The 'share your photos' thread (not model flying)

Posted by Phil Brooks on 14/01/2017 11:42:21:

Thanks Ken. Been there, done it! My first proper camera was a Pentax spotmatic, bought in the mid sixties when I was young and relatively rich. Sold it a few years later after getting married and receiving our first rates demand. I remember blacking out the kitchen and setting up the enlarger after loading the developing tank inside the lightproof bag. Went digital some dozen years ago, my last film camera was an Olympus OM10, don't know what happened to it, it may still be in a cupboard somewhere. I must admit that I love the freedom that digital systems offer, would hate to have to go back to rationing exposures to keep processing costs down. Then again, I am a bit of a tightwad!

Ken, Phil,

Thanks for the memories guys, I still have a Pentax MG & ME Super with the screw on motor drive. As you say they were the bees knees in their day and now they sit at the bottom of a cupboard in a bag complete with the greatest fumbling kit of the day, a changing bag for when you had to get a broken film out. The Vivitor zoom and the wide angle are all in there too. Shame it's not interchangeable with the modern kit! Now the Canon DSLR and the Nikon bridge camera do all the work, when I remember, or sadly the phone steps in.

It's progress yes, but for the better?

S

one of my friends went on holiday, put the 36 exp film in to get his prints...and had (none) kulou​ he hadn't put the film leader on to the spool correctly...her indoors was impressed/not by his mistake...

another tale of woe...... I was a member of the local camera club,they organised trips out to take pic's etc...... one lad had an expensive120 film size camera on his tripod over his shoulder....they were walking along the river bank and the quick release bracket decided to let the camera part company with the rest and go for a swim...as they do/not...... teeth 2 ....... 

ken Anderson...ne...1....... film dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 14/01/2017 13:26:51

SWMBO got my brother an M E Super in mid 80's for about £180 ( back of lorry ? can't remember ) .I sold it for him at a camera fair a few years ago for £35 ! He was well pleased and it was still mint and boxed ! My favourite camera is still my Nikon F 5 and it gets used every couple of years for nostalgia's same ! It just handles so well and sounds wonderful ! Like the little chap in b& w above . Colin

Posted by ken anderson. on 14/01/2017 13:22:56:

one of my friends went on holiday, put the 36 exp film in to get his prints...and had (none) kulou​ he hadn't put the film leader on to the spool correctly...her indoors was impressed/not by his mistake...

IA frind was renovating a house. and asked me to take pictures at a ceratin stage. I went round and took a full set. Then found that teh camera was not loaded. Never mind a trip to the nearest chemist nd anther trip round the house and I got them all.

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 14/01/2017 14:26:10:

I've still got a Pentax MX outfit, with motor drive and a selection of Super Takumar lenses. Haven't put a film through it for years but occasionally get it out for nostalgia's sake....smile

Pete

I used to go to my local auction house and eave stupid bids on boxes of cameras. One box had a Pentax Sptmatic and Super Takumar lens plus other stuff. cost me £58 goth nearly two hundred for the cbtents of that box.

Another time for about the same price a set of Zeis lenses, telephoto and others, plus othe cameras again, on Ebay over £200. One lens went to CHine.

Then they went on line a the prices rocketed.

Later they had abig box with about 7 NIkons plus lenses. It went for £130. I should have gone higher but I expected it to go for a lot more.

Ah, the good old days of 35mm film cameras eh?

Haven't used one in years but I still have, in no particular order:

Olympus Trip Compact, Zorki 4k rangefinder, Lubitlel 21/4 sq TLR, Olympus OM 10, Olympus OM1n.

Somewhere (in my mothers house I think) sits an array of darkroom stuff including an enlagrer, etc. Oh what hours were spent in the bathroom with smelly chemicals. I would never go back, but the romance of picture taking and print making seem to have long gone. Especially that magic moment as you witness your first ever print come to life in the developing tray.

Posted by Steve Colman on 14/01/2017 14:57:07:

Ah, the good old days of 35mm film cameras eh?

Haven't used one in years but I still have, in no particular order:

Olympus Trip Compact, Zorki 4k rangefinder, Lubitlel 21/4 sq TLR, Olympus OM 10, Olympus OM1n.

Somewhere (in my mothers house I think) sits an array of darkroom stuff including an enlagrer, etc. Oh what hours were spent in the bathroom with smelly chemicals. I would never go back, but the romance of picture taking and print making seem to have long gone. Especially that magic moment as you witness your first ever print come to life in the developing tray.

Only ever developed film once.

Never, ever pour hypo in the bath, it will NEVER be forgotten and you will never, ever be forgiven.

• 4 months later...

Managed to capture the pesky critter at last. Him and Mrs Firecrest come every morning for a bath and drink regular as clockwork. Not quick enough to snap her with the lovely orange cap with the white stripes.

Edited By fly-navy on 26/05/2017 00:07:44

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Friend and club member Allan Wright loves flying gliders with a Mobious video camera. I have built him an Easter Eagle glider which he loves.

On Friday 27 Oct he was flying from our field when he was joined by one of our local buzzards. He has sent me a couple of stills from that flight. On the second one he is already in a steep dive to avoid the possible attack from the bird.

close encounter with a buzzard (1).jpg

dogfight with a buzzard (1).jpg

For those who are interested, Easter Eagle is a low aspect ratio glider, 55" span, 12" Chord which flies like a dream

On a dull cloudy, cool day Alan had a 40 minute flight and only used 6 minutes of power. I am contemplating a much bigger version.

easter eagle mk3.jpg

Maybe the bird wing motif was not agood idea. My first EE was mobbed by a couple of rooks.