Giant Shark - what's happening?

I went to order some parts over the weekend from Giant Shark and they were 'out of stock'. A glance through various sections showed well over half the items as 'out of stock'. Now the only reason I can think as to why so many items are unavailable is that they're closing down and getting rid of all stock first.

Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Advert

I could accept that if, say, a quarter of the stock was that way - but this is well over 50% and appears to be climbing. They also seem to have quite a bit of stuff listed at what can be best described as 'clearance' prices (well under what you would normally expect to pay). I mean - a FlySky 9X and the receiver for 19 quid???? (and that was in stock up until the weekend at that price when a friend of mine bought the last three)

It's been a recurring theme ever since MHS took them over.

Every now and again somebody from GS will pop up and "reassure" us that all is well, and that a large order has been placed to replenish the stocks. What never seems to be answered is why the "large order" wasn't placed long before the stocks ran out.

Meanwhile the "conspiracy theorists" suggest that they were only taken over with a view to killing them off. But if that were the case surely it would have happened a lot quicker! I don't remember the last time I bought anything from them...

It happened before. Stocks ran out on many items and continued so for several months. Suddenly they restocked on most items (generally higher prices though) and the service was fine again. We'll just have to wait and see. It does seem an odd stocking policy though, with shipping and customs delays to timescale

Tried to buy some stuff from them yesterday, they had some great prices on smallish brushless motors, edf units and tiny sevos. All went well until I tried to pay! Tried PayPal first, ..... There was a problem with your transaction, you have not been charged.. came up. Tried 3 times, then tried to pay with my credit card. Each time i tried it got as far as the screen where a check is run on your card, then it would not progress from there. By this time it was too late to phone them to see whats going on.

Andy G - I had that problem. I found that the first payment had been processed by PP, which then rejected subsequent attempts for identical payments.

It was sorted out and the GS staff were very helpful. Quite impressed really

Like most here though, I would use them more if they had decent stock levels

Martyn

FrSky Taranis X9D Plus TX for 64 QUID!

Surely too good to be true, so I phoned them.

It was out of stock, and their guy said that stuff that was out of stock would almost certainly NEVER be stocked again. They are actively reducing their inventory to "save warehouse space".

There are still some mega-cheap stuff on their site, but I think waiting around to see if things come back into stock is a waste of time.

Get it cheap while you can...!

Well... I phoned them this morning and spoke to a very helpful guy. I explained that the site had declined every tyoe of payment I had offered and he suggested maybe something had gone out of stock whilst it was in my basket ( i had ordered quite a list of things as it was stupidly cheap!), I said that nothing had come up to say this had happened so we went through all the items over the phone all of which were in stock, so I ordered them there and then without any problem.... 4 edf fan units, 4 outrunners, 2 inrunners and 10 servos for the princely sum of £32.00 including postage!!!! Get while they're hot! ..

I have joined the throng, it is a me to.

I have purchased 3 rolls of covering.

There does seem to be an issue, the lack of apparent structure to the site.

On the positive side, there does appear to be more in stock than previously with GS.

On the negative side, GS had dropped of my radar as a lost cause, not one of my first ports of call.

Again being positive i do buy lots of small stuff, as a builder, with HK the UK depot has very little of this stuff, the International store is 14 days away. I will once again go to GS, as a starting point.

A few months ago, I was toying with the idea of buying this 3kw motor for my still boxed F3A 2m Vanquish to run on 12 cells using my existing 6 cell 5000Ah batteries. Price then was about £60.

I had another look today as a result of reading this thread. Got it for £32.60 less the loyalty points I had saved up. Has to be worth a punt at that silly price.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 06/05/2015 20:50:26

I spent a small fortune with them yesterday, but then I must have ordered enough stuff to have a stall at wings and wheels! Included in my order was a 500 size electric RTF heli with carbon frame complete with servos, gyro, esc, tx , rx, 6s lipo, charger for only £83!

Edited By chris larkins on 06/05/2015 21:07:18

Just been and had a look, prompted by the latest postings in this thread.

There's certainly some crazy prices on there now - some of them are even on items that are in stock! I've just spent under £30 on a 450 heli plus motor.

I'd have had a few other bits and pieces too if they'd been in stock. For instance FrSky X-series receivers at just about half the price elsewhere - but no stock...

I think like other resellers they only re-price their stock as it arrives in (IF it arrives in!), hence the VERY cheap OOS items.

The Heli's are a different matter. Unless the situation has changed a lot, the GS Heli's are down specced quite a lot on HK sourced models, significantly less. As a example, on the 500 the rear tail shaft bearings were just pressed/glued into the thin frame. There was NO boss to give a decent contact surface.

As another example, the frames were very crudely cut rough edged carbon.

As another example, the servo mounts were very poor in design and difficult to assemble.

I'm not saying they are no good, but they certainly were less well designed and constructed, not just well made.

I have four 500's and three are GC (GS) sourced. The fourth 500, HK CMT, is infinitely better designed and made for not that much more money.

The GC (GS) ones have all had some parts modified and the odd part replaced in build. One tail unit was so poorly made with fits that were unacceptably bad so it was immediately replaced with an Align part, and that shows HOW bad it was as normally I would not buy Align on principle..............

Corrected, all these Helis have stayed the course and given decent service. (as have the two 250s and the two 450s.)