In your experience what's the most common cause of a crash?

Hi it seems to me a lot of shall we call them mishaps could be prevented by a solid set of pre flight checks much the same as you are required to do in full size aircraft, it couldnt do any harm to commit it to a paper list,a few minutes may save your precious plane

We all know we should check our model, transmitter and weather before flying. Do we always, perhaps not, sometimes it yes.

Most, if not all will wiggle the control surface, do we always note if the sense is correct, is it the correct model and so on.

I do endeavour to build the process into my regime from home, arriving at the field.

So i am perfect it seems, unfortunately not, as most human beings, I less than perfect. What I have noticed though, those who point an accusative finger are often even less reliable, than those who try.

This form of pilot error will catch every single one of us at some point, those who have not, either do not fly, or need to reserve Sunday for the confessional.

i posted pilot error, because that acounts for most of the crashes iv seen, but all of my minor crashes has been down to engine failure, and my only major crash due to the wings partialy deciding they dont want to be part of the same airframe!

Servo/servoless retracts failure causing brownout on spektrum rx is the only thing to cause a crash lately with me, in early days then pilot error and then poor building ie linkages etc.

Point being that I now check everything regularly so as no to get caught out inc battery capacities, the only thing I cannot check is wether a servo is about to fail or not.

Hi all,

Is it classified as a crash when you go to load your plane into the van, misjudge the door width, and break the tail fin off on the door support? I cause most of my damage through clumsy loading and handling. Pilot error?

Just a thought! On a more serious note I voted pilot error.

Regards,

Winco Steve

I qualify as an old fart since I flew my first RC model in 1959. Engine and electronic failures were expected to happen. Reliability has increased to the point that I can't remember even seeing a failure that couldn't be traced directly to the pilot. Come to think of it the only thing that hasn't improved several magnitudes Is the pilot.

jamesf

++++++ WARNING: Very dry message follows ++++++

All reasons, except for structural failure (which arguably may be a builder error) and "other" are pilot errors. It is the pilot who is responsible for the engine tuning or even engine choice, in the case of the legendary MDS40, the pilot who elects to fly in adverse weather conditions, the pilot who has incorrectly set the CoG, the pilot who flies with undercharged batteries, the pilot who incorrectly wires the aileron controls (eg black to signal on an extension) or flies his model on the wrong transmitter model memory, or insufficiently checks that controls a full and free In The Right Sense.

RF failure is rare and when often thought to be a glitch it is in fact local turbulence, equally unseen. These, I think, are things the pilot can be forgiven for. Spekky radios can often be incorrectly boud, if for example you switch either Rx or Tx off and then switch it back on again, it will often inadequately rebind, displaying flashing led's. Is that pilot error, or "other"? Switch both off, then switch both black on and binding will be complete.

Some may say the above is harsh, but the model does not elect to put itself together and fly itself.

One chap in our club recently performed a range check with a Turnigy 9X and took off with it in range check mode. Result, piledriven into the ground. I wonder if he'd call that pilot error?

Problems like this and the ones above often occur because of banter and conversation during the setting up phase of the model. You know, you've just arrived at the patch, can't wait to fly and start talking to your mates. This is sufficient distraction to prevent necessary checks. Without a "sterile" set up and preparation phase, accidents will happen.

So, overwhelmingly, most crashes are pilot error IMHO.

+++++++ All Clear - Dry boring bit over +++++++

I've had a few pilot error crashes, to which haven't been too detrimental. Pushing the boundaries of my skills at an early on stage. Luckily foam sticks together quite well with a few kebab sticks as strengtheners.

On my larger models, engine failure/tuning (could be described as pilot error) due to learning to learn nitro setup. Had an instance where I was given a cheap model from my father with a merco 61. It really struggled to get off the floor...but once going it tracked and flew lovely.

I had an instance where i had the engine cut and couldnt get it back to the field as it ran dry at the end of the strip inverted. Fighting to keep it level i had to dump it in the adjacent field. Pulling the undercarriage out of the fuselage. All repaired i tried again and hindsight jumped in my way, i had noticed around 230g of lead in the nose...but forgot to remove it and thought i'd have another go at the field. This time it cut down wind, i rolled it inverted and nosed down to gain momentum to put it on the strip.

I pulled back on the stick, the nose raised slightly and then dropped back and plummeted into the long grass, pretty much writing it off.

Fortunately thats the only model i've written off yet, and hope to keep it that way.

With me it is pilot error usually caused by starting a manouver too low in the first place.

My last one was flying a WOT4foamie inverted at about 3ft off the ground slowly in a strong wind, the wind dropped and so did the plane.

Not much damage-easily repaired and the WOT4 is flying again

Will I ever learn? Doubt it

Surprised that the poll came with pilot error the main cause of crash. Don't know why this is so, as although there can be some dumb thumb moment, one shouldn't fly outside their ability and be prepared for the unexpected and able to react accordingly.

Same for driving a car , make a mistake and likely to crash the car, or worse. I suppose battery failure or mechanincal failure can be attributed to "pilot error"...

Loads of thing cause crashes and IME no single thing is to blame . I have seen models that have been really badly assembled fly faultlessly then an imaculate model crash. I think a lot is down to the pilot but possibly battery/bad charging or poor wiring are popular culprits . Disorientation also claims a few model at our club but I guess this "pilot error as they are usually too far away when this occurs.

At the scene of a crash all the "experts " gather .All the evidence suggests that most experts are a drip under pressure .smiley

One Pilot at our club,when looking at the wreckage buried deep in the ground said "believe it or not I was aiming for that hole "blush

Hi Guys, To some extent, all the suggested reasons are pilot error. For example, weather..if I decide to fly in poor weather, then its my fault when it all goes wrong. Structural, If I build or design badly, it's the same thing etc etc ernie

There really are some terrible pilots as this survey suggests. shame on you lot...Lol

As for the "other " response , was that taking your eyes off flying model after spying a curvacious model walking past, causing you to lose all sense of orientation? You should be more ashamed than the piloting error mob. tut tut tut.