Modellers aspirations

Glyn44

As I read these forums I am impressed with the people who can say " I built that using stuff I had lying around!

Or " I had. 2835 1100kv motor spare so I used that "

How long do I have to wait til I can do that.

What do you fellow fliers aspire to? That's mine.

Advert

hello glyn44,

after years of building /flying/crashing...a normal Modeller will accumulate enough stuff to open their own model shop twice over -hence that occasionally they can build a model from stuff lying around from previous sorties/missions...teeth 2 .... the other little know fact is look in any modeller's cave and only they will know what all the bits are etc...... and of course it is all kept ..."in case they need it"...

ken anderson...ne...1 ....trade secrets dept.

Hi Glyn

I looked back a bit on the posts, and see you are doing well, and taking note of many experts on this forum, not least Jon Laser. If any newbee looks in, take note to simplify your 1st flights. Use your thumbs however they land on the sticks, and dont be drawn into an unatural configeration. My own technique with arthritic hands is thumbs on top.

The dreaded EXPO was mentioned in posts. Listen to the experts while you are learning, you need all the stick movement you can get, without diluting your control with expo. When you get proficient, you may want to soften the stick with expo.

In a nutshell, a new flyer needs as little to think about as possible, and not be distracted by rate switches and odd stick settings. Just small tasks to do each new flight, looking atbthe model in the air, as we all know.

Keep asking, keep practicing

Posted by ken anderson. on 20/01/2016 09:24:40:

hello glyn44,

after years of building /flying/crashing...a normal Modeller will accumulate enough stuff to open their own model shop twice over -hence that occasionally they can build a model from stuff lying around from previous sorties/missions...teeth 2 .... the other little know fact is look in any modeller's cave and only they will know what all the bits are etc...... and of course it is all kept ..."in case they need it"...

my modelling aspiration is to find those stocks of parts when I need them instead of a week later.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 20/01/2016 10:47:03:

hello glyn44,

my modelling aspiration is to find those stocks of parts when I need them instead of a week later.

Is this Modellers Anonymous Bob? only I think I have the same problem! laughdevilcrying

Nige.

I am with Bob on this one. I would love to be able to find all the stuff i have before i buy a replacement!.

But, my most sizable collection is of spare engines. I can cater for any model needing an engine between .09 two stroke and 400 4 stroke radial.

The mountain of used spares is inevitable, it will come. My main problem is I look at mine and think what can I build out of that? I come up with an idea, but before it is finished I have moved onto something else, so I suppose my main aspiration is to actually finish something that I have designed crook

Hi Glyn,

A quick count up reveals that I have 32 known good servos lying around. Guess what I need to buy for my next project, yep you've guessed it, some servos. What I've got just doesn't match what I need!
So saying I built a J!VE fairly recently and all the gear came out of the spares box so it is possible to use up your leftovers.

Shaunie.

Glyn

It will happen. We modeller are just natural hoarders, we accumulate many items over time.. it's the nature of the hobby. But just like squirrels we often forget where we put things. That's my biggest bug bear.. not being able to find something when I need it most, that I know I have but just can't put my hands on. Why does that happen!? At times it feels like the Universe is in a conspiracy.

Glyn, I suggest you only buy things you need when you need then.. it's too easy to buy unnecessary items early on. I adopt the KISS principle.

Ash

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 20/01/2016 10:47:03:

hello glyn44,

+1...I think it's often a question of attitude....when I crash a model I don't like to see it that I've lost a model....more.. that I've gained a receiver....teeth 2

I aspire to live long enough and healthily enough to build and fly all the models I want to, and repair all the ones I've already got and get them flying too. The only snag is I will have to outlive those 150 year old Galapagos tortoises to stand the remotest chance of doing so...

A slightly modified version of a quotation I saw recently:

"My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell all my models for what I told her I paid for them." surprise

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 21/01/2016 18:00:21

Posted by Glyn44 on 20/01/2016 09:06:01:

As I read these forums I am impressed with the people who can say " I built that using stuff I had lying around!

Or " I had. 2835 1100kv motor spare so I used that "

How long do I have to wait til I can do that.

What do you fellow fliers aspire to? That's mine.

Been clearing a load of junk out of the loft over the last few days & came across this :

p6 box.jpg

I built the model yonks ago, flew it over a few years, refurbed then sold it last year but had forgotten about the box & it's contents. It felt quite heavy so opened the lid to see what it contained...

contents.jpg

packed with, mainly balsa teeth 2...

content detail.jpg

Definitely enough there for a model or two ... or more. wink 2

In another box which I hadn't forgotten but just hadn't got around to since I packed it in the winter of 2006...

engines.jpg

this is the top layer of about 60 assorted diesel & glow engines ranging from .5cc to 10cc. They were all cleaned, oiled & either put in their original box or a substitute box or in sealed plastic bags with the intention of being called into use as needed from the following spring.
However the advantages of using electric power in winter weather rolled into spring, summer and... now I'm a complete convert.teeth 2

Must get around to Ebaying after I've ran a few of them.teeth 2

Posted by Glyn44 on 21/01/2016 20:57:17:

OMG 60!!!!!!!! Engines. Ever thought of opening a shop. I'm overawed.

PS how many motors do you have tucked away for a rain day.

To put some perspective on the numbers, they were collected over aprox a 50 years period. They include the 2nd & 4th engine I ever acquired, several of them have been overhauled with new parts fitted & a few re-bored (one twice), although there are a number of NIB amongst them. All the NIBs were bought second hand.
Two or three are actually totaly worn out & only been kept 'cause I can't bring myself to binning them. However some of these may be used in making dummy engines for electric powered vintage models - I've already done this with a Frog 149 cylinder jacket attached to a Veron Deacon.