To look away or not to look away? That is the 'A' question!

Hi TWS - I think what the average examiner is looking for is a bit of common sense an safe practice here. Just things like:

1. Do you have a good look round the circuit and the wider sky to assess the traffic situation before you announce "lining up" and taxi out for take off?

2. Do you pause the model at the start of the strip and have a good look down the strip and into the middle distance in the direction of your take-off run and climb out to establish its clear before you call "taking-off!" and open the throttle?

3. Do you take an instant, during say the downwind leg or cross wind leg of your landing circuit, to quickly glance down the strip in the direction of your landing to be sure its empty?

4. When flying around generally do you show a broad awareness of whereabout your model is relative to various hazards and landmarks around the flying zone.

And that's it really. Simples. Its a bit like when you did your driving test - you were probably told to make the fact that you are using your mirror obvious - same here really. I sometimes suggest to beginners that they actually say to the examiner that they are doing it, so: "Checking strip clear,...OK" etc.

BEB

Advert

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 12/05/2016 19:33:15:

I also do the mental 'all clear above and below' I learned when full size gliding before signalling the winch to start taking up slack as well as the verbal 'Taking off' warning if there are others flying or in the vicinity.

When I did a little full-size gliding (a long time ago!) the call before launch was "all clear above and behind" before "take up slack" and then "all out." I suspect that's what you meant to say, Geoff - unless you had special concerns for the earthworms at your gliding field!

Posted by John Privett on 14/05/2016 22:08:34:
Posted by Geoff Sleath on 12/05/2016 19:33:15:

I also do the mental 'all clear above and below' I learned when full size gliding before signalling the winch to start taking up slack as well as the verbal 'Taking off' warning if there are others flying or in the vicinity.

When I did a little full-size gliding (a long time ago!) the call before launch was "all clear above and behind" before "take up slack" and then "all out." I suspect that's what you meant to say, Geoff - unless you had special concerns for the earthworms at your gliding field!

You're right of course The last time I flew a full size glider was 1999 on SI New Zealand and that was after a gap of several years since I flew at Camp Hill in the Peak District so I've got a good excuse. The main ground level hazard was a peewit's nest right in the middle of the field which was surrounded by a circle of white-painted rocks to help identify it. The sitting bird never even flinched when the shadow of a wing swept over her as we landed.

I'm getting old

Geoff

Posted by Andy48 on 13/05/2016 14:39:30:

Why not just fly a lower circuit before landing then you can see both runway and your plane?

That's what I do.

I call " circuit then landing" and then on the final downwind leg call "landing". The low circuit will confirm what the wind is like on the strip and flying a 3/4 low circuit keeps your eyes lower to the horizon and ground for pilots who want to come out and are off....well it works for me at the club.

Having taught people to fly for the last half-a-century, one thing becomes highly apparent: Beginners concentrate intensely on their models and are "zoomed in" on it to the disregard of everything else around it. . . somewhat like a camera can be zoomed in on a subject.

When they have gained a little more experience, they are taught to go "wide angle" so they can be more aware of other hazards, any of which could be in the air or on the ground, and may indeed mean having a look around to ensure the way is clear. It is mainly a case of being relaxed and confident when flying.

B.C.

For the inexperienced...yet :

RC-pilots, as most people in their activities who must make quick and right decisions, should activate all their senses over the whole area of flying, without fixation on his model only. This is possible with experience and then go back to the beginning, because experience comes by the time , learn an practice with a wide range of errors,which we paid in the past and some of us are paying today....under the vigilant watch of Mr. Murphy ....but du not giving up...face 1

Thanks so much for your time.

Yep, we all agree, we all spend time looking at things other than the model. There may be different stratagems employed, at various times, all designed to keep us aware of what is going on around us.

We also operate as a group as well as the individual, in ways that designed to control and avoid as many risks as is sensibly possible.

There is no argument it seems.

I have been flying some 18 years including flying gliders at a good distance and height away from me , you do not want too take your eyes of these as they can be difficult to find again. But when you are landing how are you able to put the plane down with out looking at the landing strip in advance ?

Posted by barry thorp on 15/05/2016 17:11:28:

I have been flying some 18 years including flying gliders at a good distance and height away from me , you do not want too take your eyes of these as they can be difficult to find again. But when you are landing how are you able to put the plane down with out looking at the landing strip in advance ?

Fly at yourself........cheeky

One thing I've not seen mentioned is that a correctly trimmed model (fixed wing) WILL stay flying if you look away, take your thumbs of the sticks or put the TX on the floor (yes, it can be done). Even the most capable aerobatic or '3d' models will fly strait and level hands off - if they dont, they aint much cop!

This technique was taught to me by a Nimrod pilot in a Nimrod simulator who flew models and (forgive the name dropping) Martin Bedding (of IMAC fame) who taught me Aerobatics*:

Fly over strip and count - one and two and three and four and five, fly back round and count again.On count 'two and three...' is the time to take a quick glance Down and back up, THREE is the center of the strip length. When you get the hang of it, you can look going into and down wind.

Tunnel vision can be negated by blinking and looking Ahead of the model.

I was told: If you lose a glider at altitude, stick it on it's wingtip and pull in a fair amount up elevator. and watch for the flashes.

*I can still see in my minds eye the china-graph drawings of Position / View and practice flights / debriefs after 30 years , I'll draw them up and post them if ya likes?

Posted by D. Woodward on 16/05/2016 17:47:46:

I was told: If you lose a glider at altitude, stick it on it's wingtip and pull in a fair amount up elevator. and watch for the flashes.

Yes, when I lost sight of my Sunrise I did that and relocated it from the sun glinting on the wings as they fluttered themselves to bitsblush

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 16/05/2016 17:52:12:
Posted by D. Woodward on 16/05/2016 17:47:46:

Yes, when I lost sight of my Sunrise I did that and relocated it from the sun glinting on the wings as they fluttered themselves to bitsblush

Bummer sad

Well, thank you for the comments.

Good news: I passed my 'A' on the first attempt. It was by far the worst flight I did at any time during my practicing but I suspect that's not unusual. The wind was all over the place: it changed by 180 degrees between my practice and the test flight, and then again during my test (such that my power on landing and my deadstick landing were in opposite directions).

So all in all, concentrating for the test was very good practice of peripheral vision and awareness... ...but it's also all about conscious versus subconscious acts. I realised I learn to use peripheral vision to look around and ahead the model, and it requires thought. Then when it's practiced sufficiently, it becomes automatic. But then in a test situation, making sure that you are seen to be doing it, requires thinking about it all over again!

Phew!