Warbird Replicas Bf 110 club.

A couple of videos taken from today's flying (didn't take any yesterday). Both landings are pretty rubbish!!!

I prefer this one as it is a little bit more polished and has better (IMO) audio.

Edited by Ron Gray
  • Like 4

Great Video and flight Ron . Nice landing too . It certainly looks smooth in flight . I think you may have to measure C of G and other relevant spec to encourage the others to wheel out their Zerstorers for little outing . 
We have plenty of evidence of both the 110 and 88 showing their charming manners , so if Ron and Eric have got theirs sorted ,we should see some more shortly . 

Wow Ron!!!!! Very nice. enjoyed the videos. As Richard mentioned , could you give us some indication where the CofG is on yours is.

What length do you need for a  take off (we have grass). I have got to take my 'Hanger Queen' out to earn its keep.

I'll carry out a 'final' weighing session and double check where my C of G is tomorrow plus other info on my flying specs. Regarding grass take off, I haven't tried one yet as I have a nice area of tarmac and concrete but we also have a grass (full size) strip next to our patch so I'll give that a go next week (I'm working for the next couple of days so no more flying this week for me!). I don't see that it will be an issue as there is enough power and the balance seems to be fine, the only thing I have done that is slightly different is that due to having a fixed tailwheel I have got asymmetrical / differential throttle which is operated by the rudder stick (via 2 throttle curves) which gives me steering control on take off and landing / taxiing. There is a master switch which I use to switch it off after take off and back on again as it touches down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

Great Video and flight Ron . Nice landing too . It certainly looks smooth in flight . I think you may have to measure C of G and other relevant spec to encourage the others to wheel out their Zerstorers for little outing . 
We have plenty of evidence of both the 110 and 88 showing their charming manners , so if Ron and Eric have got theirs sorted ,we should see some more shortly . 

Thanks Richard, but the landings in these 2 vids were rubbish, typically the third flight which wasn't filmed was much better as I didn't use flaps. The problem I had (lack of thought / planning) was that there was quite a stiff breeze blowing (circa 15mph) so flaps weren't necessary and in using them I slowed it down too much too soon which resulted in low speed landings. I prefer to come in faster which produces a much smoother / flatter landing and a lot more scale like (reference the maiden video above). Part of the learning curve!

Something else I tried today was a stall and with the stiff breeze, no power and full up elevator it just mushed down, very predictable and safe. I also tried gliding it, well to be honest I had to in order to re-start the sound system as it needed to go back to zero throttle for a minute in order for it to get into its sequence. anyway I can say that it doesn't glide that well but is not panic inducing either.

But for anyone out there who has one but has been a bit reluctant to fly it, you can see from my videos that it is a rather nice, stable 'plane.

• Like 4

As promised, herewith 'technical' details of my BF110

All up flying weight - 4.5Kg

C of G - 90mm back from LE at root.

Motors - 2x (HobbyKing) SK3 4250 500.

ESC - 2x (HobbyKing) YEP 60a

Batteries - 2x 4s 3700 mAh, 1 x 3s 850 mAh for sound system.

Flight times - 8 minutes of 75 - 100% throttle use, 40% battery remaining.

• Like 2

On 02/06/2021 at 21:47, Graham R said:

Wow Ron!!!!! Very nice. enjoyed the videos. As Richard mentioned , could you give us some indication where the CofG is on yours is.

What length do you need for a  take off (we have grass). I have got to take my 'Hanger Queen' out to earn its keep.

@Graham Rwell today I decided to do some 'grass ops'. Our grass is a light aircraft runway and at the moment the grass is about 2" long, well it certainly hid my wheels from view! Take off was no problem and it did it in about 50 - 60ft, landings were a non event. So totally suitable for 'grass ops'.

The only problem I had today was that, due to the heat, 26 - 27C, the twin gun barrels for the rear gunner have bent! My fault for printing in PLA, but at least it can now shoot around corners!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks @David Davis, you've got to hand it to @RICHARD WILLS (and the 'boys') they certainly know how to design a great model! I got a comment yesterday from someone who hadn't seen it fly before that it flies so realistically and has tremendous presence. He then went on to ask if there was a Mosquito available - you can but wish, and wish and hope and pray!

• 4 weeks later...

Well I'm still flying it, 4 flights today, and still loving every minute of flying it. I tried some aerobatics with it today loops, rolls, Immelmann's, reversals etc etc and to be honest, whilst it did them it wasn't scale IMO. What it excels at is big swooping manoeuvres with nice low passes like these:

IMG_4851.thumb.jpg.b8a6b906969f2a3ee76979f3f6d7a828.jpg

IMG_4850.thumb.jpg.8f0fba246aec82d421207d8c8f8a2ef5.jpg

• Like 2