Warbird Replicas Bf 110 club.

So presumably Ron  you will be attaching the canopy after painting ? 

I have always done the opposite, detail cockpit,pilots then canopy.

"Masked up" then sprayed.

Only thinking of colour matching - canopy to surrounding fus. Do you find this a problem, agreed it would save masking out the windows , so do you hand / brush paint the canopy. Then glue in pisition? 

Edited by gillyg1

In this case I can mask and spray either on or off the fuse as the paint for the canopy will be the dark green and will blend in with the top of the fuse. It really does depend on how I will be fixing the canopy and as this one will be screw fixed I need to make sure that the fuse is made to match the canopy. The cockpit interior will be 3D printed with a 2 piece base incorporating electronic 'boxes' (to cover the servo) and 2 dashboards, one for the pilot and the other for the nav / rear gunner.

Bits to complete, tailplane assembly glued to fuse and elevator infill plus servo access hatch added,

IMG_5969.thumb.JPG.010ea0bd8f6d94c138139e722d8d3e5e.JPG

After primer undercoat on the new bits it was time to spray the underside with the blue (honest it is blue despite looking grey!)

IMG_5970D.thumb.JPG.4b5e1581c40c7c25429dc5003e518116.JPG

Canopy was masked then sprayed, rubbed back a bit, dark wash applied then rubbed back again to highlight weathered edges and fixings.

IMG_5971.thumb.JPG.a95facbba0feb37ee9147ee895aa0c20.JPG

Edited by Ron Gray
  • Like 3

A few folks have PM'd me asking where I get the spray paint from, this is who I now use Graff-City, they have a fantastic range of colours, their prices are good (£4.25 per can of the colours I've shown above) plus they do a range of different spray nozzle sizes Caps.

I should make it clear that I have no tie up with this company other than I buy stuff from them!

For those guys who have built the BF, what AUW did you arrive at. Mine is 4.7Kg with 2 x 3700mAh 4s batteries but to get the C of G as per the destructions I’ve had to add 70g right on the tail.

Hoping to maiden it tomorrow with no jewellery and with it in an unfinished paint stage as I’m not too pleased with the finish (colour and application) so it may change.

On 06/08/2017 at 14:05, Dwain Dibley. said:

Richard asked me if my 110 balanced without ballast, and the answer, once I moved the retract battery onto the c of g, is YES. 4 inches behind F2.

She weighs in at 4860g or 10 Lb 10 oz....That's batteries, props, spinners the lot

D.D.

/sites/3/images/member_albums/25381/758098.jpg

/sites/3/images/member_albums/25381/758097.jpg

There You go Ron, took me ages to find that post Matey.  ??

Edited by Dwain Dibley.
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

As it hasn't got a steerable tailwheel I've set up (switched) differential throttle controlled by the rudder stick so wanted to see if it worked. (Shame it doesn't have brakes!!!)

You built a Luftwaffe radar station as a backdrop for the night fighter taxi trials? Now that is true dedication to scale fidelity! ?

Edited by leccyflyer
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Dwain Dibley. said:

You like making me work Ron..........LOL

I did some more reading, and it would seem that I moved the battery from the nose, rearwards, to the CofG.

D.D.

Thanks again D.D. Good to know that yours was nose heavy to start with too!

I remember yours D.D, so fingers crossed and all that!

@Eric Robson you know what it's like Eric (and you should know the way you churn them out) once you get an idea in your head............... To be honest I spent a lot / most of the first painting session cleaning the Air Brush as it clogged using some of the grey paint. In the end I stripped it right down and soaked all of the bits then attacked them with a small paint brush removing all paint residue, after that it was fine. Just going to look to see if there are some 3D print files on line for the guns, if not I'll set about drawing some up myself.