Summer's here! Who's been flying?

I went to our club field yesterday morning, sunny and warm with just a light wind. I expected that others would be there but no-one was. Meanwhile I had set up and flown a couple of electric gliders and my WOT4 Foam-E. Still no-one arrived so I put a battery on charge and flew another model. More flying and charging so after a couple of hours I packed up and went home. It would have been nice to have had some company, but with limited time, good weather and a car full of planes I wasn't going to waste the opportunity. Once I was in a club that didn't permit solo flying or any flying at all before mid-day, so I left and joined another club with a more accommodating approach. I/C flying at certain times is restricted because of noise but I fly gliders and electric so I'm not affected by that. Whenever I have the time and good weather I'll go out and fly, if anyone else is there, fine. If not I just fly on regardless.

I had a very similar day. Turned up just after lunch, first time in a long while mind you, to an empty field. Only one other chap turned up, so we had a very relaxed afternoon. Must have all been at Greenacres.

probably just as well as I was a bit nervous before hand having not flown for a few mounths, forgot all about it after the first flight. Good day won't leave it so long next time.

Two excellent afternoons this weekend at my club where we can't fly solo or before noon. Probably not buster prop's former club (we're nowhere near M.K.) but for us at least it's not a matter of not being accommodating, just something we have little or no choice over.

Anyway, a good turnout on both days with a gentle breeze almost straight down the strip - though in opposite directions on the two days. We flew until our 8pm 'curfew'. Hopefully there's quite a few more weekends like it ahead before the nights start drawing-in again.

I probably meant 'restrictive' in relation to club rules instead of implying that they were not being accommodating about flying alone and before mid-day. These rules are sometimes a condition of using the field or because of the fear of accidents happening to lone flyers. Personally I'm willing to take that risk and just be careful. On this point we agree or disagree. I read some earlier posts on this subject which said if you don't like the rules of a club then leave and go elsewhere which is what I did. My present club has fewer rules and as far as I know there have been no serious accidents. Before joining any club I'd read its rules very carefully and if necessary not join it. BTW I was at the field alone again this morning. If I was in some clubs I wouldn't be getting much flying done!

Percy

Did you check your equipment for condition prior to use?

I have thought from time to time when considering this issue how reasonable is such a rule. The first time it occurred to me was watching a farmer operating a tractor whilst cutting our field, then connecting some other equipment to throw the straw across the field. Since then i have often observed various people engaged in farming engaged in all manner of tasks, some fraught with danger, such as ditch clearing, all normally alone.

In principle it must be desirable to always have some one in attendance, who can call for help.

Then I think of my dearly beloved, who baby sits for two days, totally alone, sometimes using sharp knifes and other tasks. I am put under pressure from time to time to assist her, but then again I prefer to take the risk of staying at home and all the risks that entails.

Perhaps even greater concern, was my mother, who refused to stay with me, preferring to be alone, at the age of 86, whilst frail, infirm and all that that implies.

On balance the risks of flying electric models alone, are quite low, although, there are some.

Edited By Erfolg on 24/06/2014 14:43:47

Sunday was a perfect day for flying - couldn't go

Monday was a good day for flying - couldn't go

The weather forecast for this morning was good, turning windier later. So, on that basis, we went flying earlier this morning.

It started off nice and calm, quite warm and sunny, but over a couple of hours the wind got up, the temperature went down and the sun disappeared. Next we knew, this:

caught out by rain.jpg

Simply a case of waiting for the showers (quite heavy) to pass and then carry on!

Eventually the wind got too strong, and as further rain was on the horizon, sense prevailed and we packed up!

Cheers GDB

Flew Friday for a couple of hours, Saturday a couple, Sunday an hour or so; Monday, yesterday and this morning I flew for half an hour before work, with my Yak UMX in the park - before dog walkers arrived.

Making the most of it as the Tour De France stuff has started - the park is an official parking sit6e. A fair arrived yesterday and the council have built a number of concrete ramps to get cars etc. off the road an onto the grass -at least it's dry at the moment, so maybe it won't be a complete eye sore when it all ends. Doesn't affect the Yak of course as I either just point it up, give it some juice and let go, or take off on the quiet road next to the park.

GG

Yesterday, I went as usual to the club field, not an easy undertaking, when one considers all the modern pressures on us old ones, with the Football section of the paper to read, then the need to be ready for the start of the football, pundits predictions to consider before the match, the last one often finishing late at night.

One of the reasons I felt the need to go, was how much longer can the good weather last? The other was to check out a model which had been subjected to an act of vandalism whilst at Greenacres. There is no need to worry, no need to inform the authorities, as the culprit confessed. The matter is a closed book now, that is other than I now feel the need to confront the culprit with the model, sigh, shake my head. As you can tell I have been very balanced with respect to this crime, which at one time could have lead to transportation, in these enlightened times, restricted to asking the transgressor to confront their heinous crime.

At the field, I was very surprised, as arriving reasonably early at 01:00hrs, there were already 4 or 5 cars present.

On the patch itself the contrast with Greenacres was immediately apparent, so much smaller, no flat landing area, more a scale model of the Pennines, although most of the landing area is commendably short, almost a short as a cricket pitch, in places.

I immediately flew my Parkzone Reliant, as this was the perfect weather to check out the trims, after my repairs. I was particularly concerned with the rudder, due to a reduced throw and the elevator as this is now not quite in the same location. I need not have worried, as the model responded well to the rudder on take off, to the extent I now think, I should have either used a lot more exponential on he original setting or possibly cut down the throw/servo travel. The model lifted cleanly, climbing gently out. At a reasonable height, I did realise I did need a lot more up trim, which i did feed in, although running out of trim. I will reset the surface shortly.

I then went on to fly my PC, feeling free to do so now, as loosing it would not be breaking faith with the mass build anymore. Although I trust this does not happen. Finishing my session using my vee tailed CS, freeing a seized wheel has made a massive difference to the take off, now controllable. Although it may seem obvious that a seized wheel would cause issues, I was not completely convinced that the wheel was seized at the previous flying session. Anyway, that bit of maintenance seems top have worked.

Enough about myself, much more interesting is the progress of two other modellers who joined up last year about the same time as myself, just a little earlier. Both have now switched to IC models to train on for the "A" cert. Both having written of as far as i can tell, two or three models each, one a IC model. One is now flying my old club Mascot, on a buddy lead system. Having done its service and survived training modellers in the Uni Heavy Lift comp. You cannot believe how protective I feel about this model.

With this spell of good weather they are trying to get some air time in, yet it is surprising, and probably frustrating for them, that lots of niggling issues seem to restrict getting into the air. After some 12 months of endeavour I do commend their commitment. We also have one new modeller who has joined us, with a trainer that takes itself off, has some self righting systems and is capable of 3 levels of capability, the last being under the full control of the pilot.

The other modellers, flew as usual for them, not for them is the constant concern that I have with respect to the trees, which occasionally seem to move and try and grab my model. I guess that is the difference between an ordinary pilot and the more skilled. They being constantly aware of their physical surroundings, where the trees, and sun are.

On a more sour note, one of our models did not return last week, being seen to go in behind the tree line. The grasses, nettles, thorns and balm producing an almost impenetrable wall, requiring protective gear and great determination to penetrate. It is still missing. Although this has spurred the club into greater efforts to control or manage the environment bordering the strip, although the issue is to great for us to deal with the wider area.

Anyway, I went home, undertook some slight mods to Canard and will later today start on the mods to the Me 109 to bring that up to spec. ready hopefully for the next good weather system to reach us.

I must be away now to get ready for tonights footballwink

Refreshed from Greenacres and knowing that my sister is arriving today (after her flight was cancelled by the wonderful french air traffic strike) so my Saturday pm at the club was going to be a 'no no' according to SWMBO. But, I needed to fly! During the week I had had a couple of late evening flights out of my garden with the Fun Cub - it's the best in my hangar for avoiding the trees and bushes. Normally I would fly over the field out the back but my neighbour, a farmer, has put crops in again this year! Very selfish!

Yesterday - I took my YT Monsun, faithful Boomerang and the P2K to the piste (strip) full of hope. When I arrived, unusually, there were two vans already on site. Initially this arose feelings of an afternoon of camaraderie in the pilots' box. A closer inspection revealed that one member was burning the weeds around the edge of the strip with a rather pathetic flamethrower and the other was struggling with a massive two wheeled vibrating roller levelling the large rough area left after our levelling of the ground at the side of the strip. So 2 hours later after feeling morally obliged to help out with the roller the ground was prepared in advance of our glider day on Sunday, which SWMBO has again indicated may fall into the 'no no' category.

The others departed and Terry had a rather unsatisfying flight with Boomer - it just wasn't right. The engine was a bit rich on the low end - sorted. However, it just didn't seem to be my Boomer - it was out of trim? Too much fiddling didn't improve it and no fault found so It must be me? indecision

Out with the P2K - decided to use a tray for the first time (thanks to Martyn K). Interesting!

Just after I launched, the ex- President arrived to collect the roller. So a quick landing and then brute force to get a 1 ton roller up a set of smooth metal ramps and into the Renault van. Another couple of short flights with the tray (and the P2k) and then time to rush home to meet the 18.30hrs deadline to get the dinner on the table for 19.00hrs for the wifey person as faithfully promised. Monsun stayed in the van.

Just wasn't right overall though - maybe watching the skilled piloting at Greenacres has shown up my own failings....... I'll give the Boomer a really good going over to see if there is anything.

But I did fly so that's a bonus! smiley

Terry

red hot up here in the northern territories (Northumberland) plenty flying getting done...... although Monday afternoon was spent searching for a model that had gone Awol in the wood's at the top of our club site...and also looking for one of the undercarriage legs that had 'fallen' off a Cessna .... during it's maiden flight.......neither were found---but yesterday the model in the woods gave its self up and surrendered...after its night out....

ken Anderson....ne....1......... red hot dept.

Took a day off yesterday and spent it playing with a Duraly Hiperbipe - £70 including motor, esc and servos. 1 evening to assemble (glue on wings and tail and plug in a receiver) and flies a treat - maybe a little tail heavy for conventional aerobatics but even I could get it prop hanging - for a few seconds!

It was a perfect flying day, barely a breath of wind and just enough cloud cover to prevent dazzle. Even the pollen level seemed lowthumbs up

I know summer is really here when i head for morning paper, in my shorts, shirt and it is nice a warm. No concerns about will it rain, of course it will, but not today. A bit of gardening in the morning, where does all the grass and weed come from?

Just ready to go to the field, when there is a significant thud on the French doors in the kitchen. What was that, said my wife. Oh dear, there is a bird on the floor. Examination of the poor creature indicated it was dead. Sadly I buried it in the garden. Rather sad, that on such a nice day, not everything goes well, a rather sobering thought.

Sadly I departed for the field, where I found that a significant number of cars were already here. As I walk to the field, I come across two of our members holding a small to medium model of a Se5a. It turns out to be a Keil Kraft model, nicely built buy a free flighter and given to a member as part of an attic clear out. Further discussion reveals that he also a member of my club No.1. I have never seen him there although he to has been a member for years. It turns out it will not be flown at our site, due to its nature, but on a NT site, from where a club operates. I have thought of joining the self same club myself, flying in Parkland of a massive estate, Dear as a backdrop, also a historic site where the Red Berries made practise landings. Now that is a site.

Just like Greenacres, there is a 90 degree cross wind, OK for taking of, as into wind, away from the flight line, not so for landing.

I flew two of my models, my Delta being buffeted about although the max wind speed was only 10 mph. It was the gusting though that made things awkward. None the less I made three flights with various models. By now it had clouded over, still warm and humid.

At one corner of the field, grouped together were 4 modellers, no "A" cert, no trainers as they are all on holiday, every one. The only capable modellers to stand in, being Mode 1, where as they are all learning on Mode 2. I really felt for them.

There was one other observation, which was triggered by the Greenacres event and discussion else where on this site. I managed two flights while IC models were being prepared to fly and we all started the preparations together. I was thinking normally it does not matter as today, but at an event such as Greenacres it does, slowing potentially everything down.

As the sky turned to a ominous grey and patches of grey/black, I made my way home.

It had been a good session for me, yet the fate of the bird still haunts me.

Posted by Erfolg on 02/07/2014 18:21:39:

Just ready to go to the field, when there is a significant thud on the French doors in the kitchen. What was that, said my wife. Oh dear, there is a bird on the floor. Examination of the poor creature indicated it was dead. Sadly I buried it in the garden. Rather sad, that on such a nice day, not everything goes well, a rather sobering thought.

Sadly I departed for the field,

As the sky turned to a ominous grey and patches of grey/black, I made my way home.

It had been a good session for me, yet the fate of the bird still haunts me.

Sad event there Erfolg. But I guess the little one's neck was broken or something, so at least it didn't suffer. sad

As I live on a housing estate I have nets up, and I don't have patio doors. Perhaps you live in a more 'countryfied' area. How about installing insect mesh to the glass using clear plastic sucker hooks! Maybe just the top half would suffice. My nets are all installed this way and have a 3mm white fiberglass rod through the pre-formed hole in the suckers. (I did that rather than drilling my new UPVC window frames)

I've managed to get out for the last three Tuesdays, something I haven't done for at least three years. Weather been perfect and had twelve flights with two electric gliders (another new venture) and a very small foamy Cessna type model. Even better I hit the runway with every landing-definitely a first. hope the weather holds as I have a couple of new models to trim out before going to the Brean model holiday is Somerset in September, where for the last few years the majority of my annual flying has been done. Hopefully next year other commitments will allow me more time to get out. Took early retirement 4 years ago with the hope of doing more flying but that didn't work out.

Happy days.laughlaugh

John