Crashtastic??

Being a non affiliated, go it alone, relatively new to the hobby 70 year old bloke who flies on his own land in France I've followed this thread & watched their reponse 'rant' with interest.

Not being sufficiently well versed in the British system wouldn't presume to comment as to the rights or wrongs of the Hayling Island blokes but would comment that some of the responses here are a tad pompous to say the least.

If these guys do indeed need a guiding hand & if some folk here are concerned about public safety why not arrange for some members to visit them where I'm sure the personal touch would go down well & be appreciated? You are achieving nothing by taking the moral high ground , reporting them to the local authority & having a pop at them off on a forum. A shake of the hand is always better than a slap on the face so come on guys, get out from behind you keyboards, get off you backsides & go talk to them man to man. You are after all the Friendly Forum.wink

If he is telling us the truth in the "rant" video, I assume that he is, then they seem to be having fun, and enjoying themselves. Certainly more laughs than I get when i fly!

Wish I lived nearer to Hayling so i could go and see for myself, as i haven't seen them myself no judgement from me.

Posted by vic evans 1 on 30/07/2016 10:31:21:

Being a non affiliated, go it alone, relatively new to the hobby 70 year old bloke who flies on his own land in France I've followed this thread & watched their reponse 'rant' with interest.

Not being sufficiently well versed in the British system wouldn't presume to comment as to the rights or wrongs of the Hayling Island blokes but would comment that some of the responses here are a tad pompous to say the least.

If these guys do indeed need a guiding hand & if some folk here are concerned about public safety why not arrange for some members to visit them where I'm sure the personal touch would go down well & be appreciated? You are achieving nothing by taking the moral high ground , reporting them to the local authority & having a pop at them off on a forum. A shake of the hand is always better than a slap on the face so come on guys, get out from behind you keyboards, get off you backsides & go talk to them man to man. You are after all the Friendly Forum.wink

Mmmm, not sure about this. Bear in mind I have made no comment about these guys at Hayling Island up ti now, but I would like to make a couple of points here:

1. I repeat from before, this forum either as an official body or as a group of members collectively, did not report anywone to anywhere! You can't even in fairness ascribe that to the members who posted on this thread as a group. It was the independent, unilateral, action of one individaul - done without the support of members here, in fact subsequent comments would suggest exactly the contrary. So, to talk collectively about the posters on this thread in that light is I feel a little unfair.

2. The comments on here are pompous? Well...

"Hi, I'm from Modelflying and I come here today to teach you all how to fly safety, now just gether round and pay attenion" - Now that woud be pompous! I really don't think a visit would be welcome, or appropriate. I certainly shall not be making the journey!

3. They chose to make this a public affair by posting the videos on YouTube - so they have to take the public comment. At least here - as Matty points out - they do have a right of reply, unlike on YouTube. (BTW what is the point of posting a rant and then making it private? What's that all that about? Its like going to a loo and having a mutter in there - it might make you feel better but it sucks as a contribution to the debate!)

4. When people do things like this - fly in what seems to be a extremely unsafe manner and then glorify and celebrate it on YouTube - they potentially damage all of us. They damage and undermine the reputation of our hobby - a such I believe we have a right to counter that with likewise public disapproval as at leat some way towards readdressing the balance.

I think the best these guys can do is admit to an error of judgement, remove the questionable videos and focus on the good stuff that they do - and to be fair there is planty good stuff on their channel. If they do that then I for one would admire their courage in admitting that they got it wrong, and say "more strength to their elbow" in promoting a positive image of our hobby. Let's hope this just becomes unfortunate blip in their history - how about it guys - care to take that up?

BEB

Posted by Glyn44 on 30/07/2016 11:11:15:

If he is telling us the truth in the "rant" video, I assume that he is, then they seem to be having fun, and enjoying themselves. Certainly more laughs than I get when i fly!

Wish I lived nearer to Hayling so i could go and see for myself, as i haven't seen them myself no judgement from me.

So Glyn - have a good look at that video Phil has posted just after your post - still feel its just guys having fun? Nothing irresponsible or potentially dngerous there? Flight in full compliance with the ANO (which is not being "fun police" - its the law of the land). And just to be sure let's quote the law shall we:

ANO Article 137: A person must not recklessly or negligently act in a manner likely to endanger an aircraft, or any person in an aircraft.

ANO Article 138: A person must not recklessly or negligently cause or permit an aircraft to endanger any person or property.

So, these guys break the law (I think any reasonable person would agree that deliberatly part sawing through the wing of model prior to flight and then hiding that fault from the pilot constitites certainly a breach of 137 and possibly a breach of 138 as well) and then they are kind enough to put evdence of their actions in the oublic domain!

It's not fun,...it's stupid.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 30/07/2016 11:44:55

Somehow, given his reaction, I doubt that the pilot was actually unaware of the situation - I'd imagine they somehow thought it would make for an entertaining video along the lines of the countless "hilarious" staged accidents filmed for You've Been Framed. It takes all sorts...

Shame I missed the rant before they (presumably) became ashamed of their response.

'Rant' - not exactly, just a response putting their side of things. As for that last video being evidence of them breaking the law - that's rather a heavy view of things. The earlier videos of models crashing into housing - not good, but the 'practical joke' sawing ALL the way through BOTH wingtips - I also thought it was all a bit of a set piece carried out in a safe manner (the model was shown flying quite happily without the amputated tips) on an empty section of sea front. Some might suggest that there is a distinct lack of humour and an overzealous approach to applying statutes being displayed here.

Not me though, I wouldn't dream of suggesting such a thing.

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 30/07/2016 11:29:24:

Mmmm, not sure about this. Bear in mind I have made no comment about these guys at Hayling Island up ti now, but I would like to make a couple of points here:

1. I repeat from before, this forum either as an official body or as a group of members collectively, did not report anywone to anywhere! You can't even in fairness ascribe that to the members who posted on this thread as a group. It was the independent, unilateral, action of one individaul - done without the support of members here, in fact subsequent comments would suggest exactly the contrary. So, to talk collectively about the posters on this thread in that light is I feel a little unfair.

2. The comments on here are pompous? Well...

"Hi, I'm from Modelflying and I come here today to teach you all how to fly safety, now just gether round and pay attenion" - Now that woud be pompous! I really don't think a visit would be welcome, or appropriate. I certainly shall not be making the journey!

3. They chose to make this a public affair by posting the videos on YouTube - so they have to take the public comment. At least here - as Matty points out - they do have a right of reply, unlike on YouTube. (BTW what is the point of posting a rant and then making it private? What's that all that about? Its like going to a loo and having a mutter in there - it might make you feel better but it sucks as a contribution to the debate!)

4. When people do things like this - fly in what seems to be a extremely unsafe manner and then glorify and celebrate it on YouTube - they potentially damage all of us. They damage and undermine the reputation of our hobby - a such I believe we have a right to counter that with likewise public disapproval as at leat some way towards readdressing the balance.

I think the best these guys can do is admit to an error of judgement, remove the questionable videos and focus on the good stuff that they do - and to be fair there is planty good stuff on their channel. If they do that then I for one would admire their courage in admitting that they got it wrong, and say "more strength to their elbow" in promoting a positive image of our hobby. Let's hope this just becomes unfortunate blip in their history - how about it guys - care to take that up?

BEB

Thank you for your response Mr BEB. I was not surprised by your comments although I suspect you really got my drift. I was merely trying to give an 'outsiders' view on this thread but fear I was wasting my time.

You have used words to respond which were not part of my post & your use of semantics is to be applauded. My use of the term 'you' was in no way meant to suggest that this forum collectively denounced anyone & again I suspect you really knew that.

I used the phrase 'a tad pompous' & said 'go & talk to them' not ' rock up & lecture them.' They seem a mainly decent but maybe misguided bunch so why wouldn't a hand shake & friendly chat from some of the less 'pompous' on this Friendly Forum help? It would be a great chance to offer help if help was required or indeed if needed. They are obviously monitoring this forum so why not use it to extend a hand of friendship.?

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 30/07/2016 13:05:36:

It may have been the title but when it comes to a proper rant they have much to learn.

I did see the "rant" videos and it was a strange response in my view. but with the video not available to view it is hard to debate that. They did seem to concede the events in the (now deleted) videos were not good practice and measures were "now" in place but then went onto say any form of criticism was not welcome.

the passionate responses from both side only go to point out that people care very much about the hobby. An the name calling aside there is a great deal of common ground here.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 30/07/2016 12:45:28:

'Rant' - not exactly, just a response putting their side of things. As for that last video being evidence of them breaking the law - that's rather a heavy view of things. The earlier videos of models crashing into housing - not good, but the 'practical joke' sawing ALL the way through BOTH wingtips - I also thought it was all a bit of a set piece carried out in a safe manner (the model was shown flying quite happily without the amputated tips) on an empty section of sea front. Some might suggest that there is a distinct lack of humour and an overzealous approach to applying statutes being displayed here.

Not me though, I wouldn't dream of suggesting such a thing.

Whether or not is was a stunt Bob, no one could be sure how that model would fly if it flew at all. During the first and second launch there were people in the background walking around in the direction the model was launched. How can that be safe?

Shame we can't see the video. Nothing quite beats a good rant.

Always tells me a lot about a man by the quality of his rant. I especially like those that contain no correct facts whatsoever, lol! - you missed the bit about me eating children and stealing from old ladies…

For the record, no communication was sent to Havant BC. It was a bluff. i can't be fussed doing that, I'm a busy club wrecker!

As i hoped, they realised the issues at hand and appear to have changed things. Result.

Drops mic and leaves……..

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 31/07/2016 09:04:08

I have expressed my opinion elsewhere in the thread.

I would like to add one thing. Over the years I, and I am sure most modellers have done things, either thoughtlessly or accidently that have been stupid and/or dangerous.

The difference is that most of us feel ashamed and keep very quiet about it. WE don't think it is a great joke and put films up for everyone to view.

If we did we could well expect others to tell us that we goofed in a big way, Something that the intelligent, conscientious modeller is already well aware of without having to be told.

Posted by ted hughes on 31/07/2016 00:23:52:

This is not really a friendly forum. It is a Colonel Blimp forum of fuddy-duddies.

They will kill the hobby.

This post will be deleted tomorrow by them.

Edited By ted hughes on 31/07/2016 00:27:04

Got to disagree with you there Ted. You ask for any help and advice...you have it. People are only too willing to take an interest in what you are doing, in terms of new builds, problem shoving etc. giving up their time to help.

Edited By cymaz on 31/07/2016 07:31:19

"They will kill the hobby"

I'm sorry but what will kill this glorious hobby is by people acting in a negligent & reckless manner.

I'm sure the guys in question have learned a very hard lesson after their public flogging. Whether it's for good or bad time will tell?

The sun is out let's go flying (Safely) love

Posted by ted hughes on 31/07/2016 00:23:52:

This is not really a friendly forum. It is a Colonel Blimp forum of fuddy-duddies.

They will kill the hobby.

This post will be deleted tomorrow by them.

Edited By ted hughes on 31/07/2016 00:27:04

I know you posted your comments purely to be inflammatory but this is the issue as I see it;

No-one here is anywhere nearly enough irresponsible to "kill" the hobby. Let's face it, it will not be killed off. I dare say they cannot kill it off, we will always be able to enjoy what we do.

But . . . . . . . if anyone has any power to seriously limit or curtail the hobby that we enjoy it is those who act in such a reckless manner with their flying as those who posted their ridiculous antics as we have seen earlier on this thread.

Despite the provocation evident in some posts, I'm content to keep this thread running at present as it has largely been conducted in a civil manner, although it's clearly a contentious issue. I'm sure some would like nothing more than the thread to be locked or deleted but I'm not prepared to give them the satisfaction.

I'm leaving some of the more 'extreme' views for now as such comments often say more about the poster than the subject... please be clear that if anyone steps over the mark the usual forum sanctions will be applied.

This subject can be discussed without getting personal - it's just a matter of self-controlsmile

Pete

I notice a very interesting contradiction here.

A large majority of posters have criticised a group of people for flying dangerously in a very unsuitable area. and a few have said that this is wrong.

Over the last few months there has been a storm of criticism about drone pilots flying in unsuitable areas, namely near airports.

Personally I see no difference except possibly in the scale of the threat.

Perhaps those who feel that we are wrong to criticise the model flyers would also like to condemn those who criticise the drone pilots