Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Here's my Blackhorse Stuka that I bought second hand. The Saito 115 four stroke was swapped out for a proven Saito 125 and I finally managed to fly it on Friday. I added the cowl for Saturday and it flew really nicely. The mat finish for the covering looks really good, the yellow cowl suits the model and helps with visibility too.

p1020964.jpg

p1020965.jpg

Advert

Well at last I have finished my first 4ch. trainer, traditional build balsa/ply with a Solarspan covering, again a first for me.img_20170608_100746.jpg

img_20170608_100807.jpg

img_20170608_100841.jpg

img_20170924_120635.jpg

img_20170924_120708.jpg

img_20170924_120904.jpg

It's a very old Svenson kit, 55" wingspan with an Enya 19iv up front and weighs 1.3Kg. Hoping to maiden it very soon as long as the weather holds......

My other build is in my Madcap blog and again is still awaiting it's maiden........

img_20170324_113648.jpg

img_20170324_113454.jpg

I have changed the engine on this from a PAW 1.5cc to a PAW 1.00cc which is why it has taken longer to maiden, much fiddling as the smaller engine is actually much smaller physically and new engine mounts had to be made as well as a new fuel tank.......

I have also applied to join my local club but this is also taking longer than I expected to get insurance etc.

Hopefully both will fly soon nerd

Easter Eagle Mk 3

Just finished this yesterday. One of my very old designs but actually build for a friend. Originals powered by 21 Turn Buggy motors and 7 cell nicads. Now uses the same power as my Kitehawk.

Span 55.Area over 600 sq .in. Wing loading 8 oz per sq. ft.

Based on Eagle and Vulture plan forms And yes, it does work well.

easter eagle mk3 2.jpg

easter eagle mk3.jpg

Posted by Peter Miller on 24/09/2017 18:56:04:

Easter Eagle Mk 3

Just finished this yesterday. One of my very old designs but actually build for a friend. Originals powered by 21 Turn Buggy motors and 7 cell nicads. Now uses the same power as my Kitehawk.

Span 55.Area over 600 sq .in. Wing loading 8 oz per sq. ft.

Based on Eagle and Vulture plan forms And yes, it does work well.

easter eagle mk3 2.jpg

easter eagle mk3.jpg

I'm surprised it isn't powered with a glow 4 stroke cheeky.

I really like the classy wing covering design and impressed by the low wing loading which, I assume, includes the battery etc.

Geoff

Thanks for the comments about the SPAD. There's some more pictures in:

**LINK**

The Maxford kit is an ARTF, so it's not too taxing in a modelling sense; it's just that it's rather big (68" span, total weight inc batteries 6.4kg).
The grill at the front was not attached squarely as supplied, so I made a new one out of lolly sticks! The covering is shiny plastic film which is also a bit disappointing, hence my decision to add matt acrylic paint. I'm pleased with how it looks, though the paint doesn't adhere to the film very well (I should have roughened it first), so it's a bit prone to hangar rash.

Thanks for the link Mark, awesome work and pics.

Yes the trick with painting film is to roughen it up a bit first with steel wool (gently) and then give it a coat of primer. Tamiya make a very nice primer product for plastic and their acrylic paints adhere well to it.

Here is my DH-1 painted up.

www ground5.jpg

Hi Peter, love the EE Mark 3. Trying to sort out power train for my EE, that we spoke about a few weeks ago. As a dedicated ic man, got into all sorts of trouble with formulae and watts /lb etc and failed miserably lol. Wonder if you could help with your set up .Thanks ps did yo paint the eagle on the wings or was it a decal ? Cheers

Hi Fly Boy.

I took the power train straight out of KItehawk. All supl;ied by 4-Plus. Motor PO-2830-980. 20 amp ESC PP-TESC20AU. Programming Card PP-PROGCARD. Battery 3S2200 Mah 9" prop I think 6" pitch but Check with 4-Plus 1 1/2" spinner.

The model climbs like a homesick angel. Estimated 1500 feet in less than a minute. Then glides like a dream. The owner is highly chuffed with it.

The wing decoration is soooo easy! Tape down three colours of Solarfilm on top of each other.Take a circle cutter and cut the scallops to taste. Iron on to the wing starting with the rearmost one.

Tape two pieces of film down, non-adhesive faces together, Cur out the tip feathers freehand. Iron onto the wing. job done. I think the whole operation took about 45 minutes or so.

Thanks Peter, the only thing I had right was the lipo size lol. Obviously it will use a folding prop I assume. With that rate of climb and eventual height I may need a visit to. Specksavers first. All the gear now on order. Peter you are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you very much. FB3

Yes, I should have said a folding prop.

THat broad wing does show up very well. I hope that the underside is a dark colour as that stands out better.

CG should be at 3 1/4" back from the leading edge

You will find that once trimmed it will cope with some breeze. It will also turn tightly if needed. You can stand it on a wing tip.

Let us know how you get on.

I am a slow builder so this has taken more than a year, Chapter One with aileron wings

BUT

First build for 45 years

First build with electric power

First build with ailerons

First build with the iron-on covering, so dont look too hard at the engine bay sides or wing tips

Will maiden this weekend if the weather is right

20171001_152847.jpg

Made a couple of models this month. Both very quick builds (in the case of the FW190 just a few hours - I only ordered the kit last Sunday evening ie a week ago).

depron eurofighter.jpg

I bought this as a poly bag full of CNC cut Depron at the Nts swap meet from a Lite Flight Model Supplies (tel: 07762 824428) based, I think, in Norwich. I glued it together the following week mostly following the instructions but, as usual, made a few changes to suit my own ideas. Test flew it this afternoon in all its virgin white glory and it flew straight off the board (not that I ever use cliches ). My only problem was actually seeing it against the clouds and I cut the second flight short because of that - so the next step is a bit of colour and perhaps, if I'm adventurous, some canrd/elevator mixing (the canard is controlled via a slider on my Taranis and was set slightly positive then left strictly alone. £30 well spent!

hk gg fw190.jpg

An impulse buy from HK and I was able to use bits and pieces I already had laying about. Test flown again this afternoon. I was a bit dubious about how long the undercarriage with its flimsy looking oleos would last. The first landing was just short of the tarmac on the grass and one leg unglued without damage. After a hot gun glue field repair I managed a couple of successful landings on the tarmac. It flies OK but will take some getting used to as its behaviour on finals seems a bit odd. It dives for the ground when the throttle is shut and a bit of extra throttle to control the descent seems 'different' than models with proper aerofoils. It's probably just me but, again £23 (+p&p) well spent.

Geoff