In your experience what's the most common cause of a crash?

I voted "other" because although pilot error is a significant contributor IMHO, 'human' error is more usually the cause whether it be from an accidental wrong input from the pilot, bad preparation, poor building or poor flying skills (or all of the above!)

After many years of model flying I've all but eliminated bad preparation and building skills, but must admit to having the odd case of a flight induced brain f4rt! I guess that comes with the ageing process. indecision

I said engine failure. As long as there is power, there is a chance. Flew a model last weekend and the engine quit. Didn't quite make the strip on landing (cut low/downwind) and had to land downwind.

Only minor damage - ripped out u/c, but looking at other incidents, like losing engine after take-off or in awkward situations doesn't help. Not happens often - usually get down ok.

To be completely honest all my crashes have been pilot error of some sought. Even those some would put down to equipment failure.

Examples are, push a motor so hard that the motor burnt out, causing an electrical problem.

Another was charging a separate Rx Nicad pack, yet not checking that on load, the batteries were still providing the current for the radio set up. That is after a whole series of unexplained incidents. Yes, I finally stuffed the plane in , almost immediately after launch.

That is ignoring the standard types of incidents

All pilot error.

I selected 'Pilot Error' (or should that be inexperiance/overconfidence?) as that definitely sums up the couple of unplanned arrivals that I've had blush

I have seen a few at the field that seem to be loss of signal though. A particular club mate has lost at least 6 models and has sent his DX8 off for investigation. Nothing was wrong with it apparently, but he's lost some since.......

Posted by David Molineux on 09/05/2013 20:30:15:

I selected 'Pilot Error' (or should that be inexperiance/overconfidence?) as that definitely sums up the couple of unplanned arrivals that I've had blush

I have seen a few at the field that seem to be loss of signal though. A particular club mate has lost at least 6 models and has sent his DX8 off for investigation. Nothing was wrong with it apparently, but he's lost some since.......

cheeky

Posted by Tom Sharp on 09/05/2013 20:35:46:

Venturing out on to the flying field !!!!!!!!

For some individuals I'd classify that as "pilot error"!

In fact, on a more serious note, I'd say many crashes that are put down to other causes could probably be better classified as pilot error. Most planes don't crash simply because the engine cut. They crash because the pilot failed to handle the situation when it did cut, or had got into a situation where an engine failure would not be recoverable.

BTW, I voted pilot error! I can't recall a single crash I've had that I could honestly attribute to anything else...embarrassed

I've voted "other" In my case its either been pilot error or incorrect model set up ,both due to inexperience, when I investigate the causes of crashes that I cant explain as simple dumb thumbs pilot error ,It's usually down to some equipment set up error ,I do mean Error on my part and not failure of the component .I'v found that I've had to learn by trial and error and error seems to have played a major part in my flying tuition so far ,I've also found him to be an expensive instructor too ! but he always lets me keep the bits for spares embarrassed

Edited for language.....remember the CofC, folks!

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 09/05/2013 21:21:56

I always thought it was pilot error and certainly some were. But in the last couple of years I have flown 2.4 Hitec Aurora system and used a 6 volt high capacity battery for my receiver. I have not had a crash until recently due to a dead stick into a post on the field border. Happenstance to hit the post, no power to change vectors so to speak, otherwise, no damange would have occurred. So I surmissed I was having intermintten glitches due to battery/voltage drop out/brown out. So stay away from 4.8 volt/600 millliamper hour batteries. I use 2000 to 2500 milliampere hour batteries now days. That means sufficient power even when servo demands are high. So do your self a favor and use a big battery.

Pilot error - whether it's ambition exceeding ability, neglecting maintenance or just inexperience I'd say 99% of models go in because the pilot fouled up one way or another. Sometimes it's as simple as recognising you are not on your game and flying appropriately, sometimes it's the accepted risk of trying something new. Even engine and battery failures can usually be put down to poor setup or maintenance when it comes right down to it.

Most of my crashes have been due to disorientation caused by flying too far away, into the sun or just taking my eyes off the model. One was caused by using high rates for a fast twitchy plane and not reacting quickly enough. Another was by poor depth perception and misjudging a landing which went 'into the rough' and tore the u/c off. I can't think of any which weren't avoidable with a bit more skill, preparation or concentration. So my vote goes to pilot error.