BMFA NAtional Centre website launched

Advert

I can only applaud the initiative.

I see that the Universities challenge is headed that way, not as sure, as i have always been less than convinced that east of Leicester is the best location, for many things. But hey, many universities, or should that be the students, do enjoy a good week end at the bar and why not.

As long as it is made to pay, great.

Assuming it is made a viable venue,I am looking forward for a similar resource in the Northern powerhouse. After all a good part of the English population is located in this belt.

Any way, well done.

Posted by Erfolg on 17/03/2017 18:41:07:

I can only applaud the initiative.

I see that the Universities challenge is headed that way, not as sure, as i have always been less than convinced that east of Leicester is the best location, for many things. But hey, many universities, or should that be the students, do enjoy a good week end at the bar and why not.

As long as it is made to pay, great.

Assuming it is made a viable venue,I am looking forward for a similar resource in the Northern powerhouse. After all a good part of the English population is located in this belt.

Any way, well done.

I understand that Leeds is considered to be part of the Northern Powerhouse. Buckminster is closer to Leeds (97 miles) than to the centre of London (105), which virtually the same as Manchester (108) and only slightly less than Liverpool (128). The population of London is similar to that of the NPH. Even Southampton (176) is the same distance away as Newcastle. Britain's second largest city is less than 70 miles away.

Edited By Keith Lomax on 20/03/2017 11:53:07

Bit of a drag from North Wales. Going West to East you end up cutting across the main North to South arterial roads. I estimate its at least a 3.5 hour drive with no stops each way. As I'm an insulin dependant diabetic my medical licence restrictions say no more than 2 hours driving before a break. So, say 4.5 hour trip to get there, not that I would feel like doing any thing after that. In reality it would be a minimum 3 day expedition. Add in the variability of the UK weather. Not a practical proposition without even looking at the finances.

Posted by Keith Lomax on 20/03/2017 11:27:39:

I understand that Leeds is considered to be part of the Northern Powerhouse. Buckminster is closer to Leeds (97 miles) than to the centre of London (105), which virtually the same as Manchester (108) and only slightly less than Liverpool (128). The population of London is similar to that of the NPH. Even Southampton (176) is the same distance away as Newcastle. Britain's second largest city is less than 70 miles away.

So stop whinging as it's an hour or two away from everyone - except for Mark on his pushbike...

Posted by DH 82A on 20/03/2017 13:00:24:

I see there is no mention of a tarmac or concrete runway.

Yep, there has never been any indication of if/when a tarmac runway would be provided in any of the materials distributed since the Buckminster site was announced - they go to the end of phase 2, but that de The latest information available is on the full BMFA site here; I also posted a précis it in the definitive NFC thread in case that presentation later became unavailable as with some previous NFC materials.

Andy - I may be missing it, but that presentation is not linked/displayed on the new site. It may be a good idea to get it posted up there too, and/or have the materials on the main BMFA site point people straight over to the new site.

Gonzo - it's even further from South Wales, and like you I'm on insulin. Won't stop me going to try the campsite out though, provided the NHS ever lets me see the orthopaedic consultant to sort my back out. That's preventing me from driving for more than 15 minutes at the moment, never mind 2 hours.

Graeme

Yep, there has never been any indication of if/when a tarmac runway would be provided in any of the materials distributed since the Buckminster site was announced - they go to the end of phase 2.

We have always said that later developments will depend on the availability of funding. This could come from donations, sponsorship or usage of the centre - there are no plans at present to increase subscriptions to pay for this (and as Treasurer, I hope that there never will be). The grass runway, however, should be a very good one.

Morning Keith Lomax. When you mention funding and no increase in subscriptions , Was there ever a mention of BMFA members having to pay to use it. ? I have no axe to grind as i will not be using it. But to buy a season ticket at £60 from May to Dec, What will it be next year £100. I think you will have some dissatisfied members, on top of the Country members that did not get a vote on this venture ? I hope its a success but not at a cost to members.

Edited By CARPERFECT on 22/03/2017 09:05:48

I don't know if usage charges were specifically stated previously but that has always been the intention, and would have been mentioned if asked. I doubt anybody will have assumed otherwise. That was certainly part of the information provided to the Council Members, who include the Area Delegates.

There will be a daily usage charge as well. The idea is that the centre income at least covers operational running costs so that the wider membership is not subsiding those who happen to live close enough to make more use of it. Even BMFA technical committees will be charged to book a flight line to hold a competition.