New Laser engines. What do you want?

Jon H

Posted by Aldo Rebsamen on 09/12/2017 21:29:23:

Hello Jon,

earlier in this thread there was some discussion about larger mufflers. Since we also have noise problems, I would love to see some way to reduce noise. Do you have some bigger mufflers in the pipeline, or does it not help? Running older 150, 200v and 360v.

Thanks for doing these great engines, Aldo

Hi Aldo

I have not really looked into this yet as its not as simple as just adding a larger can. it is something we are going to have to get into at some point though.

In the short term, most of the noise measured on the ground is from the propeller. Make sure you choose a good quality prop like apc with narrower tips to keep that noise down.

Once some of the other stuff is sorted out I would like to look at the exhausts

Advert

Question for you Jon, I'm still stripping the two engines down but undecided if I should remove the piston small end. Is there a lube hole in the top of the con rod ? Everything else looks good apart from the bearing nearest the prop which is stuck fast on one engine. All the parts were stuck with crap and the cam followers needed heat and brake fluid treatment to free off.

If the little end is free and smooth the do not worry. It has no oil hole so just make sure its well oiled and it will be ok.

While its apart you might as well change both the main bearings as you will only have to go back in if the rear packs up after a few months

yup, 2 crank bearings and one for the pinion drive. They are 608 open or 2z for the pinion, 608-2rs for the front with its rear seal removed, and 6001 open for the main.

O rings are no problem for the carb stub and pushrod tubes but i cant supply anything for the ST carb any more.

Very interesting to read the last few pages. While I know Jon must get tired of what feels like repeating it is a great help and insight into the Laser way of doing things.

As the only Laser owner in our club I have to fend off all the old needle twisters and let them tell me how I'm doing it wrong.... I've gotten so I just agree verbally with them and do what Jon tells me.

I've used this thread as a resource to bring one of our engine gurus up to speed and all things Laser and he and I keep the others at bay. Since Walt is a known top notch engine tuner at the field in real life. Other flyers don't bother me now. They see Walt backing me up and leave me alone.

When they ask me I just say " the more I follow the directions, the better the 300v runs.... Imagine that !!"

Thanks to this thread (and my La5 with a 300v) I have other guys in our club looking at getting Lasers. I even ordered an ESM Mig 3 today since ESM is quitting production with no return in sight at this time. Now we have two Mig 3's here waiting for a build next fall. Probably 300v's maybe 360's if it fit....

This thread is by far the best Laser resource there is out there. Keep up the great work.

Joe

Edited By Joespeeder on 12/12/2017 21:50:24

Hi Andy

Cant give a lead time on it. I wanted the petrol done a year ago but no such luck. My plan is to get a running prototype on glow by late spring and use that to test the mechanical side. After that its onwards and upwards.

Joe, thanks for your post. I am sure you find life even trickier stateside as no doubt everyone tell you that 20% nitro is the minimum. It might be for other brands but its not for us!

The Migs should be a hoot and you will have a nice little Russian airforce with 2 of them and the La. Shame I cant come join you guys one weekend

Jon, Is there an easy way to tell if I've got a 62 or 70. Only my vernier guage batterys gone, all I've got is a ruler crying I had a accident trying to get the piston rings to unstick and broke one crying Also do you sell the pushrod adjuster screws as ones cracking around the edge ? Push rods are fine just the socket in the screw is going. ( couldn't see any on the website)

Edited By trebor on 13/12/2017 17:55:56

Its all to easy to break the rings when they are stuck but I think both of your engines were 70's so I can send some more. The bore should be 27.7mm if they are 70's.

Rocker adjusters are easy, got a few of them but don't worry if they are chipped on the edges as its just where the hardening goes right through the material. If you use the wrong size screwdriver (as someone has by the sound of it) you chip the corners really easily. It wont effect the way they operate though.

If the pushrod side of the adjuster is damaged then its worth changing. They aren't expensive.

The configuration of the rockershaft is as you have it. The O ring seals the shaft to prevent oil leaking and the ptfe spacer acts to reduce friction. the O ring should be a fairly tight fit, if not its probably worn and needs replacing.

Bert, works for me. Put it in the stampe thread too and see how may takers we get.

• 2 months later...

Hi Tony

The design is pretty much finalised and I am producing parts for the pre production batch. Its taken longer than hoped to go from prototype to production and required a redesign of the pump. I should be able to test the new pump next week and then there are only a few parts left to manufacture.

Assuming there are no issues with the pre production batch I am still targeting the spring for a full release.

• 6 months later...
Posted by Glenn Ryan on 14/09/2018 04:23:23:

Well this isn't good. No posts from Jon since February and no engines available on their website. I wonder if all is ok. I know there was a workshop move planned but it doesn't look good if there's no products available.

Has anyone heard from Jon lately?

I must admit that similar thoughts had crossed my mind. Jon has posted on other threads since February and the parent company appears to have settled into its new building, perhaps he's just gone on holiday. Everybody deserves a holiday.

Currently there is a note on the Laser website saying that they hope to return the 70, 80 and 100 motors to full production by mid September which is an improvement on the previous note which simply said that they were out of stock. Odd that they've missed out the 155. I always thought that that was a popular seller.

As for the twins, I suspect they're working on converting them to petrol and unlike other manufacturers, they won't be relaeasing them until all of the bugs have been ironed out.

To be fair, engines were in stock end of July / August if I remember correctly but sold out fairly quickly. If you look at the 180 petrol thread you will see that I’ve been testing a pre production GA30 which to all intents and purposes is a production standard engine and I’ve been very pleased with the results. Petrol is certainly the way forward for the larger engines and I suspect that a lot of effort is going into producing these and this maybe at the, temp, expense of production of the glow engines, after all, labour resource is somewhat limited bearing in mind the amount of time it must take to develop a new engine. Sit tight and your patience will be rewarded! But from my dealings with them, Laser and Jon are very much still around (holidays permitting!)