I.c. or electric/silent - what do you mainly fly?

Advert

What started out as a survey has become another i/c vs electric debate. It really comes down to whether you like engines or not. I've watched people twiddling with them, blowing into fuel tubes, dead sticking into the long grass all accompanied by much cursing. Can't be bothered with any of it, happy to just plug in a battery and fly, I don't get the 'soul' thing at all. The only soulless planes are those that never fly. I like to return home with clean planes, clean car and clean hands. We're all different I suppose.

I love the sound of engines...mind you I was stripping and tinkering with lawnmower engines at the age of 12/13.

I think IC reliability depends on some simple rules

1. Keep fuel as clean as you can, don't drop the fuelling line onto the ground after filling up ,ever
  2. Only take the fuel to the field you need
  3. Don't over lean engines
  4. Change plugs every few months
  5. Filter the fuel several times as it goes in the tank

That doesn't make it better or worse than electric..I've seen some bad li-po battery fires and charging failures.

It's sad how some ic power fliers always feel the need to defend their choice by trying to portray electric power as difficult, soulless, boring etc. Perhaps its simply a feeling of insecurity as they see how successful electric powered models can be & they don't want to admit the possibility, that in practical terms, their choice of motive power could be the less attractive to the majority of modellers.

Personaly after 50 something years of flying ic models I found electric power more convenient than ic & as a bonus found it much more practical as a method of launching previously un-powered thermal gliders than any other.

Until recently I've been IC only, only started serious flying 5 years ago and I've just purchased my first electric flight but it's a glider in the form of a Diamond 1800.

Considering more electric wise but just to keep me flying until I either repair my rocket or replace it.

Also chucking an Hubsan quad about, good fun even tho it's mode 2.

Edited By Steve Ashton on 25/11/2014 21:45:50

Posted by PatMc on 25/11/2014 21:26:02:

It's sad how some ic power fliers always feel the need to defend their choice by trying to portray electric power as difficult, soulless, boring etc. Perhaps its simply a feeling of insecurity as they see how successful electric powered models can be & they don't want to admit the possibility, that in practical terms, their choice of motive power could be the less attractive to the majority of modellers.

Personaly after 50 something years of flying ic models I found electric power more convenient than ic & as a bonus found it much more practical as a method of launching previously un-powered thermal gliders than any other.

Pat, I'm equally saddened by being told by many posters that my preference (on balance) for operating an engine powered model is wrong. I don't preach to electric only flyers but I do know that while I often enjoy the convenience of electric flight, my most satisfying flying is with IC engined models. As to admitting that IC is less attractive than EP to any number of modellers, why on earth would that bother me? Is there a battle between IC and EP flyers? Not in my club - our common interest is model flying.

Edited By Martin Harris on 25/11/2014 21:48:54

How about a poll of what people prefer to spend their free time doing:

• Flying radio controlled aeroplanes
  • Building radio controlled aeroplanes
  • Pointlessly trying to defend your preference of powering radio controlled aeroplanes whilst shunning alternative methods of propulsion, even though it doesn't really matter since they all work brilliantly and as long as you are enjoying it, who cares?
  • Knitting

cheeky

CS (And yes, I have been one of those who has done point three in the past and I regret it and shall not do so again, model flying is fun however you do it!)

I don't see it as a battle in any sense of the word, there is a huge difference between a battle and banter, and there is ample room in the hobby for IC, Leccy, Rubber, Co2, Gliders and anything else that takes to the air...

The poll is showing about 60% of folks actually operate both forms to some degree or other anyway

But as a returnee to aeromodelling having spend a good number of years tinkering with boats where leccy has been the vast majority of power sources for years I find it quite interesting how the take up of "new technology" has revolutionised the hobby and (as I see it) invigorated it

As with most things in life nothing is perfect (apart from SWMBO I am informed) and each power system has its advantages and drawbacks..... at the end of the day it doesnt matter a dam as long as you have fun and fly safe

Posted by PatMc on 25/11/2014 21:58:18:

Martin, I'm comfortable with whatever people choose. Can't say I've ever noticed anyone preaching that ic is wrong.

In fact any preaching seems to be that ic is the only true way.

I think that may have been the case in the past but it's exceptionally rare nowadays in my experience. One or two modellers have failed to grasp the intricacies of balancing motor winds/propellers/cell counts/power dissipation capabilities to keep the smoke in the system while providing adequate power and will remain firmly IC only flyers but usually fellow club members or forumites will be more than willing to assist those who struggle. Of course, on the other hand there are those who don't enjoy the process of coaxing engines into life and tuning them for performance and reliability, which others find so rewarding. Neither view is wrong in any way and many of us have a foot in both camps.

This thread seems refreshingly balanced in the main - not always the case though and possibly a backlash to some of the attitudes during EP's rather anaemic earlier days!

Anyway, I think we're agreed that we should celebrate the differences and enjoy our flying however we power our models.

Regardless of all the benefits and beauty of the i.c.-driven models, most of us have a problem with the storage and holding such models ,difficulties in buying fuel and new rules over noise....sad
Three years just fly electro and I must admit that it provides a greater comfort,ability to more easily use  a FPV's and less complaints from family members....angel
Once ,my dear Vecchio Austriaco said that the electro commitment brings clean car and peace in the house, among other things..... and He was rightface 1

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 29/11/2014 18:31:10

• 2 weeks later...

The situation is not what I expected, electrics, getting to a 50% predominantly or fully electric ! Leaving a 30% IC predominantly.

I would guess that electric powered models have moved from a minority interest, to a significant player in possibly 10 years. Almost certainly made possible by both the Brushless Motor and Lipo battries.

Perhaps another underlying aspect, has been the arrival of the rtf and artf foam model. Ideally suited to electric power.

All these things put together in a single package has produced the small, ready to go, at the drop of a hat, throw into the boot, no field box necessary, in theory, or not as comprehensive as with IC. electric powered model.

I now wonder, is this the maximum penetration by electric models, a high water mark, before a resurgent IC again challenges, or will the electric revolution continue remorselessly onward, for the foreseeable future. Then again nothing remains at the top of th pile indefinitely.

I'm all electric and I seem to cart around as much dam weight in kit as the IC flyers! perhaps its just that I like to have everything I might need......

As for an Electric High Water Mark, I really don't think so, the development of IC will be a slow evolutionary process as far as I can see, but electrics will see continued revolutions in capability - predominately in the battery area (being driven by the requirements of the Smartphone/Laptop and automotive industries with multi-million research budgets which will (eventually) filter down to us

The ever increasing sensitivity to noise will impact IC far more than electric (I don't count them as silent, they are not) and some flying sites will come under pressure from the IC perspective

I hope there will always be a proportion of IC flyers (I actually like the noise, but for the sake of domestic bliss (Ha!) I stay all electric.. )

But I think electric will max out as something like 75% of the hobby in the long term