The 'share your photos' thread (not model flying)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes - you got it Cymaz. It's taken somewhere between Vancouver and Vancouver Island - which is where Tony Richardson lives. I'm half-expecting him to reply saying he knows who owns the yacht... teeth 2 This was taken on a whale-watching boat trip where we saw a couple of pods of Orcas.

Definitely go and see Canada - it's an awesome place. And a HUGE country. It's quite difficult for us to grasp quite how huge it is. For example, I stopped off for half a day in Toronto - as I'd never been there before and wanted to get a quick flavour of the place. My onward flight from Toronto to Vancouver was over 5 hours. Another example, friends of mine lived in Calgary for a few years, then moved to Newfoundland. When they were in Newfoundland they were actually closer to England than they were to Calgary!

I've had numerous ski trips to Banff, but until this year hadn't seen anything else of Canada. This year I flew to Vancouver (with the brief stopover in Toronto) and then drove around B.C. and Alberta, looping round Jasper, Lake Louise, Banff, then back to Vancouver. The Canadian Rockies are amazing. We drove 2,800kms on mainly empty roads and also got a few days late-season skiing as well. Thoroughly recommended! Have a browse through my Flickr albums - there are 9 albums from the Canada trip!

Hi John, no I have no idea who owns the yacht LOL but I do recognize Mount Baker - Washington State - in the background, you must have been in the Georgia Strait if you came from Vancouver or the Strait of Juan de Fuca now known as the Salish sea, named after one of the first nations people, it is not always that calm or that clear, glad you had a good time and enjoyed my adopted home.

We departed from Steveston and headed across the Strait of Georgia, cut between Galiano and Mayne Islands and continued down to near Sidney Island where we spotted the first pod of Orcas. My photo with Mt. Baker would have been taken somewhere between Stuart Island and Sidney Island. The crew on the boat regularly updated a chart on the wall for our benefit - here's a link to photo I took of the chart at the end of the day.

I've just checked on Google Earth, and Mt. Baker is around 120kms away. That's like seeing the Isle of Wight from central London...

• 2 months later...

hello phil, very nice too...I used to develop all my own B/W stuff in the land that time forgot last century...now i can convert to my hearts content any stuff I take using digi camera's ................ time marches on...there must be millions of film camera's gathering dust..i saved up £200.00 in the 80's to purchase a Pentax ME Super...bee's knee's at the time...saw one a couple of weeks ago at a market for sale £20.00 the lad on the stall said he'd be lucky to get that...

ken Anderson..ne...1..... photography dept.

Thanks Ken. Been there, done it! My first proper camera was a Pentax spotmatic, bought in the mid sixties when I was young and relatively rich. Sold it a few years later after getting married and receiving our first rates demand. I remember blacking out the kitchen and setting up the enlarger after loading the developing tank inside the lightproof bag. Went digital some dozen years ago, my last film camera was an Olympus OM10, don't know what happened to it, it may still be in a cupboard somewhere. I must admit that I love the freedom that digital systems offer, would hate to have to go back to rationing exposures to keep processing costs down. Then again, I am a bit of a tightwad!

Great shots Phil - I like them.

I too did a lot of B/W in an earlier life... In my university days I had a Zenit E SLR. I wasn't able to afford the Canon AE-1 until after graduating, but the totally manual Zenit taught me a lot. I had access through the university photo society to well-equipped darkrooms, and did some photography for the university newspaper. All great fun at the time, but would I choose to go back to film from digital? I don't think so!