Summer's here! Who's been flying?

The idea that anybody who is not an employee, cannot make a decision with respect as to what activities that they are not permitted or cannot decide for themselves what risks are acceptable, must be living in  a jobs worth world, a bit of nonsense, pretending to be a H&S issue.

Are you allowed to drive by yourself, stay at home, or perhaps garden by yourself, of course you can. There are so many activities that undertaken as a lone individual, it produces an almost infinite list. So what is special about flying a model plane? You are not an employee, it is your responsibility.

Is it time to challenge silly rules and individuals who seek to control others actions, or maybe vote with your feet and wallet.

Edited By Erfolg on 14/06/2014 22:29:35

Posted by Erfolg on 14/06/2014 22:28:33:

Is it time to challenge silly rules and individuals who seek to control others actions, or maybe vote with your feet and wallet.

Edited By Erfolg on 14/06/2014 22:29:35

Not totally silly in view of the ageing population amongst modelers and the possibility of someone popping their clogs at the field, but it is a bit H&S for a hobby. They are a good crowd though so I wouldn't leave just over this one rule.
It has motivated me to look for a second club to join, can't beat keeping your options open.

Bob, you may think it is not a silly rule. Others are entitled to think otherwise.

I may be ageing, it does not stop me thinking for myself, nor making decisions which impact primarily on myself.

You may not choose to leave a club over this rule, I certainly would.

Much of what passes for Health and Safety is not recognised by the H&S Executive itself.

We had a member at our club cut his wrist on a prop very badly, cutting an artery a couple of years ago. It was bandaged as best we could then another member drove him to the nearby hospital, He was told at the hospital that two people should have gone with him so that one can drive and one look after the patient.

So this would mean that you should not fly unless there are at least three people at the field!

I am all for rules when needed but where does it end? Surely at the end of the day its at your risk. And as for elder modellers popping there glogs at the field, this could happen at any time. So can they not drive alone, or go for a walk or watch telly?

Couldn't agree more on a personal level, but the club has decided that there is to be no solo flying so that

a) there is assistance on hand in the event of injury or illness

and possibly more relevant

b) there is a witness available in the event of an accident/third party injury (ie member of the public) claim, report of dangerous behaviour, excess noise etc. that could affect the club's site planning permission renewal.

Now I could throw my teddy out of the pram and go elsewhere, but as I said earlier, they're a good crowd and I knew the rules before joining so is it worth getting bolshy over a minor point?  Yes, it's frustrating on occasion but hardly the end of the world.

Anyway, I'm now going to pack the car and go prospecting at the North Worcester club site.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 15/06/2014 10:30:59

Well, Today is grey and miserable but i figured as everyone will of been up late watching football , call would be quiet so I decided to try and launch my sipa 200 from the launch dolly I made. I am glad I sneaked out as it worked perfectly. Video to follow later. Well pleased with myself Stephen. It now means that I don't have to rely on anyone being at the field when I want to fly it.

Steve

common sense and safety...... I read that if you were at a site( secluded one) and with a powerfull model that you caught your digits in the prop....you.would prob pass out and not wake up as the old amber nectar would drain out of you in minute's.....we had a one last year a lad in his 70's who caught his arm and lost a litre of blood...... I was like a mass murder trying to stem the flow......and it took an ambulance 30 min's+ to find our site.......we learnt a lesson and had the coordinates for our site made in to a plaque that is fastened to one of the seats and easy to send off if reqd in future....the weather at the time was really nice also-ok Pete...teeth 2 .......hot

club sign.jpg

ken Anderson......ne.....1.......weather and........ .lost blood dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 15/06/2014 11:07:58

Bob, I do think you are being disingenuous to suggest that challenging or being unwilling to accept imposed rule is "throwing your teddy out of the pram".

Being anywhere, on your own, always implies that any illness etc., can occur unobserved. You do not need to be flying for this to happen, it could happen just as easily whilst being in the field. You can fall ill behind the wheel of a car, at any age. Yet at present, no one is prevented from driving alone.

I can see the sense in encouraging all to carry a mobile phone with them, be it flying, walking (say in remote locations) etc.

For my part I would campaign to change such a rule, if it is apparent that I am a voice of one, I would endeavour to find like minded flyers and join them.

Edited By Erfolg on 15/06/2014 11:04:36

I thought the weather forecast for the weekend was supposed to be warm and sunny - at least tha'st what they were saying on Friday. Yesterday I was out all day - round-trip to Manchester and back - and apparently it rained a little while I was gone. Today it's dull and gloomy - looks like it could rain at any minute. I'm not very hopeful I'll get any flying this afternoon...

Here in Manchester it has drizzled most of the morning. At lunch, the wet stuff finally stopped.

I did go to the field, I had wondered if I would be the only one, which proved to be correct. Walking onto the patch, even the very short grass soaked my shoes. As I looked around, the field was continuously criss crossed by House Martins, skimming the ground at no more than 3", for much of their ginking flight. Not one flying at height other than briefly as they flew above the non mown outer field.

Barely a breath of wind could be felt, the sky almost a uniform grey with shades of blue, creating some texture.

I did contemplate that under these conditions, there will be few thermals, as the ground soaked up the heat. Those thermals popping of, being few, and far between. Not a thermal day, yet catching that one thermal and working it would have been satisfaction enough, when I flew thermal models. Now a power flyer, these subtleties pass me by, normally.

I watched a duck, fly off into the distance, a few crows pass noisily by, and thrushes, working the short grass, looking for grubs, I presume.

Eventually I was joined by another member, who test flew a model which has a new motor.

I retreated to the car, feet sodden, with dampness creeping up the bottom of my trousers from my shoes.

I still enjoyed that hour, at the field.

I've had quite a similar morning - yesterday was rained off but this morning I loaded up between showers of light drizzle an made my way to a deserted flying site, that, as always is beautifully manicured and set in stunning surroundings. Nobody at the field though, other than Biffo the Bull and his family, sitting down in the damp grass and a variable 8mph breeze, that was giving some decent gusts. Anyway, nothing ventured, so after putting a battery on to charge, I put together my Aerowatt and committed aviation.

Can't really say that it was all that enjoyable, the air was very lumpy near the ground and gusty winds rocked the model on low passes, Okay at altitude, so I beat up the overcast for a bit, before landing at the second attempt.

In the end I was at the field for about an hour but the wind got stronger, the drizzle returned and I only had one flight. If there had been others there to pass the time I might have hung on a bit longer and waited for the drizzle to stop, but there's no great joy in flying entirely on your own IMO and I set off for home.

As I worked today (Sunday) I got to use the company van, due to my car having a major operation.

So I was able to take my Bixler and have a couple of flights after work, over the fields that adjoin the indistrial estate. All the grass had been harvested during the week.

With a moderate breeze blowing mostly along the valley I had plenty of low passes over my intended landing strip.

Had to dodge a few giant black plastic covered wheetaibxes if I strayed too far out, but brought all my landings to wothin 30ft of the shady gate where I was standing.

After I had trimmed out a curious right turn tendancy, the early evening flights were very nice. smile d

Posted by John Privett on 15/06/2014 12:09:39:

Today it's dull and gloomy - looks like it could rain at any minute. I'm not very hopeful I'll get any flying this afternoon...

Well, I went flying this afternoon, and the weather was as bad as predicted... It didn't rain - well, not until after I'd set off to come home - but it was dull, not very warm and with a stiff breeze directly across the strip. I spent a couple of hours there, but only had three flights. the others who were there didn't fly much either. Has summer been and gone already?

Posted by John Privett on 15/06/2014 21:27:13:Has summer been and gone already?

Hehe. 

Cymaz, just like me, seems to live in the SW corner of this green and pleasant land. Summer is parked down here at the moment. My mum in Hastings was complaining about dull days when I spoke to her on Sunday. Hmm, does that mean I'll have to use heavier models if I move there? wink 2

Edited By Chuck Plains on 17/06/2014 07:39:05