Summer's here! Who's been flying?

Finally managed to get a few projects cleared, one of which was some plane benches for the club so treated myself to an evenings flying! The local weather forecast promised wind & rain all afternoon but the bright sun and calming winds suggested otherwise. By the time I was ready to load up the wind had almost completely abated so I loaded up the Puppeteer and the Tiger Glider.

The Pup maidened last Sunday and in it's first short 5 minute flight refused to respond to down elevator trim which turned out to be a disconnected pull wire which was totally my fault for not doing the final thread locking after dry assembly, so I was eager to give it another go!

Got to the strip around 8pm and sent the glider up with a wing cam attached to the side of the fuselage. Ran the little OS .25 FP until it was almost a dot in the sky then cut the engine and settled into what turned out to be 20 minutes plus of floating around! laugh Did this twice to get some high altitude video of the surrounding area and before I knew it it was nearly 9pm! Time for the Pup!

With the nice clean silver clevises, screw adjusters and lock nuts now covered with a tint of blue threadlock it was possible to set the trims properly and in a couple of minutes she was flying level, hands off at quarter throttle! Beautiful!

Flew circuits and fig 8's for a tank them landed and went up again to practice low passes and touch & go's. I was really pleased how much she would slow up and pass by 4' off the deck, the noise of the wind passing over the wings and through the rigging wires brought a big grin to my face! A lot of work worth doing!

Finally landed after flying another tank and started packing away about 10pm. By the time I left the field it was getting quite dark!

I just love these summer evenings! laugh

Lovely sunny Saturday here in PL27 at the field. There was only 6/7 turned up. Probably sometng to do with a vintage vehicle show at Padstow and Woodsprings show.

Finally got my carb sorted ( I think ) on the Flair Giles 202. I lost power last weekend so stripped everything down. Turns out it was a broken exhaust valve spring. So had to reset all the carb settings. Finally put a piece of fuel tubing over the main needle. That seems to have cured the inconsistent running in the air.

Arrived at 10am left at 6.45pm. Not a bad day in the end. Never did get to fly the Wot 4.! With hind sight should have taken a big Bipe.

Carrying my models back into the house this lunch time my wife said, oh, my God! You are whiffy get upstairs and get showered and changed, now. Yes, my dearest darling I meekly replied.

Had I gone out like this, of course not. All the consequence of a good couple of hours at the field.

Everything started quite well, my Canard was test flown, by test pilot. The major initial issues either gone or apparently acceptable. The model was now tracking straight, the constant left turn, not needing to be trimmed out. The aileron response now being acceptable.

Now we have two new issues, the first is pitch up on opening the throttle from low to high. This is easily dealt with by increasing the up thrust. The second is not so easily dealt with, which is wing rocking at low speed, my TH, CS does the same. Unfortunately the wing tip caught on landing according to the pilot, which has slightly damaged the body. Now fixed. I had thought it was the propeller that caught, breaking it. Maybe it was a combination of both.

At present I have no fix for this, all depending what the cause is. i will start a separate thread to discuss what the issues are and possible cures.

I then flew two other models, nothing much to say about them.

What really had an adverse effect on hygiene, was another club members auto gyro landing just out. Retrieval involved a general club hunt initially through a mixture of 4 ft nettles with thistles and other weeds. We all looked so bizarre as we followed in file, arms stretched up, to avoid being stung, whilst the leader cut his way through, using a very large machete. Then we all entered a thicket of bush type plants, listening for the sound of a blipped motor. Luckily the model was retrieved with no damage at all, the vegetation acting as a arrester net. But boy was i hot, sticky, bitten by insects and stung near to death by the nettles.

We all had a good time, playing at jungle explores and some flying to bootindecision.

Been out a few times during the last week. Had some great flights with the Wot4 e, but yet to have a successful fly with my new Radjet 800. The published COG appears to be at least 15mm to far forward, and to move the battery back requires open fuselage surgery, which I performed on Sunday evening, having tried 3 times to get it in the air that afternoon. Hoping for a calm evening this week to try again. Mart

strong n/ne winds today-found us at the coast---enrico the little foreign lad had an accident on tues(with his glider)...and one of his leg's had a large bruise on it-so he was using his chair today at the cliffs to allow his undercarriage to heal....alright for some I hear you say...etc..

ken Anderson ne...1......cliff's dept.

enrico3.jpg

enrico2.jpg

enrico1.jpg

LOL, Stevo! That's one of the radio masts that I believe were used by the now no-longer existing Cullercoats Radio station - which used to provide communications with ships. No idea if the masts are still used - I think the ones at Cullercoats disappeared several years ago.

(I will now wait for Ken or one of the other locals to point out it was several decades ago...)

stevo-them there radio masts are a fare old distance away and as JP says they were and still are used by the shipping people....and the original base station etc that was there was one of the first to receive the radio messages from the 'titanic'.......when it was in trouble...then relay the messages on to land based stations........this is what I was told by a club member who was into amateur radio stuff....

ken Anderson ne....1..... titanic dept.

And indeed it turned out to be a good afternoon. Warm, without being hot, dry apart from a the merest hint of spots of rain for a minute or two and the breeze - occasionally a little blustery, but mostly fairly gentle - straight down the strip.

I now have 9 batteries either on the charger or waiting to be charged!

Been out flying the Blaze glider I got at W&W. On the first flight I found that I'd got the rudder was reversed when I set up the V tail mix. Also it needed a lot of left trim. After sorting out these problems in the pits it flew well. For a glider it's quite fast and has plenty of power. I measured 224W at 23A on my Wattmeter - about twice as much as the motor in my Hawk 1500.

After days of strong wind, yet warm sunny weather the wind dropped today.

Unfortunately a non club day, so I will be flying alone today then. Not so, as I realised as i approached the car park, along the lane, my choice of parking bay was limited. There are more here than usual, seems we all thought alike.

So the flying went really well, except, when I came to fly my Albatross, there was no Lipo when I came to power up, so rather than the four models, just the three.

I have started to explore the capabilities of my Parkzone Stinson Reliant. In my hands it can do very little. It will loop, it will make the barraelly rolls you have ever seen when I do it. Although the rudder seems very effective in take off, it does little when trying stall turns and chandelles. It seems that I need to improve my capabilities to wring more out of it.

Perhaps the most unusual event, was the arrival of the Police from the local airport. They asked a few (a lot) questions and mentioned a few issues, stayed about an hour. Then left, quite friendly on the whole. And I did not even know there was such a police force!