Warbird Replicas Bf 110 club.

Tail assembly is now finished, ready to be glued on to the fuse. I started off by silver soldering part of a quick link to etc U shaped elevator connection wire, this will act as the control arm which will be operated by a lightweight snake inside the fuse. This way both the rudder and elevator controls will all be hidden. But that then creates a bit of a logic puzzle as I need to assemble in each bit in the right order otherwise things will get hidden! As you will see in the following photos I have covered the tail pieces, Solartex for the rudders and elevators, and laminating film for the fins and tailplane. I did start out using parchment and diluted PVA (as per brown paper method) but I prefer laminating film. Why yellow 'tex, because I have some odd bits laying around waiting to be used on something and as it will be painted, why not?!!

fullsizeoutput_15c7.jpeg

Slot (it will be cleaned up!) cut in the crutch for the control arm

fullsizeoutput_15c8.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_15c9.jpeg

What the tail assembly looks like covered (elevators have not been glued on in this photo and U joiner isn't in place hence the different angles)

fullsizeoutput_15ca.jpeg

Still not sure if it's going to be a night fighter version, allthough the twin vertical guns look great!

vert guns 1.jpg

vert guns 2.jpg

In case you were wondering, the build hasn't stopped but it is (as predicted) slow! Anyway I've just about finished the fuse now, the shaping of which took a long time and there is quite a bit of sanding involved plus there were some anomalies in the lining up of some of the veneered foam pieces and the balsa infills.

Some photos of where we are.

Tailwheel added, it is fixed as i wanted to keep it simple and I feel that any ground handling issues (taxiing) can be addressed with differential throttle controls on a rotary knob (switched off in flight!!)

fullsizeoutput_15cc.jpeg

Lightweight snake and servo extension lead fitted

fullsizeoutput_15cd.jpeg

Elevator servo fitted (cut hole on crutch so that it didn't conflict with wing mounting).

fullsizeoutput_15cf.jpeg

Servo base will be boxed in as part of the radio operator's dash / instruments.

fullsizeoutput_15d2.jpeg

Lots of planing and sanding

fullsizeoutput_15d4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_15d5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_15d7.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

In case you're wondering, things haven't stopped on teh build, just taking a long time due to limited time to devote to the build!

After joining the wings and adding the LE and false TE I set about adding the concealed hinges 'cover strips'. To fit these to the wings I had to form a recess in etc false TE so made up this sanding block (as many other have done).

fullsizeoutput_15db.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_15da.jpeg

I was then able to fit the thin ply cover strips

fullsizeoutput_15de.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_15dc.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_15dd.jpeg

The wing was then covered using laminating film. I decided to cover the wing before fitting the nacelles as I think it will be easier to cut out the film rather than have to cut up to the nacelles - time will tell.

fullsizeoutput_15e2.jpeg

I then made 2 'marker bolts' to make sure that the wing mounting bolt holes would be cut in the right place.

fullsizeoutput_15e3.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_15e4.jpeg

Hi Graham. Yes, you lightly sand the lam film with very fine paper, I use well worn paper, until the gloss is gone then apply primer etc as per normal. I’ve used it on my LA-7 which is glow powered, for about 20 flights so far without any problem so hopefully the same will be true here.

• 6 months later...

Well it’s been ages since I reported on any progress on the BF110 but at the end of August I had completed and covered the wings so the next step was fitting the nacelles, u/c, motors etc. And that is about where my enthusiasm dwindled leaving me to get on with other things.

Fast forward to now and I’m at the prep and paint stage for the wings. The lam film got a good sanding down to provide a decent key for the undercoat but that also has a side benefit of highlighting any areas that aren’t completely stuck down. Having addressed that I gave the underside of the wing a coat of grey which I then rubbed down to a really nice silky smooth finish. I then applied chart tape in the rough (artistic licence) position of the panels, blew them over with 3 more (localised) coats of undercoat, then the somewhat lengthy but therapeutic task of removing the tapes. Ended up with this.

B960DFA0-8127-495E-991D-AC38E7065D6F.thumb.jpeg.bed5a83a2f3d0273c845d9092ef4bdae.jpegDF97003E-4368-470C-8DAE-4117426979CB.thumb.jpeg.6068a4cb14fef50fc89a0ae914f34552.jpeg

Am once again very pleased with the paint on lam film. 

Now for the topside!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Having now completed the Leprechaun XL and had several flights with the new Laser 200 in-line twin, I decided to go back to the BF110 which, once again, had been gathering dust. No sooner had I started then I was struck by a back problem, the wife says that it was due to too many hours standing in the workshop and too many hours standing up at the flying field, she may have a point. Anyway I have eventually made some progress, the wings are now ready for top coat as is the tailplane assembly (note that I will leave the undercoat as it is so that, hopefully, the topcoat will be uneven!!).

IMG_5955.thumb.JPG.b7c45b638dbe6703c3c212d08412c58d.JPG

IMG_5956D.thumb.JPG.2573e434391130ee083acb21ff148a2f.JPG

Typically I had incorrectly 3D printed 2 of the exhaust stacks so that is being rectified as I type. I've decided on a different colour scheme so the paint for that are on their way, should arrive Friday, so that gives me enough time to cover the fuse (lam film, of course), undercoat it and apply the panel lines. With luck I should be applying finishing coats over the weekend.

• Like 1

Was wondering if you had progressed yours further Graham, glad to hear that it's still coming together! I too was thinking of doing the desert scheme but have decided to do the 'home front' one instead, possibly with a big mother of a canon in a belly pod! Probably not strictly factual but who knows / does it matter??

2 minutes ago, Dwain Dibley. said:

Very nice Ron.

I enjoyed building this model, been sold a while now.

I stood in my workshop for 11 days straight last week and the week before, and I have back pain, Cycling to work this week has sorted it out tho. LOL

D.D.

I've had back pain before but not like this, it's been a really pain in the........'back'. Happily it seems to be drifting away now and I can stand for longer periods, enough to get some building in and with the weather forecast not to be that good for the next few days, plus no work booked in for the next week, it means enforced building time in the workshop!

Is that sticky back foil/ tape Ron .

Or litho plate, either way looking good.

Wrt = panel lines - thought i'd try the marker pen method , black , white,over sprayed with tamiya smoke, as described else where.

Never tried this before but looks very effective.

Will give it a practice first on my old La7 wing.?

‘Sticky back aluminium tape’ as used for sealing joints on foil backed plasterboard Gilly.

Drawn / painted panel lines are good, just that I like to see some depth in the joints. I’ve done them oversize to allow for some topcoat paint filling and weathering. After all, it’s not true scale, more stand-well-off scale.