I.c. or electric/silent - what do you mainly fly?

Advert

I use to have gliders and i/c but they are too messy so electric for me and to be fair less mess and less hassle and you can bring them inside without the wife moaning about the mess too and thats got to be good. Another very good ponit is noise as we live in a world where people are quick to complain about noise levels and this is where electric is in the lead because at our strip i/c are not allowed

Interesting. At the time of my vote only and mainly for IC and electric/silent were neck and neck. Seeing that electric / silent also covers gliders, balloons, CO2 etc there is a lot of competition. It would seem though that there is still a very healthy number of us petrol heads. I voted 50/50 as that was the closest option for my desire to try everything. What about a PSS helicopter? Is that possible yet?

I don't agree that silent and electric belong in the same category. Ducted fans in particular can be quite loud as I have experienced when flying around with a 4stroke and been unable to hear it above the ducted fan flying at the same time.

I'm not complaining about the noise level of one over the other just making the point that modern electric flight can longer be presumed to be quiet or quieter than I/c.

It's also the case that there has been a of lot interest in sloping recently and if that continues then the Electric/Silent category could well be larger in a year or two but will it not be reliable for judging what is really happening. I don't disagree with the poll in principle I just don't think that categorised as it is that it has any future value.

I'm probably about 75% I/C, 20% electric and 5% silent .

To give my comment to the above discussion: Especially hot-liners are sometimes everything but silent

Otherwise an easy task for me as I currently have only one working IC model, all the rest is electric. But 2 more IC engines are waiting to be put into their planes. This will still not change it, I stay with mainly electric.

VA

Hey All

Flicking through the magazines which I get from UK and the states, the stats would suggest the target audience to be 99% electric!. It is getting a bit dull IMO. I like to see a bit of everything, even if it is not my cup of tea.

I personally fly all sorts and enjoy them all, big IC, small IC, large electric, small electric, sailplanes, heli's. The ARFT electric revolution has been positive in many respects but doesn't reflect the profile which I am seeing on the field and represented in the magazines.

Will be interested how the poll comes out.

Posted by Vecchio Austriaco on 24/11/2014 15:26:22:

Especially hot-liners are sometimes everything but silent

........VA

I have to admit that my F5B models can sometimes be very noisy, but since i only use 2 second motor runs it's not usually a problem.

As I only use 30 seconds total motor run for the 800 second competition flights, I suppose I am 3.75% electric and 96.25% silent smiley.

Dick

Edited By Dickw on 24/11/2014 15:39:10

Posted by Dickw on 24/11/2014 15:38:16:
Posted by Vecchio Austriaco on 24/11/2014 15:26:22:

Especially hot-liners are sometimes everything but silent

........VA

I have to admit that my F5B models can sometimes be very noisy, but since i only use 2 second motor runs it's not usually a problem.

As I only use 30 seconds total motor run for the 800 second competition flights, I suppose I am 3.75% electric and 96.25% silent smiley.

Dick

Edited By Dickw on 24/11/2014 15:39:10

Naah you are 3.75% electric 96.25% Deadstick cheeky