Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Leo

I once had an ARTF aerobat with the tank so much higher than the inverted engine that it was always a fiddle to get the mixture so that it wasn't right for upright or inverted running but it did keep running when you rolled the aircraft! I think the Tutor also looks better with the lower cylinder head.

Having cut my teeth on C/L it was, as you point out, essential to get the spray bar on the tank centre line. Mind you, with a sidewinder on a flying wing that was easy!

Peter

Advert

For some relaxation I decided to build my third or possibly fourth "Little Ship"

For those who don't know about this fabulous little model I will tell you. Designed by airline pilot Dick Schumacher and featured in his article but with only a small version of the plan in January 1950 Model Airplane News

The radio was the tiny Otarion Rx driving a Ruddervator,which was a rotating vane which could be stopped in 4 positions to give left, up,right and down.

I built on in about 1980 and loved it. The whole club built them and everyone loved it. I even did a few kits which were popular.

The model will cope with quite stiff breezes without problems. Using Rudder and Elevator it flies like a dream and will even do pretty axial rolls.

It is dead easy to build and very cheap too. Only needs an engine UP TO .10. My original even taught someone to fly..

One member had an electric version powered by a Speed 400. THat flew until worn out. I am told that there afre one or two hanging around in members sheds even now

I also did the Big Ship which was another nice version.

little ship3.jpg

little ship1.jpg

little ship2.jpg

I thought I would have a go at E2K racing. This is my o/d model - Roadrunner. Not flown yet although it is now ready to go. And - yes - it does look like an ugly Liquorish Allsort  cheeky

roadrunner1.jpg

Cheap and cheerful racing for the masses.

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 23/10/2017 15:55:04

Posted by Peter Miller on 23/10/2017 14:58:36:

By the way, I am trying to get a copy of the Jan 50 MAN or even a copy of the actual article. Mine has gone somewhere!!

Can't help you with the Jan 50 MAN plan/article unfortunately Peter but have you considered reducing your Jan 2009 RCM&E plan (Big Ship, 58in span)? What span is the little ship?

img_20171025_160205.jpgBeen busy on choppers for a few weeks . Finished an Align 470 started in April. The mechanics are ok but getting the Spekkie Beast set up stretches the brain at my age . The Hughes is an Align body hiding a Blade 450 X picked up for £120 including case and lots of spares. Basically unused ! The Hughes was ok from the start and looks great. Needed a small amount of lead in the fuselage front to balance. The Align took several attempts to get off the ground cleanly and several resets of the Rx to get there, but today just a tail rotor gyro reverse and away ! Trimming next and a rubber car mat to take off from !2017-10-14 09.52.51.jpg

Colin

Edited By Colin Carpenter on 25/10/2017 16:26:05

Edited By Colin Carpenter on 25/10/2017 16:26:49

I flew my new DB Se5 a a couple of weeks ago. It's got a Zenoah 38 and hitec servos and spektrum radio. It took 10 years to build, on and off and flew with no trim change. It's weighs in at 21lbs with no added weight as I made use of the 2 sub C 5cell nimhs. It's got quite a lot of scale detail which took a long time including rib stitching.

img_0125.jpg

My latest model is of a Scottish Aviation Bulldog, built from a plan pack kit from the mid 80,s, I obtained it a few years ago, put it in the loft and forgot about it, looking for something else earlier this year I found it and decided to build it, the plan was of the dye-line , ammonium developed variety and had almost gone blank, but the wings were foam/obechi covered and so were the fuse. deckings which had survived well a small ammount of lifting of the obechi only, so the build was both very quick and simple, it was designed for I/C power and I fly only electric, so the only mods to convert were a box on the front of the bulkhead for the motor and somewhere for the battery, I test flew the plane 2 weeks ago, once off the ground it flew really well, a couple of clicks aileron and the same for elevator and settle back and enjoy, shes fitted with flaps , but as it was quite windy, I decided not to use them and she flew in for a perfect landing, subsequent flights have confirmed what a nice flying plane the Bulldog is , and its one that you dont see many models of, she still takes forever to get off the ground, but I have revised the size of the wheels( bigger nose,smaller main ) to try to increase the angle of attack, will advise if this cures the only problem this plane has.

Scratching the scale glider itch with a Seagull Pilatus B4.

Converted to EP using an XPower XC3522/5 Long Shaft outrunner and 2 x 3 cell 2200mAh Lipos in parallel to achieve the recommended CG, giving an effective 4400mAh 11.1 V supply through a 60A esc.

Seagull Pilatus B4

Seagull Pilatus B4

Now for something at the other end of the spectrum; a Freewing F-8 Crusader. Too cute to resist and a rarely modelled fighter .

FW F-8 Crusader

Posted by DaveyP on 05/11/2017 09:34:38:

@ ChrisB, that's a very good looking SE5, one of my favourite ww1 aircraft. Any details of it's spec.?

Thanks.

Its a DB Sport and Scale kit.

80" span, about 65" long. 1/4 scale. Zenoha 38, 21lbs. AR8000, Hitec 645mg servos and twin switches with 3300mah, 6v sub C receiver packs. Covered in solartex.

CB

Posted by Erfolg on 05/11/2017 16:22:55:

Has Christmas been, and I have missed it? There are a lot of new models about.

A few more details with respect to the Crusader would be really interesting.

Apologies for the delay. Here's the link to the Crusader web page

Bottom line is 545mm span, 825mm long for a 64mm fan and 1000~2200mAh 3 cell Lipos.

it's a little cracker!