Building Buddy for RCM&E readers.

Many years ago, Radio Modeller gave this away in each magazine. Since then, nothing is available, or the freebee repeated since. I reckon RCM&E should do a free gift on their issue and a building topic.

Would tie in with the building season, and is a handy tool for taking to model shops when buying wood and checking sizes of Piano wire, etc.

What do you say?

Building Buddy

Edited By Paul Marsh on 24/01/2015 08:58:57

Advert

The gauge for sizing balsa for me please, most of the time my local model shop ends up with balsa mixed up due to customers putting back in the wrong bin, but the shop can never find their gauge, I keep meaning to get one, eh? Same for swg, guessing is not a good idea!

Edited By Steve T on 24/01/2015 12:09:11

I think free plans of reasonable size models are better than plastic giveaways. More interesting and saves more when plans cost around 12 to 17 pounds. It makes the difference between buying one magazine or it's rival. Note that just this month the one magazine that didnt give a free full size plan each month has published it's last issue! (

So keep publishing free plans RCME

Sorry KC but I find the free plans end up lining the kitty litter by and large - nothing wrong with the designs, just not very often get tempted by one. I still have both the square with the thickness gauge and the 'rib tickler' (really?) and have had a lot of use out of them over the years. Other give-aways that I found useful were fuel pipe clips, control horns and ball links.

How about plastic wingtip/tail 'bumpers' - the small buffers that save the surface if you drag a tip or tail on landing?

I do seem to remember complaints at the time that these freebies were prone to getting separated from the mag and made packaging for mailing awkward,

My plastic "givaway" is more useful than most plans. After all, if you build from plans, these aids help loads and make building easier and better.

Just been to SWM and some wood was mixed up, and managed to sort out 1/8 sq from 1/4 sq.echo what Steve T said about mixed balsa piles...

The "free" plans are an intrinsi part of the magazine and a considerable reason for purchasing a print magazine in the first place, plus they are a major earner for the publisher, with the advent of CNC cut wood packs, so that;s a given and hopefully will remain so.

The useful free gifts have their place too - I use that Rib tickler front cover freebie , but the balsa thickness gauge and SWG gauge looks a very useful addition and would be a good thing to find as a freebie on the front cover. Haven't had my Feb 2015 issue of RCM&E yet, either.

Posted by kc on 24/01/2015 13:05:25:

I think free plans of reasonable size models are better than plastic giveaways. More interesting and saves more when plans cost around 12 to 17 pounds. It makes the difference between buying one magazine or it's rival. Note that just this month the one magazine that didnt give a free full size plan each month has published it's last issue! (

So keep publishing free plans RCME

Which magazine finished kc?

Andrew

Model Flyer - the issue currently on the shelf at WH Smith says it's the last one and that in future they will only publish a revised Aeromodeller and also Flying Scale Models. All their plans including Aviation Modeller Int old plans will still be available.

Have you noticed that when Boddo was editor of  in turn RC Scale, RM, RCME, AMI. MF. FSM  each magazine was at it's prime (i.e  had the most worthwhile technical articles, best free plan etc and no padding)   When he moved on each declined in my view.  It seems Boddo had the knack of getting good technical articles by all sorts of experts and didnt rely on regular columnists.   Lets hope Andrew Boddington has inherited that knack and revives Aeromodeller.

I reckon Bob Cotsford must be in a minority who throw away the free plans!   I still think they are the reason for buying any issue over the rivals - good free plan from Peter Miller etc  is worth buying the mag. 

Edited By kc on 24/01/2015 18:24:10

Posted by John Tee on 24/01/2015 19:31:43:

Strip balsa isn't too hard to estimate the size of in the common sizes used by us and most sheet material that I have bought has the size stamped on it.

John

Not always. My wood had no details on it, so you would have to check/ 1/8 is very close to 3/32. Also, I don't guess, I check first!!! nerd

Remember the British Airways Flight 5390, where the tech replaced the front screen and guessed the size of bolts to replace the ones he took out. Looked the same type, didn't follow procedure and the pressure blew the thread off, taking the screen and the Captain got sucked out of the cockpit, luckily the engineer grabbed his legs, but was left dangling outside until they got down. He did survive, but the tech's career didn't.

Posted by kc on 24/01/2015 17:58:53:

Model Flyer - the issue currently on the shelf at WH Smith says it's the last one and that in future they will only publish a revised Aeromodeller and also Flying Scale Models. All their plans including Aviation Modeller Int old plans will still be available.

Have you noticed that when Boddo was editor of in turn RC Scale, RM, RCME, AMI. MF. FSM each magazine was at it's prime (i.e had the most worthwhile technical articles, best free plan etc and no padding) When he moved on each declined in my view. It seems Boddo had the knack of getting good technical articles by all sorts of experts and didnt rely on regular columnists. Lets hope Andrew Boddington has inherited that knack and revives Aeromodeller.

I reckon Bob Cotsford must be in a minority who throw away the free plans! I still think they are the reason for buying any issue over the rivals - good free plan from Peter Miller etc is worth buying the mag.

Edited By kc on 24/01/2015 18:24:10

Thanks kc

I havn't bought that magazine for some time....sad to see it's going but i think you are quite correct in your analysis regarding the success of all the mags during Boddo's editorship. I take Bob's point on unwanted plans but i keep them as from time to time i revise my opinion of a plan that i didn't like when first published.

Andrew

I agree with KC, the older mags certainly seemed to have had more appeal / better articles, maybe I'm getting older, but free plans don't cut the mustard for me, think I've said it before in another post but I don't buy mags anymore, yes I go into WHS and flick through all the current issues and I will buy one just for one article if necessary, but these days magazines are a all round compilation of the various disciplines within our hobby, obviously to appeal to the wider audience too sell more copies, but couldn't we have a mag dedicated too i/c models, preferable built up scale, with " how to" " home made" articles. After all there's Jets,& electric have there own publications.

so reading KC' s post, is Aeromodeller , FSM & model flyer going to be compiled into one magazine ?? as that seems to be what is implied.

Edited By gillyg1 on 24/01/2015 21:32:47

Stevo.....the reason the batteries don't last in digital calipers is usually because the wrong type is fitted....needs Silver Oxide = SR44. That's what someone told me and it seems correct.

Gillyg1..... No, there will be two magazines as I understand it. Flying Scale Models continues while Model Flyer goes into a revised Aeromodeller. From my point of view as an RC modeller who is not interested in free flight or controlline it would have to be a much better Aeromodeller with mostly RC to attract me to buy. However I hope Boddo junior does as good a job as his dad.

Half the fun of aeromodelling is looking at all the plans and seeing the details just to get ideas even if you are not building the model. ( I suppose it's 'armchair modelling' ) So free plans are just great.  And having the plans to hand when anybody asks questions here on the forum is very helpful.

Edited By kc on 25/01/2015 16:46:44

Oh I've tried 'em all Keith!

I had two calipers, NOT cheap ones, and the battery ran out - I had to replace them around every three months or so. The final straw was when they gave me some random numbers irrespective of what position they were in.

In the bin. Got some old fashioned dial type from Axminster. Much more reliable !

Presumably some clever person could fit digital calipers with a solar cell just like the one in the calculator Stevo will use to convert his metric to imperial when he uses his dial calipers! ( what a pity you have already thrown the digi calipers away Stevo - that could have been your next astounding project! )

There is no substitute for having 'Mandraulic' tools available though.