engineering toys?

Phil 9

Advert

I was not exposed to Lego as a kid. However I did have access to a certain amount of Meccano.

Building with Meccano really does give you an idea of structures and strengths.

I never found the same thing later when I met Lego. With Lego you could make things the rightish shape, but the structural integrity of the result did not match that of the structure being modelled.

However Meccano now seems to have gone the same way as Lego, and is selling kits that make one or two specific models, rather that allowing imagination to guide the builder.

So, if you can find, perhaps at an auction, a nice big box of old Meccano, that is my recommendation.

Plummet

"Mamod stationary engine. I still have mine. Also have the traction engine...still in the original box. It cost me £12, when I were a lad..."

I'll give you £15

My dad got me an electronics lab when I was 11, (my grandad also got me the same Mamod engine, Cymaz) I was converted there and then. I was using Meccano at 5yrs...

Knex, Lego into Lego technic, anda good few sessions in the workshop may do the trick. Get him to use the full size equipment, under supervision of course - (H&S brigade - no comment) My dad taught me the basics of wood turning when I was 7.

I think you're wasting your time and money Philwink

My son is 12 and is just that generation, you have to let them do their thing. It's not all bad, he still plays Sunday league football, and he even bought a drone with his birthday money - no pressure from me!

We all had Lego and Mecano because we didn't have Xbox's 😜

There are some people who like moving balls round in difficult ways. There are some who like staring at a screen. There are some who like to buy things ready to use But best,there are some who like making things.

They all have their points but at least those who like making things tend to be able to fix things which does save some money. and time.

Posted by Peter Miller on 02/10/2015 21:40:59:

There are some people who like moving balls round in difficult ways. There are some who like staring at a screen. There are some who like to buy things ready to use But best,there are some who like making things.

They all have their points but at least those who like making things tend to be able to fix things which does save some money. and time.

True (and I am a fixer/diyer) , but a lot of those who aren't spend their time making more money and can pay others to do the fixing 😉

Edited By Rich2 on 03/10/2015 22:28:00

Posted by Phil 9 on 01/10/2015 21:12:08:

Just bought this on ebay. maybe more for me than the boywink

well the engine arrives and it runs ok and my lad is fascinated with it and so am I

I bought this one because it was cheap but it is in very poor condition. it has been badly repainted in non heat resistant paint and the filler plug has been glued on with some form of putty with who knows what damage underneath, I would love to fix it up but I am not sure if it is worth the expense.

thanks for the link

I worry is dismantling it will not be straight forward The main pipe is soldered onto the boiler. The putty is covering the safety valve insert hole and the insert is rolling around inside the boiler I do risk destroying it buy trying to get it apart. It would be nice if I could smarten it up though