun's STaffel one Fokker DVII was all yellow witha black chequerboard across the top wing between the crosses.

This was the aircraft that shot my father down!!! He got a close view of that one but didn't get it.

Peter, Was your father William Miller, flying with George Darvill in a DH4? I only ask because I found this:

Reconaissance & Bomber Aces of WW1 - William Miller (Page 37 Left hand side)

Its surprising how effective the two seaters were against the single seaters in the First World War. Presumably why the RAF thought the Defiant was worth getting in WWII.

That is him Robin.Officially had 6 kills from the back seatf the DH4. He also won the DFC for a particularly dangerous recconaisance flight.

He was one of the first rear gunners tomount twoLweis guns on the scarf mount.

He was actually going on his pilot training but volunteered for the last raid with his pilot when he was shot down and badly wounded. NEVER VOLUNTEER!!!!

What many people do not realise but the DH4 could climb to 22,000 feet. No oxygen, open cockpit.

Edited By Peter Miller on 29/06/2020 12:49:44