Has the world gone Mad !!

cymaz

I wish to register a complaint...

Has the world gone so mad as to want to go shopping on Boxing Day....

GIVE IT A REST

I am soooo fed up with adverts that say "sale starts Boxing Day 9am".

Amazon sale begins 4pm Christmas Day.

The worlds gone mad teeth I tell you, mad

Advert

I do Christmas, I love it. But to have shops open Boxing day. It's just insane now there is Sunday trading.

Give it a few years and they will be open 10-4 Christmas as well.

We have freezers, fridges,can food, packet. Just no need for 2/3 days of the year, its not that Christmas and New Year change dates every yearangry

I agree Cymaz - I like Christmas too. I feel really sorry for all the poor souls that have to work boxing day - or even Christmas day - not because its necessary (i.e. emergency services etc.) but simply because some greedy company can't stand the thought of not "turning a buck" for a couple of days! And as for those who fuel this by going and buying? Well "get a life" springs to mind I'm afraid. In my opinion it wouldn't hurt any of us to take a few days off the consumer merry-go-round!

BEB

Go for a long walk, feed the ducks, see a lonely neighbour, take a kid in a wheelchair out so the parents can have a break

Anything except buy a comfy sofa. ( my apologies mods- chastise me if you see fit)

(Howzat, Cymaz?wink 2)

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 24/12/2014 23:01:40

As well as Boxing Day sales the BBC news this evening was reporting that on line sales on Christmas Day are expected to set a new record this year with 100's of millions of £'s being spent on line .... on Christmas Day !!!

Certainly not something I'll be doing but it sounds as though the Christmas morning sherry will cause many of our fellow citizens to go on line and get busy with their on-line shopping baskets.

As for Boxing Day we'll be off to the pantomime ... oh yes we will !!!

Edited By avtur on 25/12/2014 02:15:22

Happy Christmas, All, but I have to say:-

1. Nobody is forcing you to go shopping

2. Nobody is forcing you to watch or listen to Adverts

For goodness sake, and for your own health, tune out, drop out, do your own thing, and be glad that while the world and his wife are in the shops, the places YOU want to go are less crowded.

Dave (Heading for a Slope on Boxing Day)

As pointed out the Boxing Day sales are hardly a recent thing, and some retailers will be desperate for the business. It wouldn't be Christmas without a DFS sale, would it? Those are rare, memorable events in the calendar.

The forecast yesterday was for perfect conditions on Boxing Day, but it looks like they were a day out - it's gorgeous here today, but forecast for tomorrow is not so good.

Merry Christmas everyone - hope that you get to enjoy it in a manner of your choosing.

As for Christmas working. Don't forget those who keep our lights on and gas flowing, they give up their Christmas so we can have ours in comfort. Many industrial processes cannot be just switched off either, it's not a case of turning a buck, just that some processes once stopped will take days or weeks to restart (been there, done that).

Shaunie.

I recall, back in the '60s when even single channel gear cost a couple of weeks' wages working over the Christmas holiday (double time and time in lieu or an extra days wages instead - i.e., triple time). I got myself a latish Christmas prezzie of a Futaba single channel tx, rx and servo from that I was a TV service engineer for a rental firm and repaired 'dead' sets in situ (so that the punters didn't miss out on their programmes).

I also ended up with the equivalent of half a week's wages in tips (plus a lot of cans of beer wink)

I recall, back in the '60s when even single channel gear cost a couple of weeks' wages working over the Christmas holiday (double time and time in lieu or an extra days wages instead - i.e., triple time). I got myself a latish Christmas prezzie of a Futaba single channel tx, rx and servo from that.  I was a TV service engineer for a rental firm and repaired 'dead' sets in situ (so that the punters didn't miss out on their programmes).

I also ended up with the equivalent of half a week's wages in tips (plus a lot of cans of beer wink)

Edited By Daithi O Buitigh on 26/12/2014 01:06:12

Posted by Percy Verance on 26/12/2014 09:42:26:

Well I'd love to stop and chat, but I'm off to buy a new sofa from DFS. They opened at 9'o clock today ya know...........wink 2

Has anybody ever seen a DFS shop on a day when they weren't having a sale?

Seems to me that "DFS Sale" = normal day, and "DFS not a Sale" = errr, maybe Christmas Day when they aren't open anyway? thinking