Is traditional building a disappearing art?

ChrisB

Hi All,

I love building and always have since I started in this hobby back in 1990. It is a time issue I find that I can grab an hour or two most evenings after work, but trying to find the right weather and not have any family commitments to go flying is a lot harder.

The forms of building I do is mostly is kit or plan form plus I have assembled three ARTF's. I have built scratch built two aircraft and a third is on the way two which were drawn whilst I was on sick leave from work. These have been a great pleasure to build and for me increase the satisfaction level of that of a kit build, they do of course present problems along the way, but as yet they have not been unsolvable just a lot of head scratching. Of course by building a model it allows you to create an individual model

I think it is down to the modeller and the time they have available to them.

dsc09135.jpg

My scratch built Short Stirling on it's ill fated maiden flight

dsc09486.jpg

My current scratch built model, a FW 200 Condor, this has caused a lot of head scratching but it is well on the way.

dsc09730 (800x533).jpg

Plan built Beaufighther with torpedo drop, still waiting for me to get up the nerve to fly her.

dsc05580 (640x427).jpg

Galaxy Models Chipmunk in BA colours

Regards

Robert

I've been reading this thread with interest as I've just got back into the hobby after a very long break.

My views for what they are worth, which is exactly what you paid for them, are looking around this forum there are many exceptionally good builders and many other capable/competent builders.

I myself have just finished my first build in over four decades, I did a blog in the builders forum, "Madcap" and although not up to the standard of some builders here it gave me a great deal of pleasure and satisfaction not to mention learning lots of new things.

I'm now half way through my second build, a 4ch. trainer as up to now I've never flown anything radio controlled.

I stand / sit in awe of builds like the bf110 and Condor,etc. something I can only dream of achieving but I will attempt a scale model sometime in the near(ish) future just to see if I can.........

The spin off from my efforts are that my son in law is showing some interest and my grandson. although still very young loves to see what I'm up to.

Just to clarify I'm only interested in traditionally built balsa models and I'm very glad many here are likewise, my only concession to modern developments is that I shall probably try an electric powered model at some point nerd

Another angle is this:

Just how many schools have aero-modelling clubs? I'd bet the answer is a big fat round zero!

Also, the pride of place in most school DT workshops is the laser-cutter or even a CNC machine, combined with an array of screens and keyboards. Any bench-planes or chisels still in existence won't be properly honed or tuned (because the teacher doesn't know how), so the practice - and joy -of making things properly will never really be experienced.

If we wish to future-proof 'traditional' skills, then this is where it would have to start...

... or where its been neglected for a whole generation already!

Jon

Posted by Jonathan M on 15/04/2017 13:37:10:

Another angle is this:

Just how many schools have aero-modelling clubs? I'd bet the answer is a big fat round zero!

Also, the pride of place in most school DT workshops is the laser-cutter or even a CNC machine, combined with an array of screens and keyboards. Any bench-planes or chisels still in existence won't be properly honed or tuned (because the teacher doesn't know how), so the practice - and joy -of making things properly will never really be experienced.

If we wish to future-proof 'traditional' skills, then this is where it would have to start...

... or where its been neglected for a whole generation already!

Jon

Start writing to the government then, because it is they that designed and implemented the National Curriculum.

In this day and age the use of CNC should make kit production a lot more affordable than it used to be. That said though we aeromodellers all have different desires for our next project which makes it a challenge to manufacturers. You only have to look at the range of plans against the range of kits and also ARTF's to understand. While one can argue that the range of kits available should be good to encourage kit building, it would be interesting to see what the most popular designs are and understand how interests change over the years.

There is a good possible survey or opportunity to see 'what sells' there me thinks.

The range of plans should be more than adequate to nurture people's desires for building models that interest them or others, or are unique etc.

I owe my interest in building to many designs from RCM&E, RCMW and Radio Modeller with some of the oldies that stick in mind being Unicorn, Antares, Stringalong, Gordon Whitehead's Tiger Moth, Gypsy Moth and Hawker Demon, Short Skyvan, Sierra Sportster, Thunderbolt, Tucano, Plus, and Hawker Sea Fury that either inspired me or I ended up building.

The airframe featured is a home design , Like a vast majority of his aircraft , They all go under the designer 's name of Jack Russell, , I think thats his dog ! , but he will tell you JR was a well known designer from Doncaster , The tale goes on and on untill you actually believe there was a JR, This one is a Rathound , see the dog connection ??

As I have said before its takes this builder years to complete an aircraft ,but if you are interested , I shall continue to post the photos ,

Can you tell his actual job was a jeweller ? I say was cos now he is well retired ,

So long live the scratch builders !!!

and I will dig out a photo of his wot 4 which he modified by keeping the engine position low but adding twin banks of rocker gear and an open cockpit just rear of the wings giving a 20s to 30s sportster look , the only recognisable Wot4 bit left was the classic Wot4 rudder shape !

cheers

In all fairness to old fashioned systems, I will use technology every time if I can. Do I fancy starting the steam engine before I get the lathe going, no thanks. Or even a boy turning the lead screw to make a bit of threaded rod. And a cnc cutter takes to my mind just as much skill to maintain and operate. Just a different set of skills.

I'm not against CAD design or CNC/laser cut parts, nor do I draw a distinction between natural materials and man-made. I'm currently making a rubber-powered scale Spitfire with superbly accurate lasered balsa parts - although its probably taken more time to sand off the burn marks than if I'd built from a plan, which for free flight I've also done.

The distinction for me is between the workmanship of 'risk' and the workmanship of 'certainty', whatever the material. ARTFs are the extreme point of one, scratch builds the other, kits of any description fall between the two.

Jon