How many hours a week do you spend at the flying field?

Advert

Of course it's all weather dependant. Usually on a good weekend, from 12 to 6pm, so 12 hrs, maybe a couple of evening flights during the week.

The only person who probably does 20+ hours a week would be Ali Machinski and Paul Heckles. Ali, as he goes round the world, doing shows and demonstrations all year round (Dream job!) and Paul H (and others) doing their job -running flight schools during the week/end.

I've gone for 11-15 as an average as we tend to fly Weds, Fri & Sun regularly at my main club. The usual retired suspects. During the summer it gets close to the 20 hr mark as Weds night is fish supper night and we often fly till dark and beyond as some of the guys have lights fitted. We had a visit from the local constablary last summer, a patrol car with PC & WPC on board, and WPC insisted, (gigling fit to wet herself) laugh that PC thought he was seeing UFOs. blush They went away quite happy that they would be able to set the record straight if any reports from the public came in.

Like was said above the only thing that stops us flying is the wet stuff.crying When the wind gets up too much for conventional flying I usually fling up the JP Zagi. (It's "Unbustable" you know). Apart from the plastic motor/battery mount, most of which has now been replaced by Balsa.

The only real limmiting factor to more flying is SWMBO. devil

Alwyn

I've put down 11 to 15 as an average. I generally get to go 3 or 4 times a week. More during the summer months as that will include the odd evening. Even during these showery days I've managed the odd hour or 2 at the field. I'm very fortunate as I'm only a couple of miles from the field so can nip down for the odd hour quite easily.

Andy

I declared 6-10 hours a week.

Since the slope I use is also one of 'er-indoors and my favourite spots on the beautiful Dorset coast (and we're both retired) we spend many hours there - and if the wind is favourable I get in some gliding. Also like to spend time on the club's power site at least once a week but I'm flying very lightly built models at the moment and the wind has been too rough for safety so just spectating.

Ian

I had to own up to 20 hours per week plus.

Four factors influence the time I spend at the field . Firstly the field is only 4 mins drive from home .Then I have a very understanding partner .I don't like owning "hanger queens" and as there are over fifty serviceable models in my hangers they get flown .Lastly I am retired .

Weather rarely gets in the way ,and it's not unusual to fly two sessions per day. Some may ask "don't you get bored "? Well no because ,I might fly Autogyros one day ,then 3D the next then large thermal soarers, twins, Tri planes, Scale stuff, various sports models ,and so on .

Then there are other variations ,like Aero towing ,Teaching, Aerial photography,Combat, Formation flying, Test flying, So no boredom is not a problem .Finding room for all the models certainly is !

Tom.

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 24/04/2012 21:47:51

Posted by Doug Ireland on 24/04/2012 19:34:54:

0-2 hours, nowhere near enough! Work keeps getting in the way!

Anyone that says 20+ hours is either retired, doesn't need to work or has their own field!...

...Or hasn't a hot chick waiting for them at home... smile d

Wonder how many hours French or Italian modellers spend at the field? dont know

I've entered in the 11-15 bracket. Sat and Sun 5-6 each if I can, then a couple of hours on a Wednesday evening when the light nights are with us. Then if I can I'll sneak a foamie in the back of the car and snatch a quick 30mins-an hour on the way home from work the odd night! I tell Mrs BEB I've been working late!

But I had to come clean last year, she was starting to suspect I had a thing going with my secretary! But when she saw the plane and then my secretary she said it put her mind at rest. Why?

"Well", she said, "I know how much you love flying", ah sweet I thought. Then she added, "And she's far too young pretty for you." Charming!sad

BEB

Flick of coin between 6-10 hours and 11-15 hours. In a good week I can easily do three long afternoons and now longer evenings are coming then revisting the field for later seesions too can take it up to 20 hours no problem. In the last three weeks probably about 10 hours in total. The variation is quite extreme.

In the end I went for 6-10 but that might be rather conservative.

not enough.

Work, Job no2, swmbo all get in the way. I get as much as I can, but has been rather limited this last while. might get on sunday, but weather looks rubbish, and depends on getting something flyable on Sat - which is possible, but may be difficult. Then again SWMBO is out and about, and should have finished building my mates shed by midday!

Olly

• 2 weeks later...

I go every Saturday & Sunday. Saturday I arrive about 9.00 am and leave about 12 or 1.00pm both days. If it is to windy or wet we sit around drinking coffee and telling lies.. no, not realy. wink

It is an old fellows club with average age of about 60 year some of us still work, the oldest member is in the 80,s.

Our field is cut out of the bush so landing anywhere else except the strip is a trashed model so you go buy or build another one, makes good pilots though, those dead sticks are a killer. crying 2

I fly in Sydney Australia. smile d