Winters Here Who's Been Flying ?

Advert

Been out Sat and Sunday. Field has just been fertilised with muck so no wandering off strip! Mud was horrible, wind was variable and horrible, light wasn't good, almost horrible!

Flying made it all worth it though! Maidened my lil UMX Spacewalker but with no AS3X the wind gusts were trying to flip it over! Flew my Wots Wot Foam-e both days. Slope like aerobatics and messing about with climb 'n glides. It's now very dirty!

Paul also flew his WotsWot Foam-e and maidened his UMX PT17 Stearman and CL 415 Canadair water bomber. Landed well on the mud!

Might be light winds in France Terry but my weather station is currently showing 45.4 mph and no sun...

Hope to get on the hill shortly but I suspect it will be a while for the weather to settle down enough for me to get out my biplanes!

Enjoying your retirement it seems - like you I got into models after the wife said no to anymore paramotoring which I had done for many years without incident...

O to be young again. Regards Peter

Posted by PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap on 26/01/2016 16:48:46:

Might be light winds in France Terry but my weather station is currently showing 45.4 mph and no sun...

Hope to get on the hill shortly but I suspect it will be a while for the weather to settle down enough for me to get out my biplanes!

Enjoying your retirement it seems - like you I got into models after the wife said no to anymore paramotoring which I had done for many years without incident...

O to be young again. Regards Peter

How true Peter!! The problem is I don't feel older at all so far! It's only when I see photos of groups and wonder who the old boy is and realise it's me that I have moments of realisation.

We did have a really long spell of horrible weather which seems to have finally come to end but we do get frosts and snow here and the log fire is burning merrily away!

Cheers Terry

• 3 weeks later...

Superb morning here in Somerset . Out at 9 with my two Sebarts. What an idiot ! Left a wing bag in the shed for the S Bach so that didn't get an airing. As it was so lovely I recharged a lipo at the patch, something I don't normally do. One other member appeared as he always comes when it's freezing. Prop flew off has Acromaster but he got it down OK - just muddied. Colin

After a morning sorting out daughters No.2 builder and contacting the Building Inspector, then starting on some of the jobs to facilitate our move, re-plugging the two Lipos from HK, ordered on Tuesday. I was in a position to be able to ask permission to go out to play.

This was yesterday, a cold with a wind of about 15 mph up here in the Great Northern Powerhouse. Given that our patch is surrounded by trees which means as the air speed increases, so does the bumbyness of the air low down on any approach. With this in mind there was no great enthusiasm to try and fly a model.

After lunch I trundled of to our field, at club No. 2. There were two people already present. One of which was flying. We were shortly joined by another two members, one of which seemed to have brought a Zimmer Frame, with which he made steady progress towards us. There was a steady back ground rumble, which i could not place. As he approached, i did think, I knew there was a minor health problem, but a motorised Zimmer Frame was taking things a bit far. Then I realised it was a motorised lawn mower.

Now you may wonder why a relatively small lawn mower. In our case the field is saturated with water, places standing water is to be seen in the now long grass. I guess all are suffering similar issues, the grass continues to grow, thought this winter albeit slower, but grow it does. The big ganged mower just cannot be got onto the field, nor can it cut properly.

Our Club Chairman took the lead and instructed Zimmer Frame man what needed to be done. Harsh I thought, as our ailing member set about the task. Surveying with a degree of satisfaction our chairman looked on. The rest of us thinking how long will it take him. Suddenly our chairman turned and spoke. Right then, the rest of you can take it in turns to undertake 3 passes each. My turn shortly arrived, and then re-arrived a number of times. The going was tough for the mower, on the longer grass, no longer surging forward, just a steady crawl. Masses of cut grass lay all about. Which had me pondering, would the grass dry and be blown away, or are clumps so large and sodden that they would just sit and rot down, Hmmm, will this be as much of an issue as the long grass.

Suddenly I was shaken from my ponderings and internal debates. Well that is the main runway sorted. We need a 90 degree alternative alignment, then there is a taxi way and a helicopter circle. Come on lads, set to it.

When all of our tasks were complete, one member prepared for a flight, only to find that his plug driver and electric starter were receiving insufficient power from the pb Battery. Unfortunately the one IC power modeller had by now departed and the rest of us are electric modellers. It was only when driving home that I thought, perhaps one omy 3s Lipos could have been used?

With a degree of satisfaction I looked around, above the rough, i observed a Kestral hovering. Then as a A380 Airbus trundled over, I noted two Buzzards, gliding steadily up wind, the air obviously perfectly laminar, God dam those trees. If only one of those deceases that seems to regularly blight our UK trees could attack our unwanted trees.

Anyway, by now the sun was far to low for me and i set of for home.

Edited By Erfolg on 11/02/2016 12:39:54

Edited By Erfolg on 11/02/2016 12:42:07

• 2 weeks later...

An excellent weekend over here.

Arriving at the field at 0930 each morning; a chilly but acceptable 4-5 degrees, a slight hint of a breeze and cloud free blue skies, by midday a pleasantly comfortable 12 degrees or so.

I flew 4 or 5 models and today I maidened my FX-61 Phantom

fx-61 - 1 copy.jpg

Many guys at the field during the weekend with a great variety of models being flown.

img_06 copy.jpg

img_01 copy.jpg

img_07 copy.jpg

The best weekend so far this year.

We had a mornings flying at the BMFA Spring ModelShow at RNAS Yeovilton yesterday. It was pretty windy early on and very windy at about 2pm when we decided to call it a day. A good turn out concidering the weather, we sent up a mix of turbines, gassers, glow and electric models put on a display for the public. It was nice flying from the Tarmac rather than the usual soggy field! And nice to see the full size in the fleet air arm museum. Great day out..

Shame my Edge 540 met with the Tarmac as it seemed to stall on the downwind to crosswind leg.. I initially thought I'd been locked out as it was not responding to my inputs, but It was gusting about 35mph at the time, which couldn't be fully felt where the pilots box was sheltered partially by the hangers. With hindsight I think the strong gusting wind speed on the downwind leg, exceeded my airspeed, causing it to stall and fall out of the sky as I initiated a turn. It wasn't until I went to salvage the model that I realised just how windy it was further out on the tarmac. Oh well, it's not as badly damaged as it first looked, it'll give me something to do while this weather continues!...

Rubbish weather again this weekend, so no flying for me. Last weekend was almost as bad, though I did get out to fly last Sunday and had a couple of flights. (Only a couple because my cold fingers mucked-up the the x-wind landing and slightly rearranged the tail-end of my Pushycat, which was the only model I'd taken.)

Is Spring nearly here? dont know

Managed to fly with a few others at Epsom Downs on Tuesday but despite the calm forecast there were turbulent gusts across the take-off strip which upset some flyers.

Managed to join Peter Bruce's BPMFC group today at Castle Hill for slope soaring with my ancient Flair Heron plus my Wildthing 60. Peter B measured the wind strength at 34 MPH but there were certainly higher gusts, however lift was good and there were no plane casualties.

John how about joining us next time with a few Epsom lads perhaps, I could e-mail you to confirm any visit? It takes me less than an hour to get to Castle Hill along the M25, M26 and first right hand exit from the A 240.

Look out for Peter's light hearted video.

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 21/02/2016 23:37:51

Glorious morning here in the Northern Powerhouse, Has Spring Sprung?

Blue sky, sunshine, almost no wind.... though the ground is still very damp and soft

A few flights with the HK Arrow curtailed by an aileron pushrod linkage screw going awol..

Attempted a maiden with the EDF Jet Provost Mk2 - simple not enough "Ommff" coming out of the jet pipe to sustain anything other than a assisted glide.... So do I make Fuselage Mk3 with a wider jet pipe eflux, try it on a 6S and hope for an absence of blue smoke, or chop the nose off and stuff a tractor prop on it......