Warbird Replicas Bf 110 club.

I always used Humbrol enamels because of the variety of shades . But with the larger models and particularly the German colour schemes , it seemed that the green/grey/blues were available in such infinite variation that it was worth giving it a go . After all , Humbrol enamel is not remotely fuel proof , so it is only providing the colour.

In B&Q they do these book mark shaped "shade cards" , which have all the different shades of blue or green etc , with dark at one end and light at the other .

So I print off a decent picture of the full sized aircraft and wander down there to match up the colours with the shade card ,. They will have silly names like "moonlight blue " but that gives you the clue as to where find the match pots .

As they are water based , you can thin with water and clean with water.

I dont use an airbrush as they are designed for airfix kits . I use a £15 touch up gun from the internet . They will connect to your compressor just like the airbrush , but are far less fussy and will cover from 1/4" to 2" in one stroke. They do have a larger coupling but there is a standard reducer that brings the pipe down to badger size .

Can someone put some links please ?

Just put "top feed touch up gun " then reducer . The whole lot with post will cost £20 . You can retire your demanding and fussy airbrush .

Advert

Well Graham I have used this with my Iwata studio twin cylinder compressor at 35psi and it does the job fine, obviously a 8cfm compressor is better but I do have a selection I can use, for model use it does work well, my Iwata can deliver .88 cfm and I can run up to 4 airbrushes with it, I do have a single cylinder AS 186 compressor with tank as a back up and it is smaller so I can take it out for when I did offsite things and this does struggle, it will work but not as well, so if your compressor is a 30 - 40psi compressor and can deliver around .88cfm it is certainly worth the £16.00 to have a little bit more flexibility and not at the costs of some.

Posted by Paul Johnson 4 on 02/11/2017 13:54:16:
I used Humbrol enamels....damned expensive as used a lot of tins. Try the cheapy humbrol spray with the suction feed it covers quiet well if your compressor has a low cfm rate.

Do you know roughly how many tins you got through?

I am thinking of using Solarlac, but I need 6 different colours to mix to get the right colours according to their mixing chart. They won't get wasted as I will have another 2 warbirds to use them on

Received a box of goodies from Richard. Not sure if the grey or green one had the cookies though.

dscn0326.jpg

I had intended to build a "C" for electric power and "G" for ic power. However Richard phoned and suggested that due to having ali spinners available it might be better to have the "C" as the ic version. He kindly supplied a various selection of spinners to help me make up my mind. I wonder how many kit suppliers would spend the time on the phone to ensure that a customer was able to make an informed decision.

Cannot speak highly enough of Richard, it will be a sad loss to the RC community if Richard sneaks out of the back door.

Hope to make a start within the next month or so. Not sure if I will start new thread or continue on this one.

Kind Regards

SW

Hi Richard

I am looking for electric retracts for a twin I am building. Been following this thread and noted the good opinion of those you supplied . Could you give the spec /model number/retailer. My twin should come out around auw 5kg or hopefully less.

Regards

Alan

Posted by alan p on 08/11/2017 09:12:34:

Hi Richard

I am looking for electric retracts for a twin I am building. Been following this thread and noted the good opinion of those you supplied . Could you give the spec /model number/retailer. My twin should come out around auw 5kg or hopefully less.

Regards

Alan

PM sent Alan

Posted by gillyg1 on 08/11/2017 09:26:51:
Right guy's got the nacelle sides laminated up.question is do I sand them roughly to shape now,or wait until there on the wing. Reading the thread I see Paul did it one way and DD the other.

Now... depends if you a Northerner or Southener.😆

I did it off wing as the large amount of sanding involved, didn't want to damage the wing skin either through handling or sanding.

Posted by gillyg1 on 08/11/2017 09:26:51:
Right guy's got the nacelle sides laminated up.question is do I sand them roughly to shape now,or wait until there on the wing. Reading the thread I see Paul did it one way and DD the other.
Definatly off the wing. Much easier to work

Thanks guys, so obviously the front end we have the ovalish template from the laser cut ply.do I use that all the way down? Or are they tapered in?is the top above the wing different too underneath? Or am I making it to difficult. Just don't want to cock it up and need it to look right.