A big pile of shavings later!

This is my latest build project, the TN Mustang, now all ready for covering. I'm going to try the Solarfilm, Prymol and paint method and will post some more photos once I'm done. I've found a Tamiya kit with a RAF polish squadron scheme. The Laser is an old 100, I moved the firewall back a bit to accommodate this and hollowed out the lower blocks, so the tank centre line is the same as the carb. Apart from this, the model went together as the plans and the CNC parts were excellent. It did take me while to figure out the best way to make, install and steer the retracting tail-wheel (adapted nose-leg retract, connected to the rudder).

I did completely fill a Henry hoover bag with the shavings but it's nice and curvy now!

20170129_222418a.jpg20170129_222527.jpg20170129_222652a.jpg20170129_222711a.jpg20170129_222749a.jpg

20170129_222932a.jpg

I love seeing these beautiful planes.

I just wish we could never see IC engines, we have now reached the position when it could all be electric.

I hate the sound of them, and apart from minority hobbies, I'll be glad when ic engines are banned. Nasty, noisy nonsense.

Edited By ted hughes on 30/01/2017 02:19:47

Looking good monster. I'm all electric these days and always think it's a shame when sleek nosed warbirds have chunks of engine and silencer sticking out, but you've done a good job of blending in that Laser.

I thought Hobbyking did retractable, steerable tailwheels, but it's been a while since I looked. Anyway, sounds like, as a proper modeller, you've found a way.

I've got Tony's Typhoon, it's a great flier.

dscn1038.jpg

Lovely! It is a bit of a feature of TN's design method that you "reveal the model" that seems to be hidden in a big square block of balsa!! Its a bit like sculpture. But the point of course is that it works - and it does reveal a beautiful model like this. Great work.

BEB

PS BTW guys lets focus here on admiring and commenting on a beautiful build - and not on a pointless IC vs Electric flame-war! The truth is both are totally valid, both are excellent - neither should be banned! We have enough potential enemies outside the hobby without turning on each orther! So let's leave that issue firmly parked there please.

Posted by ted hughes on 30/01/2017 02:18:46:

I love seeing these beautiful planes.

I just wish we could never see IC engines, we have now reached the position when it could all be electric.

I hate the sound of them, and apart from minority hobbies, I'll be glad when ic engines are banned. Nasty, noisy nonsense.

Edited By ted hughes on 30/01/2017 02:19:47

AH! Another of the "Ban everything that I don't like" Brigade.

And BEB, not starting an i.c./electric battle, just a moan at the " I don't like it so ban it" types. Sounds like Donald TRump doesn't it.

Looks cracking to me, and im sure the smooth sound of the Laser 100 will tempt even the most devout of leccy fliers

I would recommend a 15x8 for best flying performance and i would do the maiden without the cowling as your airflow out of the cowl looks a touch restrictive and you dont want it overheating while trying to get it trimmed. The 100 is pretty tolerant, but just keep an eye on it once the cow is fitted and if it sounds unhappy give it a bit more airflow.

It looks great doesn't it? I'm lucky enough to know Mat, he's a a very good builder and flyer so it should look even better when its finished. We've both signed up for the Bf 110 purchase from one of the other threads on this forum. I can't promise that will be his next build, I know there are several other models in the running.

@ModelMonster - that is truly a work of art.

There's nothing more satisfying than the sight of a completed airframe 'in the wood'. It's almost a pity all that skill has to be covered up. And the fit of that Laser is just perfect - by the time the finish is on it'll hardly be noticed.

Aww, thanks guys. It's nice to get a pat on the head once in a while.

The Mustang schemes from Denis are excellent and I think I'll go with the last one, as I find invasion stripes help with my flying / orientation, when the sky is grey.

Jon's tip of 1st flights with the cowl off are spot on. The cowl outlets do look small and in view of this I have slotted the fus behind the exhaust stacks and these I made from 10mm brass tube, so hopefully it'll be ok. If not, it will have to be out with the Dremel. Also, I do tend to use 20% nitro fuel, fully synthetic from Southern Modelcraft (I know Lasers don't need this but have several YS Engines and can't be bothered to have lots of different fuel flavours). This does mean the fuel consumption goes up a bit but also more oil goes through the engine and this seems to help with cooling (heat loss via the expelled oil perhaps?) and none of my glow models have ever gone rusty! One of this engines previous homes was in a much abused CM-Pro Warhawk, the cowl was quite big and I didn't have any holes in it at all, it still ran fine - I did have to take the cowl off every now and again and empty out the oil.

Lasers are lovely engines, so easy to operate and super reliable. My next assembly is likely to be a H9 Thunderbolt (that came my way recently, discontinued now) with a Laser 200 twin - Mmmmmmm.

Edited By Model Monster on 30/01/2017 17:15:07

Posted by Model Monster on 30/01/2017 17:14:12:

This does mean the fuel consumption goes up a bit but also more oil goes through the engine and this seems to help with cooling (heat loss via the expelled oil perhaps?)

Lasers are lovely engines, so easy to operate and super reliable. My next assembly is likely to be a H9 Thunderbolt (that came my way recently, discontinued now) with a Laser 200 twin - Mmmmmmm.

Edited By Model Monster on 30/01/2017 17:15:07

20% nitro, my goodness, i might have to have a lie down

In any case while the oil will have an effect its the methanol that keeps engines cool when running high nitro in the same way that water/methanol injection is used of full size engines to cool the charge when an intercooler is not installed.

As for the P47 two of my friends have them. One is powered by an Enya 155 and one by a DLE20. I flew the DLE version and while i hated the engine the model itself flew very well and had more than enough power. The Enya quipped version is arguably over powered so a 200v will damn near tear it apart if you are not careful with it. Our 155 single would monster it, as would our 160v as both of these would out pace both the Enya and the DLE

Thanks Jon, I wondered why engines seem more heat tolerant when using the higher nitro.

The P47 kit I've acquired is the H9 81" razorback version and flying weight is circa 17lb, I don't think this is available anymore. The instructions recommend up to a 2.10 4st. Do laser do domed prop nuts (can you make me one?).

han2700.jpg

Edited By Model Monster on 01/02/2017 11:25:26

ohhhh its the big one. You need a 300, perhaps a 360 depending on how porky it ends up. 17lbs is quite unlikely and 20 is more the order of the day. The same friend who has the smaller Enya powered P47 also has one of these and we will be putting it together this spring. He plans to use an Enya 240v and i think it will be ok but not over powered. I former club member also had one powered by a 200 and it was really pants, upgrading to our 300 had it made.

I have serveral models of this type myself and while arguably over powered in a straight line none are overpowered in the vertical. So i throttle back when level and open it up when up hill. Given that the fuselage is like the body of a small whale and that big cowling will be draggy i wouldnt risk the 200. Go for the 300 and if you have some power to spare then pull the loud stick back a little.

My models in this category are:

P39 - 81 inch approx 20lbs powered by 300v

La7 - 80 inch approx 19lbs powered by 300v

Seafury - 80 inch approx 23lbs powered by 360v

I also recommend you make some mods to the wing so you can fit 4.5'' wheels and not the pathetic little things that the kit suggests. While it will be a fair bit of effort the model will look better and perform better on takoff/landing. 

Edited By Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 01/02/2017 12:35:08