June 2015 issue feedback and some changes at RCM&E

As far as I am aware, Hobbyking is an internet only business and doesn't advertise in other areas.

No advertising budget = lower prices. thumbs up

Just bought a 1400mm span trainer which only needs a receiver and lipo to fly. Price £47.00 including postage !!!

Edited By kevin b on 13/05/2015 14:16:27

Advert

Well this is a shock ,

I have been buying the RCM&E for as long as i can remember and although i have only seen Graham a couple of times he has always been patient , polite and professional throughout .

What a Gent .Good luck in youre new job Graham thumbs up.

And Welcome to the helm David

Steve

Hi, I'd like to wish Graham all the best for the future following the news of his leaving RCM+E as the editor and to thank him for the help and encouragement he has given me since taking over the Funfighters. Also I'd like to thank Liam Swarbrick for his review of the Kawasaki Hein.

Finally I look forward to reading the magazine under the leadership of David and wonder what is in store for us all.

Daren Graham.

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 14/05/2015 15:25:49

Just like to wish Graham a long and happy retirement in the Golden Years Home for the Chronically Confused.

Like most of the other contributors to this fine and august comic, I was bullied, intimidated and threatened by Graham until I had no choice but to take the job as erstwhile scribbler and smudger. I'm hoping that life will be easier now.

Tim

My June issue arrived today, once again there's a lot of fascinating stuff to absorb. I'm particularly pleased to see the excellent three view drawing of the beautiful Comper Swift and to read that this is the first of many more to come. Will the Arrow Active be one of those? Modelling is part of my life-long fascination with aeroplanes and a feature on a full-size plane with a high quality three-view was one of my favourite reads in Aeromodeller for many years. I hope that this will continue to be a feature of RCME and perhaps associated with another on a model design of that subject on some occasions.

Graham Ashby says goodbye in the editorial and it's good to see that he will still be working in our hobby. Also it's great to see Stephen Jones' fantastic Sipa Minijet design featured as a free plan. The full-size original interested me when a kid and I'd never forgotten it, so I was overjoyed to see Steve's fascination with it translated into this super model at Greenacres, it's going to be popular, I'm sure.

My interest in this hobby never wanes, RCME plays a big part in feeding my continued desire to learn more and read about the achievements of some of our colleagues that I will never be able to emulate but remain inspired by.

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 14/05/2015 22:28:43

My issue also arrived today and the magazine keeps up the excellent standard of interesting and informative articles. Well done to the editorial team, the columnists, contributors and all involved with the production and here's hoping for a seamless transition.

Reference HobbyKing:- HobbyKing do advertise as they did several years ago In RCM&E. Since when they have been my main supplier.

I suspect the policy of Not reviewing their products is done by agreement with the magazines UK advertisers to protect their own interests,

As well as RCM&E, I also subsribe to FlyRC, a mag. Hobbyking run regular ads in the mag, plus you will see many reviews of HobbyKing in the mag.

Had a quick skim of this months issue over breakfast this morning, I was really pleased to see the the 3 view drawings feature, the Comper Swift is a potential model on my build list so even better.

I hope that this idea runs and runs, I would like to build up a nice collection of these.

Edited By david fillingham 1 on 15/05/2015 15:15:28

Bad News - Good News!

Bad News, we've lost a crackin' good Editor. 😱

Good News, the new Editor has the same Ashby DNA. 😀

Graham, thanks for hours of interesting reading over the years. You made RCM&E the only magazine worth paying an annual subscription for, never a disappointment. I feel a bit sorry for David though, you're going to be hard act to follow.

Posted by Robert Putley 1 on 15/05/2015 14:52:04:

Reference HobbyKing:- HobbyKing do advertise as they did several years ago In RCM&E. Since when they have been my main supplier.

I suspect the policy of Not reviewing their products is done by agreement with the magazines UK advertisers to protect their own interests,

As well as RCM&E, I also subsribe to FlyRC, a mag. Hobbyking run regular ads in the mag, plus you will see many reviews of HobbyKing in the mag.

Thanks for that Robert. I don't mind being corrected. It's interesting though, that FlyRC only has 2 advertisers on its website. Hobbyking and Hobbico. I also use Hobbyking and have had some good deals from them. Some of the cheap stuff is cheap, but they are helping keep prices down in the hobby and that in itself is no bad thing.

Graham has a lot to be proud of with respect to RCM&E. He and his team has managed to place the magazine firmly in 1st. place in the UK. Many other magazines have failed during this period, RCM in the USA, whilst in the UK titles have amalgamated, some contracting other magazines failing completely. Quite an achievement in a publishing industry seeing many changes. One of my relations, closing their publishing arm to their business, as the business has become so very competitive with low margins.

Perhaps one of the overriding impressions has been the effort put into keeping in contact with the readerships interests and developments in the market place. It is possibly this aspect has kept the magazine relevant to the readership.

I am sure that there have been difficulties, in a market where the number of distributors seems to be reducing. Then there is the issue that the retail outlets have been decimated. The market has become totally dominated by foreign made ARTF models. On this basis I can only imagine that the number of products submitted for review is not as extensive as in the past.

Then there is the issue that modelling is not the boom industry of the 50s and 60s, at best matured at worst a niche hobby.

All in all a magnificent job undertaken most effectively in some of the most difficult of times.

My only complaint are the front covers, always one model in a similar pose. But if people and scenes were incorporated, what would I complain about. If the older style covers were ever to return, my wife would tut tut. But then again i have been known to paste brown paper patches on the magazine covers my wife has purchased, where gratuitous pictures of semi nude men have offended my sensibilities, strangely she has not been amused, as these are different..

All the best for the future Graham

Edited By Erfolg on 17/05/2015 17:17:01