2016 RCM&E Autumn Special- Free Plan Modellers Choice

The problem with the Ju-52 is that in any decent size the corrugations would be a must to look right. However I haven't yet seen a reasonably simple way of doing them. Therefore

1. De Havilland Hornet, electric around 70"-80'"

2. Douglas Invader, ditto

as the Bucker Jungmann and the Hawker Fury are already on the building board,

3. Gloster Gladiator, sized for an electric .40 equivalent

Lorenz

Posted by Lorenz Mueller on 15/01/2016 14:17:20:

The problem with the Ju-52 is that in any decent size the corrugations would be a must to look right. However I haven't yet seen a reasonably simple way of doing them.

Lorenz

I did the corrugated fuel tank on my 58" DB Tiger Moth with corrugated card I bought for pennies on eBay. I didn't even have to paint it because it came in red (amongst other colours) which matched the fuselage. I'm sure it would work on a similarly sized Ju-52.

My choices?

Hawker Hind

Gloster Gladiator

I also quite like Phil's idea of a better looking scale-like trainer though I don't see the point of rudder elevator only. Learning to fly with ailerons is no big deal. I learned at 55 that way and younger starters would have fewer problems than I.

I would prefer electric power or at least the option available without needing to redesign the fuselage as I'm having to do with the Ballerina.

Geoff

I think the Yak 3 is a very attractive aircraft & would make an interesting addition to the usual Warbirds....

yak3.jpg

My first choice would be a Bucker Jungmeister.....suitable for 90 glow power...a real "Clubmans" model...

jungmeister.jpg

Then all I need would be for RCM&E to publish a handy "cut out 'n' keep" Tony Nijhuis to build it for me...thumbs up

If the idea is to be something that sells magazine, plans and parts then the previous stable of decent sized warbirds seems to be a winning formula so

1. Bf109E in a similar size to the previous Spitfire, Hurricane, Typhoon and Mustang offerings. That would fill a gap.

2. Likewise the severely undermodelled Douglas Boston/Havoc is a favourite twin with superb good looks.

3. For something a bit different, and since there seems to be a biplane theme developing, how about a Gloster Gladiator?

If I'm not allowed to show this magazine cover I apologise and understand if the mods feel the need to remove it. However it is such a brilliant action picture of this charismatic biplane that I couldn't resist showing it for those who don't read the "Aeroplane". Although generally considered equivalent to the Gladiator, it was about 20 mph faster and the weight of fire of 2x.5"s is higher than 4x303"s. It could give a Hurricane 1(Tropical) a hard time. No rigging wires and at 1:6.5 scale it would be a handy 48" span and could be left in one piece for most people. (Could even consider making the wings from balsa sheet as Tony has done before with some of his early offerings, e.g. his small Spitfire). Otherwise a bigger one with the wings permanently assembled in 2 separately removable bays, fairly simple with the Warren truss struts and no wires. Also noting the interest in twins, can I alter my list of 3? 1. Fiat CR42. 2. Fairey Fulmar. 3. Bristol Blenheim 1.fiat cr42.jpg

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 17/01/2016 12:43:36

Hi Guys,

Certainly some great plane suggestions no doubt! I do however feel and probably I'm wrong but if the special was based purely on mag sales would it possibly go like this perhaps?

EDF/Jets

1) Concorde (loved the world over including America ) Although I do feel they hated it at first/banned it to start with!

Not made over here was their thoughts?....Who knows.

2) Hawker Siddley Harrier /Av8 Yet again loved by many including America

3) English Electric Canberra/Martin B57

WW2

1) Mitsubishi Zero

2) Hawker Sea Fury

3)ME 109/BF109 Particularly the later marks....however this could also sway to maybe a

4) Douglas Skyraider or B25 Mitchell as from what I remember Tonys FW 190 never sold to well...unless I'm mistaken.

WW1

1) Neuport 17 French but I believe the Americans used it

2)?????????

3) Guys I'm really not that up on WW1....Not my bag I'm afraid but they were pioneering days and I'm not knocking it,you guys will be more clued up than me and can fill in the blank spaces I have missed.!

This is only my assumptions based on mag sales worldwide, particularly America, Canada, Australia and New Zealand I would say. I'm not prejudiced against any plane that's picked or modelled as coming from TN it will be a Corker in all aspects! I have my preferences like anyone...Trash and treasure scenario I'm afraid.

Maybe when the next special (after this) comes around maybe we should ask Tony what he would like to build for a change and call it Tonys Top Ten...Not arf pop pickers,sorry couldn't resist! That way it could be ten aircraft from different eras military, civilian, unorthodox etc.

Good luck to all voting and to TN for the building

Kind Regards

Steve teeth 2

Edited By Steve Adams on 17/01/2016 20:21:27

Hi Danny,

Yes I was wondering that as well Hawker Fury was a biplane,yet The Hawker Sea Fury was a monoplane

So I think anyone who has put Furys in their votes need to clarify whether it's just. “Hawker Fury” or “Hawker Sea Fury ” so we can get a more accurate count up for Tony towards the end of/mid way through

Cheers

Steve crookwink

Back in 1977, Ian Peacock did a 'Dogfight Double' full-size plan feature in RCM&E over three issues.  They were a Spitfire and Me109, both for 20 size engines. Of relatively simple construction they were hand launched, with just enough detail to look good. 

From what I saw, they were very popular at the time. How about doing the same concept again with, say:

• Wildcat/Zero
  • Tempest/FW190
  • F86 Sabre/MiG 15
  • Hawker Fury/Fiat CR42 (Spanish Civil War & Yugoslavia)
  • Ju88/Beaufighter
  • Junkers CL1/Bristol Monoplane

It doesn't really matter what the pair is, provided they were adversaries and would look good in the air together.

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 18/01/2016 12:47:56

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 18/01/2016 12:53:01

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 18/01/2016 12:57:00

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 18/01/2016 12:59:08

I agree Robin,

Another Dogfight Double would be good. I particularly like the idea of the JU88 and Beaufighter sounds great!

I remember Tonys Mosquito and Moskito twin double were fantastic could include anything like you say Harrier and Puccara or Mirage 2000, Skyhawk etc from the Falklands conflict.

Still would love a Concorde as well though. It's like Tony says.....sooooo many subjects,so little time

Never mind there can only be one winner,unless it's a dogfight double as Robin suggests

Time will tell I spose

Cheers

Stevelaugh