Worst movie ever?

Tony Read 2

What do you get if you cross thousands of sharks with tornados? Yep, a movie called Sharknado!

I saw it on Freeview channel 11 last night and it was a blast.

Think how bad a film like that could possibly be and you would not get anywhere close. Actors so wooden they make trees seem like potential Oscar winners. The CGI looked like it could have been done better by a 6 year old with an etch-a-sketch.

The plot, such as it was, had holes bigger than those that sunk the Titanic. Houses flooded up to waist height but it was dry outside. Tornados could be 'killed' with a home made oxygen tank bomb dropped from a helicopter. Sharks could swim under a car when the water could only have been 6 inches deep. Sharks could not only survive being sucked up in a tornado but could also swallow an adult leaning out of in a helicopter. I could go on, but you get the point.

Wherever our hero's went they were chased by those peski sharks. Even on top of a motorway bridge our protagonists were not safe. When an actor says "My mother told me Hollywood would kill me" you know he's due to pick up his actors pay cheque real soon.

It is one of those films that are so bad they are un-missable. It is a true gem. Just remember to take your bar stool and chain saw with you next time you go to the beach.

Advert

I think you've got this Model Aircraft forum confused with a movie forum such as Rotten Tomatoes.com!

I think you're being harsh. A six year old with an etch-a-sketch? It would be difficult for Lucasfilm to make sharks in a tornado look real, never mind deadly, so the CGI efforts were very well done IMO. It's not as if they have anything real to model is it?

Maybe that would be a future project for aeromodellers to try and replicate; a group of flying sharks simulating being stuck in a tornado? Anyone interested?

On an aviation theme, Airport 79/80 (US/UK) The Concorde takes some beating for preposterosity (made up word but I like it!)

Firing a Very Light out of the cockpit to fool a heat seeking missile, out-turning a (privately owned) Phantom and after that severe stressing, thundering into a catch net with failed hydraulics only to have the aircraft fully serviceable the next morning are some "highlights" that come to mind...

Ah, the Redtails. Such a good opportunity to make a good film with a great storyline was ruined, I thought it was awful! A lone Mustang (which was earlier supposedly low on fuel) can apparently cause a battleship to explode with just machine guns. And that's not the worst...

CS

Edited By Concorde Speedbird on 16/07/2014 15:48:04

Have to agree Scott, Tora Tora Tora is a very good film, until I visited Pearl Harbour a couple of years ago I did not know accurate some of it was, by no means all but no film I can think of is 100% to the letter as they have to entertain not serve the anoraks like myself but I do hate it when they can't get the basics right.

Flyboys: The most inaccurate, disrespectful and saddest waste of an opportunity to tell a great story. Nearly every German aircraft a red Fokker Triplane apparently with turbocharged engines and stressed metal wings. A load of sentimental rubbish and an insult to the Escadrille Lafayette.

'hope I'm not sitting on the fence here, I do like a good rant!

(Agreed on Pearl Harbour v Tora Tora Tora)

David

Posted by Neil Powell on 16/07/2014 15:41:08:

Redtails. I thought it was really naff. Looking forward to the remake of the Dambusters though!

I don't know if I am, there is no doubt the special effects can be improve a lot and we can have it in colour but there is no way to better the performance of Richard Todd and Michael Redgrave as Gibson and Wallis. I think the reason actors of that time gave good performance of military types was because they to had also served.

Posted by John F on 16/07/2014 14:22:21:

I think you've got this Model Aircraft forum confused with a movie forum such as Rotten Tomatoes.com!

Hi John,

I thought chit-chat was for anything off topic? Anyway, it does have a very shaky helicopter flying sequence so includes a flying theme. wink 2

Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did!

Hello Tony Read 2 , I love good movies and the Seventh Art in general. An advertising clips for this film (garbage), I saw on CineStarTV,few months ago and I expressed disapproval, and asked how they can create such films ,and are there a people who watch them?
My wife told me that I was naive, as usual, and that this film made a good financial outcome on the Hollywood Box office even...etcembarrassed...angry 2

What a shame !! smile o

Cheers

Jo

Asylum Films, who do 'Mockbusters', such as Titanic II, Mega Piranah, and so on, only have $1,000,000 budget, but the film directors do it for a hobby - nothing serious, and all the films they've made all have broken into profit, even when it's such a silly film, but considering the budget surprising how they do it.

Most of the actors are usually has-been actors, some just volunteer just to be in an Asylum film, because it's not taken seriously. They've now done over 160 films, all made a profit - so must be doing something right...

The worst film I reckon is Battlefield Earth. Cost loads to make, totally bombed at the cinema and supposed to have a sequel. Suffice to say that was shelved.

The worse financial disaster film ever made was Cutthroat Island. Cost $148m and only took $18m total, and put the film company Corolco (of Terminator II Fame) into bankruptcy and also finished the career of the actors off.

I agree wholeheartedly TB.

I could not work out whether it was deliberately made so bad in order to appeal to a cult audience, or whether they were trying to make the best of what they had. Maybe from what PM says its the latter.

The good news is that its back on in a couple of days time!

The next one I want to see is Sharktopus. Yes, you guessed, a cross between a shark and an octopus!

Ah, yes Concorde, that was a stinker!

Edited By Tony Read on 16/07/2014 21:17:13