Crashtastic??

Guys , stop falling out !

Electric boogaloo or Electric God as he sometimes posts as is the one who needs to take the flack. He is well known in Hampshire as a trouble maker and has caused problems within numerous clubs,

He has been ousted by many and has tried to close 2 that we know off , He tried to get the CAA involved with the Winchester club (failed miserably )

He was as he states chairman at a public site in the new forest & tried to get that closed before others took action.

And latterly tried to cause trouble with the fireflyers club at Botley.

Adam , we know who you are old son , why keep on trying to ruin and cause upset ?

We're not condoning the you tube stuff but to start getting the council involved is a nonsense, if the truth were known here about Electric boogaloo all would become apparent.

The persons who want to hush this up or take the 'softly softly' approach remind me of the mayor in Jaws. The trouble is, just like the shark, these things can and do come back to bite you. Better for some mavericks to lose their site (if that's what happens) rather than someone lose their sight when hit be an errant model.

Just my thoughts.

Posted by Tony Read 2 on 29/07/2016 13:33:26:

The persons who want to hush this up or take the 'softly softly' approach remind me of the mayor in Jaws. The trouble is, just like the shark, these things can and do come back to bite you. Better for some mavericks to lose their site (if that's what happens) rather than someone lose their sight when hit be an errant model.

There's always a bigger picture, though.

If the shark had disappeared again, and the resort had gone bust because of the lack of tourism due to scaremongering, then it may well for all I know be a more likely outcome. But it would have made a rubbish film!!!

Posted by Tony Read 2 on 29/07/2016 13:33:26:

Just my thoughts.

Not suggesting hush up or even softly softly but a proportionate reaction.

How about the BMFA local area getting pro active and attending the site (it seems to be well known to some on here) to monitor and advise those flyers (whether BMFA members or not) who are being silly / dangerous.

This way, the BMFA could demonstrate to the authorities (and to us) that they are 'fit for purpose' in respect of upholding flying standards and ensuring safety of the public and the flyers.

I'm not meaning to have a go at the BMFA btw when I wrote fit for purpose, just couldn't think of another way of putting it!!

Kim

Discussing and sharing views is fine but Havant Borough Council are likely to revise their bye-law to prohibit flying on ANY of it's land as that is easier for them to do than than single out one place and define boundaries. This would most likely prohibit flying kites too. Well done.

Time to call this to a halt as enough disquiet amongst model flyers has been exhibited here publicly. Should we not be pulling together instead of point scoring and tarnishing our image.

John Soper

Posted by Michael Ramsay-Fraser on 29/07/2016 12:57:09:

And at which point did I suggest that there WAS interference with 'open and fair' debate? I actually said I thought there were better options on how to deal with the original problem so surely that is supporting the debate, not interfering with it?

Nor did I suggest there was any connection between this thread and the Brexit one. I was only raising my personal concerns.

Similarly, I don't think either Kim, John or myself suggested that this forum was at fault, if fault it was, in Electric Boogaloo emailing the local council. I think the comments were directed at that particular poster, not the forum.

I rather think it is you, BEB that hasn't thought out your comment.

I can only sugest that you read your own posts Michael.

BEB

Not sure of your point really John ?

You call flying like this and posting videos on youtube pulling together ?

I call it selfish and irresponsible myself .

Would I have emailed the BC, no I'd have worried about others suffering as a result, but then the actions of these fellas may bring that about anyway, so maybe I should have ? tricky stuff doing the right thing wink

Tarnishing our image ? you sure you're addressing the right audience ?

John Stones

Edited By john stones 1 on 29/07/2016 14:55:53

Posted by john stones 1 on 29/07/2016 14:42:13:

Not sure of your point really John ?

You call flying like this and posting videos on youtube pulling together ?

I call it selfish and irresponsible myself .

Would I have emailed the BC, no I'd have worried about others suffering as a result, but then the actions of these fellas may bring that about anyway, so maybe I should have ? tricky stuff doing the right thing wink

Tarnishing our image ? you sure you're addressing the right audience ?

John Stones

Edited By john stones 1 on 29/07/2016 14:55:53

I'm not condoning their actions, you've missed the point. I'm not going to add any further as it just adding fuel to the fire. Time to switch off and go flying!

Mmm, interesting question.For me there are some significant differences here:

1. Everyone involved is consenting - its a private site by the looks of it and there are no "passers by" who's possible involvenment would not be with their consent.

2.I 'm guessing but I think they are all fliers - so they know the risks and their constent as such is informed consent.

3. I suspect this looks a lot more dramatic and potentially dngerous, than it actually is - so for example catching the Radian nose-on is less of a risk if the throttle is shut. Don't get me wrong - I'm not advocating that! Just pointing out that it might look more hazardous than it actully is.

So, I might on the strength of all that, go for "guys enjoying themselves in a way I wouldn't choose to" rather than "irresponsible". The counter side of course is:

ANO 166 - the pilot must be reasonably satisfied the flight can be completed safely (Mmmm?)

And - while it might be OK for them to do this - it sets a very bad example for those less knowledge/skillful who may choose to try to emulate it.

Jury's out,...

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 29/07/2016 23:43:54

Posted by Martin Harris on 29/07/2016 18:45:06:

...and consenting adults away from the public.

Which reminds me of a video I watched of a vintage free flight fly in.The models were all over the place in the windy conditions and with other modelers starting their engines it looked a bit hairy.

At least they all seemed to be watching the model.

Ron

Anyone watched the "Rant" video? I tried posting a comment on Youtube, but it seems to have gone private all of a sudden. Anyway it links to this thread so I hope they read it.

This isn't an "official BMFA forum". It's a forum that is linked to RCM&E magazine. Just FYI gents.

Rant video

Interesting that in the video the guy does not really contest that in the 3 examples posted in this thread (Crashtastic, the Wellington crash and the A10 crash) the individuals concerned either did not have sufficient skills, a safety first attitude or both. Apparently two of the three pilots "were not made welcome afterwards and no longer fly with us" whilst the third behind the camera "has learnt a lot and will no longer blame his radio for crashes caused by pilot error".

I can accept that at a public site inexperienced and/or irresponsible individuals can and will turn up on occasion and fly with little regard for safety - I have seen it (rarely) at slope sites I fly from, and there is very little that can be done. What isn't logical or excusable is why the RC Geeks chose to publish videos online celebrating these individuals and their poor safety practises without any mention in the video or description that they did not condone this type of flying. Why do this? It can only damage the image of the hobby as a whole. There is only one possible reason I can think of for this - crash videos drive more hits on their channel.

PS - Anyone else find it funny that members of this forum have been accused of hiding behind our handles and criticising anonymously from afar? This does seem a bit rich given the RC Geeks have been very busy in the past few days removing incriminating videos and posting a rant against members of this forum against which comments are not allowed! I guess freedom of speech/expression only applies in their world if you agree with them. Or maybe I will be proved wrong and they will choose to step forward and contribute to the debate on the issue...

Edited By MattyB on 30/07/2016 02:14:39